My garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
now i have 5 acres, I'm gonna see how much i can cover in mint.... since the grass is crappy anyway. :)

Perennials do better where it gets cold and stays cold than they do here in southern Illinois, where it can be colder than kraut for a few days, then warm up to 50, then get cold again. When the ground freezes and thaws like that, the plant roots tend to heave up out of the ground and get frozen during the next cold spell.

oh but to be able to grow tomatoes as long as my gramma could down there?!?!
I'd trade the mint in a minute!!!!

The tomatoes do real well in our garden surrounded by native plants. We also grew some herbs each year as well as horseradish that came with the house. This year I want to put down some peppers and expand. We don't do a single spot that is a veggie garden, we just plant the stuff all around in the beds along with the native plants there.
One year the kids tried growing watermelon but that wasn't a success.

I'm in Utah as well, but up in Cache Valley. It's colder up here than where you are. I started all of my seeds outside. Parsley grows like a weed and was the first to revive after winter. You'll probably have to pull a bunch out to keep it from overtaking the rest of your herbs. The sage did really well and the chives are coming back up too. Garlic also does pretty well in the cooler weather, I already have a garlic head starting to develop. Oregano and basil also grew really well. The lemon grass did amazingly well. I also planted thyme and marjoram. I tried cilantro but planted it where it was too hot. I'm going to try a different spot this year because it all died.

I just planted seeds as soon as the weather allowed. If the seeds didn't grow I just bought starts, they were pretty cheap and they all did well last year. I'll have to let you know later how the rest do the second year.

woot someone else from utah. That makes three of us. All my cousins live in cache valley. They still make cache valley cheese right?

woot someone else from utah. That makes three of us. All my cousins live in cache valley. They still make cache valley cheese right?

Sweet! Who else is from Utah? And yes, they still do make cheese and we pay just as much for it as the rest of the country.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom