Herb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Heve you ever heard about summer or winter Savory? And if yes where can I buy it? I do not believe I have ever seen it in any store. Maybe it has a different name?

Summer Savory is an annual herb related to the perrenial, or winter savory. Summer savory ahs a more pronounced flavor, and is commonly sold in the spice rack at grocery stores. Savory, in general, is similar to oregano in flavor, but milder. It's great in stews, tomato sauces, and with meats like lamb, pork, goat, and venison. It also goes well with most foul.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Charlie,

As the Chief says, it is somewhat milder than oregano, stronger than marjoram. You can buy this at any food coop or Whole Foods in their bulk herb's spices aisle.

I have used in soup, stew, spaghetti sauce, and on a roast chicken. It's a nice herb that blends in with just about anything.

It is easy to grow from seed if you can find the seeds. I usually have both in my herb garden. I get the plants (if I haven't started the seeds) at my local garden store.

a pizza place near me uses summer savory in their pizza sauce and a sprinkle of it on top of the cheese.

for a long time i wondered what made their pizza so distinctive from other places, and when i figured it out one of the owners got upset and asked me which one of his workers spilled the beans.

lol, i told him that i had a jar of savory in my spice rack, and just happened to grab it thinking it was oregano one night when i was making sauce. bingo! it was their pizza sauce.

My husband wants me to "re-do" my herb garden, which is the only part of our yard I actually like. Wants me to turn it into all potted plants. Why doesn't he concentrate on parts of our property I hate anyway (seriously) and leave my to my herb and vegetable plots?

Redo it, Claire. Get all the plants dug up and set aside and then, in that nice loose dirt, BURY him. Replant the herbs and no-one will know. Except you and me, and I ain't telling.

Thank you everybody. I don't know how I've missed it till now. Will have to pay closer atention next time in the store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom