Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife went a bit nuts on the weekend, she harvested a bunch of stuff from our and a relatives garden. Made Salsa, tomato jam, pickles, pickled cauliflower, apple pie filling, and muscat jelly from my leftover juice.
I also ended up getting over 300lbs of Dornfelder, not 200, so I'm now very short on space for both primary and secondary fermentation. I've got a couple weeks until the Riesling is ready to harvest though, so hopefully can get everything cycled through.

Im jealous of all the grapes you got. is this a hobby or a profession?

Peppers, spaghetti squash and potatoes
Still have one more bed of potatoes and about 5 large pots of potatoes to pick.

Attachments

• IMG_3212.jpg
    IMG_3212.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3213.jpg
    IMG_3213.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 79
Is the cloner store bought or something home made ?
It's homemade, from a 4 gal bucket, with a lid, containing a rubber gasket, with 7 holes for the small baskets, that hold the foam, that holds the cutting. There is a powerhead, with a threaded outlet on top, which a sprayer is screwed into. This sprays the cuttings, to help the roots grow.

Here is one of the serrata basil cuttings, showing the roots after just 6 days:
Serrata basil cutting 9-27, after 6 days in the cloner by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Gecofure and Thai basils have some roots, but not nearly as good. The epazote, which went in a little later, is getting some roots. I just put in some peppermint cuttings today - I prefer spearmint, but that attracts aphids indoors.

I harvested a bunch of cherry tomatoes today, and there is still a good number of larger tomatoes that are ripening, though smaller than earlier.

That's an impressive picture of the basil cutting. I got back from FL so I'll be checking my garden later today. Hope to harvest more potatoes and beans.

Today I harvested a bunch more peppers, and a few eggplants and tomatoes - the 11 oz Beefy Boy was the first tomato of this size I've had in a long time! The blauhilde beans are producing fast, along with some of the green bush beans I planted in some buckets, when I pulled some tomatoes last month. The Thai long red beans are slower now, probably due to the cool nights. I'll get more next season, planting earlier.
Still a few tomatoes and eggplants. 9-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Still getting a bunch more peppers! 9-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I cut the Agribon to cover the raised bed, but it was very windy. Hopefully tomorrow will be good for it.

And I forgot and left about a quart of raspberries sitting on the garden fence! This was a harvest for a soup and salad. Will have another harvest Wednesday morning in preparation for our second freeze, before the blankets go back on.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I harvested a couple pounds of beans again today, but those long beans have stopped flowering. I think it has something to do with the shorter days - I had this happen with another long bean variety years ago.

I got my raised bed planted and covered yesterday. I got some lettuce, chard, kohlrabi, and a bunch of scallion sets, plus a bunch of Asian greens - bok choy, tatsoi, mizuna, komatsuna, senposai, misome, and shogoin.
Greens in raised bed, ready to cover. 9-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Covered raised bed 9-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I got my first hydroponics tub set up and filled - nothing in it yet, but the nutrients are all added, and ready for the plants. The ones that had hardly any roots yet, two days ago, when the seratta basil was rooting, are rooted now, and can go into the hydroponics.
Red epazote cuttings, rooted after 7 days. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gecofure cutting, rooted after 7 days. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai basil cutting, rooted after 7 days by pepperhead212, on Flickr

27 gal DW hydroponics, filled 9-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
I spent a good portion of the day harvesting. We are expected to get our second freeze tomorrow night and I don't want to cover as many plants as I did last week. I harvested almost all the Big Jim chiles, roasted a 5 gallon bucket of them that didn't get photographed. Got all three varieties of onions in bags. Tomorrow I will harvest tomatoes.

Attachments

• IMG_0893.jpg
    IMG_0893.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0894.jpg
    IMG_0894.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0896.jpg
    IMG_0896.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 71
I harvested some more beans today, as well as more cherry tomatoes. I also got a generous number of okra pods - probably due to this heat lately! Record highs all over the area. Had a high of 95° today, with a dew point of 70° - felt like New Orleans out there! However, there is a forecast high of 66° tomorrow, and a low Saturday morning of 47° I'll have to bring my curry tree inside, at least temporarily.

