HELP! Something's Happening

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't. I would rather have a simple plain vegetable oil to cook with that is made in America. And when I buy olive oil, I purchase California olive oil. It is rather pricey, but I use it sparingly and it lasts quite a long time. I find it has a better taste than the imported. I am a very strong believer in "Buy America First." I just don't go around spouting my preferences in that department. Not unless someone asks me. No lectures. Just a private matter for me.

I am of Native American descent. It is part of my nature to think along those lines.

You actually already said that in this thread. Anyway, it's perfectly edible. Don't be surprised if your "plain vegetable oil" contains some canola oil, though.

It suffocates them. Kills them dead.
So would any other oil and we don't call those insecticides and it doesn't seem to be the main way canola oil protects plants from insects.

According to the article that Blissful linked to:

"Canola oil is considered safe for human consumption. Scientists believe that canola oil repels insects by altering the outer layer of the leaf surface or by acting as an insect irritant." https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/fs_PC-011332_25-Nov-09.pdf

So would any other oil and we don't call those insecticides and it doesn't seem to be the main way canola oil protects plants from insects.

According to the article that Blissful linked to:

"Canola oil is considered safe for human consumption. Scientists believe that canola oil repels insects by altering the outer layer of the leaf surface or by acting as an insect irritant." https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/fs_PC-011332_25-Nov-09.pdf
Thanks.

I also found this. Using any oil may not be a good idea for K'girl's situation: "Both soaps and oils can cause damage to plants if applied when plants are water stressed, temperatures are above 90 °F, or high humidity prevents rapid drying. Some plants are sensitive to oil sprays. Read and follow the label."

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/pesticide/hgic2770.html

Well, further update:
I moved everybody over to the East side of the house, where they can be protected from the rather harsh, direct Sun right about now, as well as the unbelievably brutal winds as well.
I dusted the affected plants with Sevin (being VERY careful, I had on latex disposable gloves and a mask and eye protection, I'm not keen on insecticides) and prior to that I watered them all well and placed a nice bed of mulch of Pine Needles that I clipped from the community trees on everyone.
They were doing so well on the patio and then the excessive heat and brutal winds came along!
That seems to be the culprit as well as adding in the Flea Beatles, but after the Sevin they seem to be albeited.
MAHALO EVERYONE!!!

My aunt wrote me that she lives in utah and their airport shut down and she is being shuttled to vegas because the planes at her airport can't fly over 114 degrees F. Crazy harsh and hot! Your poor cucumbers!

It's really hot for this area, 104 with thunderstorms excepted, but that should cool it off it would rain!
Thank the stars above that we DO NOT live the greater Phoenix area, now that's brutal!
For about 2 seconds, we considered moving there, then reality set in,
"WHAT ARE WE THINKING?!"
I feel for the three young men working on our landscape project, I've been checking on them, giving cool drinks, popsicles, cold fruit, anything to help cool them down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom