ISO Tips for Indoor Herb Gardens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdiprincess

Senior Cook
ok so this year I decided to start a herb garden. But I do it all via potted plants as it is winter, and even if it were summer time, there is no garden around my apartment.
At the local supermarket I have gotten thyme, sage and oregano. I have also acquired some basil. But it isn't doing so well.
I purchased an LED grow light. It has blue and red LED's to help with growing and seeding... Its all confusing. But the herbs seem to be doing quite well. I would like to get a bigger light and get more herbs.
Any tips? What should I get for my herb garden. Is it better to start with seeds or get plants. Overall, I've found that plants do allright. Except for the basil. I posted about that in another thread. I have been giving it lots of light. I put the light on the basil during the night and the rest of the herbs and plants (I have 3 flower plants too) during the day. Should I switch it up?
The basil seems to be getting water fine. It just seems to be withering and drying up. Should I try seeds next time? Is there a way to save it?

I would like to start an herb garden, so I am looking forward to any replies you get. Hopefully someone with experience in that area will come forth with ideas soon.

:)Barbara

Sage is a good hardy plant to grow and takes near drought conditions - well it does at my place LOL!! Parsley and chives are easy to grow and don't take much effort either. Basil does die pretty easily esp at the right time of year, but there is a lengthy thread (from memory) on growing basil from Oct or Nov last year.

Thyme is a lovely plant but it can die on you for no apparant reason, just leaving you scratching your head. It does like the water and a decent amount of light but no so much the heat. I have found that these plants grow best from seedlings rather than seeds but that may have more to do with my khaki-coloured thumbs than the product!

While I haven't grown these plants indoors, I have grown them in my back enclosed verandah so they get plenty of air but no natural rain, nor much if any direct sunlight.

Mustard and cress you can grow on cottonwool from seeds very very easily.

Now strawberries just take one whiff of me and start to keel over!!!

tdiprincess, I can't grow basil very well in winter either------I think that this is one smart son of a basil plant and knows that you're an idiot to try and even cultivate it when it is out of season even though it's warm in your apt/house and you have all the lights, etc. but the basil has sense receptors that can see that it's cold outside and probably has a global positioning device gene built in and senses the the earth's axis has rotated no matter what kind of light you give it .....think of trying to get a hubby off a couch during football season---it ain't happening with Mr. Basil either.....

I think I'm going to try again with the basil soon. I'm gonna get a hold of seeds and put it in the warmest room in the apartment (my room). I'll get another light just for it. We'll see if it works...
The other herbs are doing great. And the plants also. Although I don't even know the names of the flowers (is that sad or what?) Got 'em at the local supermarket for a dollar each. I figure...why not try it? They all seem to be doing pretty good. 2 of them are growing new flowers (guess that's a good sign) I think I'll read up some more on growing the basil and other stuff.
I'm gonna also try to get some mint, parsley, cilantro, maybe some chives.. I could steal a bunch from my parents in their garden in the summer and try to transplant them.

Here's a bit off topic: anyone know anything about growing a lemon tree?

Try again with seeds. While I've never had luck with bringing Basil transplants into the house, seeds have done great. In fact, I start all my Basil garden transplants (regular, lemon, lime) from seed indoors under lights.

I bought a supermarket basil plant that lasted a really long time on a western facing window sill in winter in New England. It didn't grow enough for pesto but it did keep us in fresh basil leaves to finish a tomato sauce and as a fresh kick to a green salad. I think the trick was to snip off an inch or two - to the nearest "crotch" of the tops immediately. As I understand, basil (and many other plants) channel most of their "energy" to the topmost part of the plant. So by cutting the tops, the energy goes to those little side shoots and in a week or so they become big enough to snip again .... and the beat goes on.

All I can tell you about lemon trees is mine doesn't grow but they respond really well to being urinated on!! (Which isprobably why mine isn't growing!!!! LOL)

Hahaha! Bilby!! Talk about good lemon-aid (ade)

As for basil and flavor retention don't let the basil go to flowers.......snip those off as soon as you see them even forming.......or the intensity of the flavor will decrease....this step, too, will enhance more growth

I'll do that for next time. So if snipping of the tops helps how do I preserve the tops to make pesto and what not?

Hmmmmm tdiprincess - that's a good question. I usually rinse the leaves and put them in a plastic zip_lock bag with a piece of paper towel. It usually stays fresh for 2-3 days but that won't be long enough for the new leaves to grow. Maybe someone else has an idea????

what about freezing the leaves? If it'd be used for a pesto...I don't think it'd do anything to diminish the flavor... any ideas anyone?

I tried freezing them once - they turned black and got gushy so I threw them out.

Yes - freezing basil does turn the leaves black & very very soft - not surprising since Basil is really a tropical plant. Not very appetizing to use them that way.

Like everyone has said, freezing the leaves does not work. You can, however, put the basil blooms in some olive oil with a little salt, whir in a blender or food processor, and you've got a great drizzle for a salad or chicken, pasta salad, etc. This will last for several weeks in the fridge.

If you use it right away you can add a clove of garlic, again whir in a blender or food processor, and don't keep for more than a week (be sure to keep in fridge though).

You can easily freeze the first mixture for future use. Put in ice cube trays then pop out when frozen and toss in a freezer ziplock bag. This can easily be used in pasta dishes and soups.

The best way to freeze basil for pesto is just to make some pesto and freeze it. I do it all the time. Even if you have to make a small batch.

oh ok. I'll keep that in mind once I get a plant to grow!
I'm gonna be adding mint, chamomile, parsley, cilantro... Rosemary over time.
I'm getting into herbal teas. More for the flavor than anything. And its healthy...

Absolutely ditto with Kitchenelf on the frozen pesto. I've done it three autumns in a row now. I'll have to give the garden a year off this year (grow some beans and peas to put nitrogen back in), but I might just end up building my own aeroponic setup to keep growing inside. ;)

I've actually found that basil doesn't grow all that happily indoors. I don't know if it's the lack of beneficial microbes in the soil or the lack of wind, but it's just not happy. It grows very vertical and thin, not in the thick bushy habit I get outdoors.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom