"Thyme flies"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valericaskey

Assistant Cook
This seems so funny to me, but I have "thyme flies". I live in Florida, and I just started growing herbs in containers in my Florida room. I purchased the thyme, already started, from a local grocery store and transplanted it into a clay pot. There are what appear to be very small black flies that are nesting, living under the vegetation. They seem to be exclusive to the thyme, that is they are not bothering anything else I have out there. If anyone knows what I could do to control them in a healthful manner (for my herbs, not the flies of course), I would appreciate their advice.

Thanks,

Val

First thing you should know, is when you bring a new plant home, and inside, you should always quarantee
it away from other plants til you see if it's healthy.
So I would do that now. I would definately change out the soil too. The eggs were probably in the soil. Those little knatty things like a rich moist soil, which, unfortunately, your plant also likes.
Make sure the pot is sterile as well. Soak in 1 part bleach, 7 parts water. (1 cup total)
Then replant, rinsing bare roots with clean root temp water before you plant.
Good luck.

If they don't appear to be harming the plant then I wouldn't bother doing anything. They'll probably go away on their own. You could try letting the soil go a little dry btwn waterings (thyme likes that anyway) to discourage reproduction.

Do repot and try to get rid of them. From experience I know that they will move to the rest of your plants! I lost 42 plants one year. I've never had any luck getting rid of them and end up getting rid of the plant. This probably sounds stupid but if I buy a plant I will blow on the dirt surface, if anything except the plant moves I will not buy it. I have gotten some curious stares but my house plants are not infected!

A new method that greenhouse folks are using for fungus gnats is to cover the soil with half an inch of sand. The larvae in the soil cannot crawl thru the sand to the surface to hatch, and the eggs apparently don't live if they are laid in sand.

Back
Top Bottom