"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2020, 01:22 AM   #741
Executive Chef

I picked the last of my parsley and basil in my aquaponics system. still have one mint plant that was out- lighted by the others and my fig cuttings ( that have rooted and doing really well) in the system. I may plant some lettuce in the system to keep me busy for the next few months. Also got a cold frame outside that I may toss a few seeds in just to see what comes up. There are some crops ( squashes and melons) that I seem to do better when I find a rogue plant that planted itself in the compost, than when I actually plant it myself, so ill chalk this one under ; if you cant beat them, join them". and see what happens. Got nothing to lose. last year was my best butter nut squash year ever and it grew my spice garden ( self planted). Only reason I let it go is I didn't recognize the leaves and was curious what it was. Good thing I did. I got 8 of the best tasting, largest butternuts I ever had. I only use 1/3 of a squash each time I make soup cause they are so big. Still got 5 of them stored in the basement. similar story with spaghetti squash, but I eat them quicker so got not left

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:28 PM   #742
Senior Cook

I'm still getting arugala from the garden we planted on July 29. We got the last radishes a week or so ago. The Arugala won't stop.

I've let some of it go to seed a bit as an experiment to see how far it will go and still be edible. Still yummy.

The spice lightened up after the first frosts in December. It was super spicy before that.

Still have some kale and beet greens. The beets didn't do too well, but the greens are like weeds.

Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote