Help with using fertilizer......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have finally started the process of creating my first garden. The final plot size will be a 7' x 11'. The outline of the plot itself was prepared fairly recently, and I will probably start planting vegetable seeds in it by the end of next week. The square footage of my current plot size, which is a 5' x 9' is 45 square feet. I don't know what the new square footage will be for the 7' x 11' plot.

The only thing I really need to do is fill it with topsoil and this is where I need help. I plan to fill my plot with a mixture of topsoil and fertilizer. My question is this: what is the ratio of topsoil
to fertilizer that I should use? My crops will all be cool weather. They are:

Cabbage
Snow peas
romaine lettuce
spinach
carrots
scallions
sweet onion (???)

Also I realize this is off-topic, but what variety of onion grows best in Florida? To my knowledge the varieties of onions that can be grown are red, yellow, scallions, and white onions. I am assuming that yellow onions grow best in southern parts of the United States, but I'm unsure on this. Confirmation regarding this would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure if there is a specific ratio of soil amount to fertilizer...In an area that size you want need much.... Maybe talk to your local garden center folks... they can best advise you based on your soil type, crop varieties, etc, and recommend an application rate for your garden size.

HTH and Have Fun!

SP 103/VH021: Florida Vegetable Gardening Guide

This link will take you to the Florida Extension webpage on gardening, which has a list of recommended plants and planting dates.

Follow the link at the top of the page to your local office, and call them. They can do a soil test for you, and tell you exactly what you need to add to your garden.

Enjoy--nothin' like playing in the dirt for a good time!

Back
Top Bottom