I got that hydroponics partly planted today. The rooted cuttings were done in my cloner - just 9 days and they got all these roots! I only planted one of the epazote rootings - I'll ask the guy at the Mexican grocery if he wants to try growing it in a pot, or if any of the other staff would want them. I planted all of the basils, and the best of each of the varieties I keep, and toss the others. I only need one of each, and even that's more than I can use!
3 epazote rootings. Only planting the best one in hydroponics. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Epazote planted in hydroton by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Serrata basil, ready to plant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Gecofure basil, ready to plant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Thai basil, ready to plant by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Hydoponics plantings, so far, 10-2-2019 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those hydro herbs are going crazy, as always, and I'm getting a generous amount of beans still, mostly from those Blauhilde. Usually, I have a problem with rust, due to wetness, but it has been so dry since late July, that I have not had fungal problems, unlike the first half of the season.
3 lbs of Foodsavered beans, 10-8-19 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The cherry tomatoes are still producing - one variety more than it did in the warm weather! It is good, but I won't grow that one again (Pink Champagne) - I need heat resistant kinds here!

Those beans look great pepperhead! Here are some photos from my garden.

Pinto gold potatoes from a 4x4 bed.
20191005_183022087_iOS.jpg

The last of my paste tomato harvest.
20191005_183058146_iOS.jpg

My pole beans that were so good this year. Last year the bean beetles decimated the crop.
20190928_203506498_iOS.jpg

I picked these poblanos for dinner last night and DH picked the chocolate cherry tomatoes last weekend. There are still quite a few out there.
1008191744.jpg

GG I'm officially jealous of your poblanos.

Love them and have been told they are available in the city - where I refuse to go. Have never seen them in the nurseries in flats.

My poblano plant is huge, but has only set two pieces of fruit in the past, which both fell off when they were a couple inches long. I have one on the plant now, and have my fingers crossed that I can at least get one usable poblano pepper this year.

That plant is in between my jalapeño plant and my cayenne plant. Both of them are producing fruit -- especially the cayenne. Not sure what went wrong with the poblano. I have grown them before with decent results.

CD

I've had irregular production in the past from ancho/poblano peppers, but this year I got great results from a new hybrid variety - Mosquetero. It was a little slow - the Numex had full sized peppers when this started, but it is indeterminate, and has not stopped producing! I'll have them until frost. Next year, I might start it 3 weeks earlier, though I'll have to put them in larger pots.
Big Jim and Mosquetero poblano 10-9 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The longhorn cayennes did fairly well, but were determinate; they had 3 flushes of peppers on each plant, but the intense heat of the summer seemed to slow them - they weren't heat lovers, like most of my peppers! I'm getting more now, despite the cool weather. These are just the ones with red, so far - the 2 plants are loaded with peppers, more than the second flush, in the hottest part of the summer.
Longhorns 10-9 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That cool weather has really slowed down the okra, but that always happens! I have two pods over 10" long, on the best plant, which I'm saving for seed.

Last edited:
I got two extra Oaxacan red epazote cuttings rooted (the leaves are green because of the lower light indoors, but the flavor is still intense!), which I couldn't bring myself to throw away, so I potted them, and took them up to my friends, at the Mexican grocery, along with a couple dozen more ripe habaneros (I really don't need any more!). They were thrilled to get them, and they still can't believe that I have that stuff, since it's not available everywhere in Mexico, and it costs more, where they can find it. It is starting to drop the seeds out there - in past years, it hasn't re-seeded, like the old green stuff does, so I'm thinking the seeds might die from the cold - the reason I save some, just in case, though I usually just root some cuttings, to plant outside.
Leftover epazote, 10-10 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Leftover epazote potted up, to give to somebody. 10-10 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Epazote, 10-11, just 9 days after planting in the hydro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The basil outside is almost gone, due to the brief cold, but that downstairs is growing fast! You can sort of see them, behind that epazote. I put one of each under the T-5 bulb and one of each under the new LED bulb, and both seem to be doing about the same.

Looks fascinating. I have to explore doing hydro one day. I do need to bring my two pepper plants in for the winter. I also want to bring a cutting of rosemary in as well.

Will be planting my garlic this weekend as well as harvesting the rest of my potatoes.

Started ripping the garden up today. Leaving peppers, tomatillos, peas, peanuts and sweet potatoes ( they'll be up in the next 2 weeks or so). This is what I picked today. My best butternut squash year ever, only problem is, Mother Nature planted them, I didn't :LOL: When I plant them they fail. I noticed a squash plant coming out of my herb garden. Had leaves I didn't recognize so I decided to let it do its thing, knowing it would take over that area of the garden and make it look ugly ( which it did). These butternut squashes are Huge. Ill save seeds for next year. The other type of squash someone was throwing out last year after thanksgiving. I was impressed by its size and shape so in the middle of the night, I went out with ,my daughter and grabbed it out of their trash. One of the watermelon was a surprise, tucked under may chives. I also spotted a few ginger plants that I planted back in the spring and were covered by the squash leaves. I forgot about them until today. Dont look great, but considering no care was given to them at all, im surprised they survived .

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom