Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm totally confused. I'm in North Carolina, Charlotte area, we're getting 50s on average already. I'm doing the peppers in big pots (no ground, no telling when I'll be evicted if I don't get a job soon). So I'll have the options to start them from small plants inside or out. When is my question. When do I start??

Callisto - if you're going to start them from seed (as I do), you can start anytime you want now. I'll be starting mine (God willing - lol) in a couple of weeks, because I can rarely plant out peppers/tomatoes/eggplants until early May. Last year we were still having stray heavy frosts in late April. But where you're located, you should be just fine starting pepper seeds indoors now.

Last edited:
the UK is Zone 8, but if you have a good greenhouse (mine is home-made) it Will work perfectly! :D

I`ve been growing them here for over 20 years without fail, I crop into december even!

as for Feeding Don`t feed them UNTIL they start to flower! then you want high potash feeds, Tomato feed is just fine (they are the same family).
I feed mine Gunpowder, Yes Seriously!

be sure to Water deeper in the soil, and feed from the Top (the root system is like that, takes the feed from the top roots often above the surface, but water from the lower/deeper roots).
Foliar feeding is good also, but only use VERY dilute soln and only last thing at night else it will burn/scorch the leaves.

it doesn`t hurt them to let the soil go a little Dry either, enough that the leaves droop a little, then just water them again.

Callisto - if you're going to start them from seed (as I do), you can start anytime you want now. I'll be starting mine (God willing - lol) in a couple of weeks, because I can rarely plant out peppers/tomatoes/eggplants until early May. Last year we were still having stray heavy frosts in late April. But where you're located, you should be just fine starting pepper seeds indoors now.
I remember being snowed in in April over easter last year. Couldn't drive home from PA to NC.

I just got some money and I'm debating to buy seeds or wait until my second paycheck. Is April too late to start pepper seeds in North Carolina? Winter's still whacky up and down up and down.

It's really a tossup. You want approx. 8 weeks from seed-sowing to planting out (including some hardening-off time). Starting in April (just a couple of weeks from now) would put you around early June for plant-out. Peppers/tomatoes/eggplants are true heat-lovers, so won't mind the wait. In fact, the stores are still full of commercially-grown plants at that time with plenty of buyers.

You could experiment & pick up just a couple of packs of seeds to start now, buy & sow the bulk of your order later, & compare the ultimate results down the road.

Have I mentioned the peppers won't be transplanted to the ground? Does that make a difference. I know you can do them in pots, I have in the past. I just rent so I don't like to plant.

I'm wondering, too, if I can reuse older soil if I mix it with new. That would save me some money and the pots only had flowers in them before.

Planting in pots won't make a difference. In fact, the soil in them will be even warmer, which will make your heat-lovers grow even faster. Even though I also have an in-the-ground garden, I always have a few pots of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, okra, & herbs on the deck.

As for reusing soil, I always start with fresh potting mix, so can't offer any experienced advice there.

Have I mentioned the peppers won't be transplanted to the ground? Does that make a difference. I know you can do them in pots, I have in the past. I just rent so I don't like to plant.

I'm wondering, too, if I can reuse older soil if I mix it with new. That would save me some money and the pots only had flowers in them before.

Yes, you can - I do that all the time. I'd look for a potting mix that includes nutrients for veggies, or use Miracle Gro or something similar when you plant them. Here's some general info about veggie container gardening: Container Vegetable Gardening - HGIC @ Clemson University HTH.

I used to experiment with many types, but have settled on Super Cayennes for just the right amount of heat and they dry well for use over the winter. I like poblanos for my New Mexico green chili, hubby roasts, seeds and peels them, I bag them up and freeze for future use. My husband doesn't really care for bell peppers, so I don't bother. I've never found Annaheims, which I'd like for the aforementioned green chli as well, but have yet to find them around here as seedlings. I've been very successful growing most hot peppers in containers. Remember that heat varies a lot from pepper to pepper even on the same plant, and that peppers cross polinate VERY easily. I've grown a few different varieties in pots on a balcony, saved the seeds for the next year, and come up with totally different looking peppers the next year!

Last edited:
You all have great soil up there, and your growing season is long enough to grow most things. (It might be a little short for things like peanuts or sweet potatoes.)
So go for it!

Let me second Tattrat's suggestion for poblano's - I am fortunate that they are plentiful and cheap here and I use them often in cooking instead of green peppers - they just add a nice zip (they are not at all hot, just flavorful). You do need to roast them first to get the skins off, though. And they are great for chiles rellenos. I also love serranos instead of jalapenos. Anchos, BTW, are dried poblanos. You might be thinking of chipotles, which are smoked jalapenos. Yummm - love chiles. It's a great idea to grow your own.
I grew 17 varieties of chili peppers in Australia. Most of them even made it
through the winter! (This was in central Queensland, which can get very
cold during the winter). I grew everything in pots, because I knew there
were a lot of cut worms in the surrounding soil. I found using pots made it
easy to weed and giving each plant TLC a breeze.

I share your love of chilies, Karen. I miss having all those beautiful, flowering plants in my back yard. Instead, now living in a condominium, I grow only a
few on the verands. Chilies are a hardy plant and lots of fun to grow. The
plants will reward you with more fruit if you pick chilies frequently, rather than leaving them on the plant.

My staple chilies: jalapeño, poblano, habanero, fresno, birdseye. Cherry tomatoes also grow well in pots, as do bell pepperss.

Back
Top Bottom