How's Your Garden Doin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
Mine's been so so,I've planted along borders.Took over my kids old playground,and have a huge plot to work with.Everything but the corn and green onions are doing what they should be doing, growing.

Started from seeds and hardening them off was a challenge.They will soon get the final move to the ground in about a week.
Wouldn't you know it,when I thought my Roma's from seeds wouldn't make it they did,after I cheated and bought Early Girls..Go figure.I think they're messing with me :)

The garden is...
Maters
Corn,Early and Late
Cucumbers
Squash
Green Beans,
Jalapeno's
Habanero's
Yellow Bell Peppers
Red Bell's
Banana Peppers
Green Onions
Potatoes
some Lettuce,Broccoli
Garlic
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
That about does it.

Munky.

Wow, great kitchen garden! I just have the fruit trees this year and a large plot of what I like to call "native plants", AKA weeds. :ermm:

Wow, great kitchen garden! I just have the fruit trees this year and a large plot of what I like to call "native plants", AKA weeds. :ermm:

What kind of fruit trees are you growing?
I wouldn't mind a few fruit trees in my back yard..It's just finding the right type for this part of Cali.I'm always undecided.

Munky.

Parsley,2 oregano,tarragon, marjoram,rosemary,basil,dill,thyme,3 peach trees,2 apple, one fujii and one gala,a nectarine,orange,tangerine, a combo nectrine and white peach, one apricot,10 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers,2 watermelon,onions,2 eggplant,2 red bells, 1 long green Italian, and 2 rows of lettuce.
kadesma

Mine's been so so,I've planted along borders.Took over my kids old playground,and have a huge plot to work with.Everything but the corn and green onions are doing what they should be doing, growing.

Started from seeds and hardening them off was a challenge.They will soon get the final move to the ground in about a week.
Wouldn't you know it,when I thought my Roma's from seeds wouldn't make it they did,after I cheated and bought Early Girls..Go figure.I think they're messing with me :)

The garden is...
Maters
Corn,Early and Late
Cucumbers
Squash
Green Beans,
Jalapeno's
Habanero's
Yellow Bell Peppers
Red Bell's
Banana Peppers
Green Onions
Potatoes
some Lettuce,Broccoli
Garlic
Thyme
Oregano
Basil
Parsley
That about does it.

Munky.

Munky - How YOU doin'.... seriously, I wish I had the stamina to keep the local critters from a garden. Even took a couple of pictures today (crappy ones) of a new born fawn left to hide on its on i the yard while cutting grass today. Missed it by about 3'.

What the heck, here's a poor picture form my cell camera (cheap) but I can't blame it for the quality anymore than the photographer.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/clearsecret98/NewFawn.jpg?t=1243116928 (pops) And no, it won't be too tender a deer. I hunt/fish, but I don't in my own yard.

So if you'd like to adopt me, I'll bring the meat if you bring the garden :)

Casper (Bob)

Munky - How YOU doin'.... seriously, I wish I had the stamina to keep the local critters from a garden. Even took a couple of pictures today (crappy ones) of a new born fawn left to hide on its on i the yard while cutting grass today. Missed it by about 3'.

What the heck, here's a poor picture form my cell camera (cheap) but I can't blame it for the quality anymore than the photographer.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/clearsecret98/NewFawn.jpg?t=1243116928 (pops) And no, it won't be too tender a deer. I hunt/fish, but I don't in my own yard.

So if you'd like to adopt me, I'll bring the meat if you bring the garden :)

Casper (Bob)

That's a great picture of the fawn.Good save! :)
My cell phone is 10 yrs old,it doesn't even take pictures or does all that texting.
Our only critter problem at the time is my golden retriever..He's a vegetarian.I had to build a make shift fence to keep him out,set penny cans out as traps he never liked those.So far he's not in the exploring mood.:LOL:

Munky.

Parsley,2 oregano,tarragon, marjoram,rosemary,basil,dill,thyme,3 peach trees,2 apple, one fujii and one gala,a nectarine,orange,tangerine, a combo nectrine and white peach, one apricot,10 tomatoes, 2 cucumbers,2 watermelon,onions,2 eggplant,2 red bells, 1 long green Italian, and 2 rows of lettuce.
kadesma

I envy you. If I had the choice choosing between growing fruit or veggies.I'd choose the trees..

Munky.

well (luvs humbled).....
my basil is drooping & my scallion onions were purchased today.
for my indoor windowbox.
cept, i'm a city-girl.

every thing in my veggies in pots is doing well. lettuce is ready, spinach almost. lots of green tomatoes on the three plants. squash and egg plant have blossoms. green onions are up, and carrots are getting big. i have harvested . the basil. garlic not ready. can't wait to start eating some of this.

That's a great picture of the fawn.Good save! :)
My cell phone is 10 yrs old,it doesn't even take pictures or does all that texting.
Our only critter problem at the time is my golden retriever..He's a vegetarian.I had to build a make shift fence to keep him out,set penny cans out as traps he never liked those.So far he's not in the exploring mood.:LOL:

Munky.

The reason why I said I'd bring the meat is that I gave up on gardening. I have around 20 or so deer in the yard at multiple times a day, hawks, owls, ground hogs, raccoon, rabbit, moles, even the occasional flock of turkeys nad a fox or two, etc.

The season that I did all the precautionary things, fencing buried, powdered red pepper on the fruits, etc., I had what I assume was a raccoon take a single bite overnight out of each and every single tomato fruit I was growing... 8 plants, maybe 60 fruit at the time just shortly before turning red. That ended my gardening here. Now I do a couple of potted tomato plants sitting on top of a cord of firewood, but growing other things at the moment are not something I want to stress on yet :)

That was evil... "one" bite out of each fruit? That was someone giving me a sign.

Wished I could have had better pictures for you. Those type pictures don't come every day. Love living in the country.

Regards,

Bob

DH and the youngest grandson finally got the tomatoes and peppers in. It has rained so much, there was no point in letting them sit out there and turn yellow.

The reason why I said I'd bring the meat is that I gave up on gardening. I have around 20 or so deer in the yard at multiple times a day, hawks, owls, ground hogs, raccoon, rabbit, moles, even the occasional flock of turkeys nad a fox or two, etc.

The season that I did all the precautionary things, fencing buried, powdered red pepper on the fruits, etc., I had what I assume was a raccoon take a single bite overnight out of each and every single tomato fruit I was growing... 8 plants, maybe 60 fruit at the time just shortly before turning red. That ended my gardening here. Now I do a couple of potted tomato plants sitting on top of a cord of firewood, but growing other things at the moment are not something I want to stress on yet :)

That was evil... "one" bite out of each fruit? That was someone giving me a sign.

Wished I could have had better pictures for you. Those type pictures don't come every day. Love living in the country.

Regards,

Bob

Ok Casper you bring the boar I'll take care of the veggies and adoption papers.My oldest warned me that If I bring home any more strays he will move out!...Awww, I'll miss him :)
You have a wild aminal that's toying with you.What did you do? That was something only a wise wild thing would do. :ROFLMAO: J/k.
When we lived in the country I couldn't have a garden either,the deer and boar always got past the fences..I didn't mind the deer,but the boars had to go.Dogs/kids and boar don't mix...

Munky.

What kind of fruit trees are you growing?
I wouldn't mind a few fruit trees in my back yard..It's just finding the right type for this part of Cali.I'm always undecided.

Munky.

My citrus trees are key lime, blood orange, pink grapefruit, lemon, tangerine and navel orange. The only one that doesn't do well in my so-called "soil" is the navel orange. If I had it to do again, I'd go with Valencia instead. The soil here is alkali hard-pan. I planted the trees with a jackhammer - literally. Bad drainage means no avocados unless I had a steep hillside to plant on. I've also got peach, apple and plum varieties that don't need very many cooling degree-days to fruit. Our place is a bit east of I-5, so the coastal climate kind of predominates, which means you don't get much cooling in the winter. So apricots and cherries are out of the question, they just won't fruit because it doesn't get cold enough long enough in the winter. The specialized varieties that I have for peaches, apples and plums are good fruit, but they don't hold well when ripe. The peaches can go from perfect to garbage on the tree in a couple of days, so when they're ready, it's time to call in sick at work to stay home to pick and can. :LOL:

My citrus trees are key lime, blood orange, pink grapefruit, lemon, tangerine and navel orange. The only one that doesn't do well in my so-called "soil" is the navel orange. If I had it to do again, I'd go with Valencia instead. The soil here is alkali hard-pan. I planted the trees with a jackhammer - literally. Bad drainage means no avocados unless I had a steep hillside to plant on. I've also got peach, apple and plum varieties that don't need very many cooling degree-days to fruit. Our place is a bit east of I-5, so the coastal climate kind of predominates, which means you don't get much cooling in the winter. So apricots and cherries are out of the question, they just won't fruit because it doesn't get cold enough long enough in the winter. The specialized varieties that I have for peaches, apples and plums are good fruit, but they don't hold well when ripe. The peaches can go from perfect to garbage on the tree in a couple of days, so when they're ready, it's time to call in sick at work to stay home to pick and can. :LOL:

Were straight up 101 North from you,Central..It's always cold and windy here.We to live close to the ocean.About a 40 minute drive. The coldest summers of my life is living here.That's so unnatural..
My house is built on what was once an apple orchard.So I think I'd be ok to go with the specialized varieties.I'll have to check with a local nursery,see what they have to offer.
Thanks for letting me know,now I'll have a better idea of what to look for.

Munky.

Ok Casper you bring the boar I'll take care of the veggies and adoption papers.My oldest warned me that If I bring home any more strays he will move out!...Awww, I'll miss him :)
You have a wild aminal that's toying with you.What did you do? That was something only a wise wild thing would do. :ROFLMAO: J/k.
When we lived in the country I couldn't have a garden either,the deer and boar always got past the fences..I didn't mind the deer,but the boars had to go.Dogs/kids and boar don't mix...

Munky.

Thanks for making me laugh!! I know exactly what you meant.
While I do not have any boar to bring, interestingly enough, I have been on a smoked shank "portion" kick lately. I've bought three in the last two months. Right now, I have about five lbs sliced up and ready for use in the fridge (foiled up a meaty bone for soup in the freezer). My part is done. What do you and family have for sides :)

BTW, I save all the fat parts. I even save the jelly for other uses. I only get rid of the "actual" grease. Oink -1 for me. Love the green beans too ... LOL. Don't ask, I have a long love with fat since I have cooked primarily for myself for the last 41 years. It's a wonder I don't weigh 300 lbs plus.

Thanks for making me laugh!! I know exactly what you meant.
While I do not have any boar to bring, interestingly enough, I have been on a smoked shank "portion" kick lately. I've bought three in the last two months. Right now, I have about five lbs sliced up and ready for use in the fridge (foiled up a meaty bone for soup in the freezer). My part is done. What do you and family have for sides :)

BTW, I save all the fat parts. I even save the jelly for other uses. I only get rid of the "actual" grease. Oink -1 for me. Love the green beans too ... LOL. Don't ask, I have a long love with fat since I have cooked primarily for myself for the last 41 years. It's a wonder I don't weigh 300 lbs plus.

Around here a side of hash brown potatoes.Or rice is a safe bet.

I save all the fat from roasts,bacon,chicken and use most of it to make my dogs biscuits.It's healthier for them.I once read on a treat box "ash" was listed as an ingredient..That's just gross,I still don't know what ash is..

Munky.

Our primary goal is to raise as much of the food we eat, as is possible. Our secondary goal is to eat fresh out of the garden as long as we can. We generally are eating out of the garden from March/April to October/November. The longer we can extend the fresh eating, the less food we need to put by. And we concentrate on raising foods for winter that do not need processed; like potatoes, onions, garlic and sweet potatoes.

Asparagus season has come and gone. We are into the spinach season right now. Are also harvesting a little parsley and celery. Still being May, gardening season is early in Southern Ohio. Just this morning we transplanted out the tomatoes, bell peppers, basil and sweet potato slips. Have already replanted the majority of the potato crop which rotted in the ground. The onions are growing well, started them from seed in mid January. Seeded the carrots last month and they desperately need thinned and weeded. We are waiting for a soaking rain to make that job possible. The broccoli and cabbage look great. Dh planted a small plot of sweet corn yesterday and set up the foil strips to scare off the crows from pecking the kernels out of the ground. That's the report this week!

We have a very small garden. Dh bought several pepper plants marked "Bell" and now we have a lot of banana peppers. He said the whole pallet was marked bell so we aren't the only ones with surprises. We have spinach, tomatoes, canteloupe, cucumbers, radishes and a few other things. It is doing well in spite of 16 2/10 inches of rain. It is in a well drained place, but the rain can stop anytime now.

some of you know I have a little herb garden in the planter boxes outside the front door of my apartment building.

Early this year, I cut back the lavender, sage, oregano, thyme, chives and marjoram to get rid of all the leftover twigs and other "yutz." Even in early March, the marjoram had already started coming back. however, the thyme and parsley plants gave up the ghost.

As of yesterday, my lavender is budding and will again have at least 300 flowers on the new bush, and I have never seen a marjoram plant so bushy. Everyone in the building will have lots for cooking this year! I planted new basil, rosemary, tarragon, parsley and thyme yesterday. I made sure to get larger, healthy plants, so it won't take so long for them to be ready for picking. I think I have room for a nasturtium in one of the boxes, so will get one next Saturday.

I wish I had room to grow more, but am grateful for the opportunity to have the small plot I do. :)

every thing in my veggies in pots is doing well. lettuce is ready, spinach almost. lots of green tomatoes on the three plants. squash and egg plant have blossoms. green onions are up, and carrots are getting big. i have harvested . the basil. garlic not ready. can't wait to start eating some of this.

went out after i typed this and pulled some spinach anyway, just wonderful. made a hot bacon and vinegar dressing and had for dinner. my favorite salad:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom