Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today's pick: Bolseno, a hybrid slicer from Johnny's, and Peasant, a Roma heirloom from Seeds Trust.

p8nstdt.jpg

Still squeaking out a few more things this year from the garden.

A few broccoli, which I probably should have started 2 weeks earlier. I think they are of max size now so will pick what I got. Probably enough for a stir fry.

Same with the cabbages. They are of a small variety anyway, but even smaller cause they haven't fully matured. Could have used another 2 weeks. Ill also pick them and use them as is. Last year I tried to over winter them, which was successful in the fact that they survived, but immediately went to seed.

On occasion, the chicken sometimes takes a break from laying eggs. Some times it's a seasonal thing, temperature thing, shorter day thing. I figured she was done for awhile until I went to the coup today to fix the heat lamp, and saw that she found a better place to lay her eggs other than the nesting box. Kinda tucked away under / in-between a few bags filled with leaf mulch.

Oh yeah, also found 2 more shiitakes on the log.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.21.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.21.01 PM.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.20.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.20.51 PM.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.20.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 2.20.44 PM.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 30
Although not my prettiest, nor my most bountiful harvest, figured I'd pick what I have left since it was such a nice day today ( probably close to 60 and sunny) and the winter weather is in the not so distant future.
Broccoli, kohlrabi and Cabbages ( not to be mistaken for brussel sprouts due to their small size :)

Probably should have gotten them in the ground a few weeks earlier. There's always next year. Got my first seed catalogue the other day.

All I got left are a bunch of leafy greens ( kale, lettuce and arugula).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.41.18 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.41.18 PM.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.40.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.40.13 PM.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 32
Opened up the hoop house today to water and harvest...got about 22 pounds of carrots which I hope lasts a couple of months!

Attachments

• IMG_3903.jpg
    IMG_3903.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 31
Opened up the hoop house today to water and harvest...got about 22 pounds of carrots which I hope lasts a couple of months!

Nice, thats a lot of carrots.
I got mine covered up.
Did the same last year and actually picked them early spring to make room for other things.

My lettuce , kale and arugula still kicking. Haven't really got hit with a solid freeze yet.

Probably got 1/2 dozen or more seed catalogues already.

That is a lot of carrots! I wish I had a root cellar, or other place to store those.

I have been trying to use up my outside Asian greens, but they have been growing back, given the warm weather! And I had been neglecting my indoor plants, due to the holidays and using those outside, so 2 days ago I trimmed those again, and got a bunch of mizuna, and one of the last 3 bok choys, and planted a couple more bok choys (which popped up in just 2 days!).
Hydroponics bok choy, just starting to flower. 12-31 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

23 oz hydroponics mizuna, 12-31 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

These, and the other greens outside are resistant down to the low 20s, so if it gets down that low, before I can eat them all, I'll have to harvest all of them, and make some kimchee, or something like that. I have about the same amount of several more types - komatsuna, senposai, and some more smaller napas.
Some Napa type cabbage, still growing on 1-2. 26 degrees forecast for tomorrow night, after 62 today. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A friend of mine cans carrots. She really, really likes her home canned carrots. Other friends of hers rave about them too. She likes them enough that she buys carrots to can.

Hard to believe, but I actually harvested this today, just covered with 6 mil plastic, since it started getting in the low 20s. This was actually the second harvest on this variety, and strange thing - it was sold as a regular red cabbage, but it's a napa! Maybe that's why Pinetree doesn't have it in this year's catalog. I cut the first ones off as I needed them, and they grew back, like a lot of brassicas.
Red Dragon napa cabbage, 2-12-22 - second harvest, that survived the winter covered by the 6 mil plastic. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I still have parsley sort of growing out there, so that will re-seed. I have a feeling these might come back, and send a seed stalk up, like brassicas often do in spring. If so, I might save the seeds - there won't be anything else to cross with them, and I'd hate to loose the variety, it grew so well!

In the process of getting everything ready for the upcoming garden season. Store didnt have the seed potatoes yet, and onions wont be delivered til late march early April.

Carrots from last year are where some of the onions are going in a a few weeks, so now that the garden has mostly thawed, I picked a few to see what I got, and I came across this beauty!!!. The longest, straightest most perfect looking carrot I've ever grown!!!

Downside is the variety is supposed to get up to 2 feet. Good side is, since I stink at growing carrots, I figured let me give this variety a try. A crappy underdeveloped 2 foot carrot is a great half sized 1 foot carrot. So my failure was a success!!!. Ill probably pick the rest this weekend so I can get the bed ready for onions. Hopefully it wasn't a one hit wonder.

It is now comfortably simmering in a pot of mushroom barley soup for tonights dinner.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.50.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.50.03 PM.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.49.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 2.49.54 PM.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 27
Larry, it's a success!

Only took a few decades, But I take what I can get!:LOL:

Im hoping his brothers and sisters looks the same.

Normally I'd stop growing things I don have success with, but the seeds were cheap, and its aa late summer/ over the winder crop so it doesnt take up any needed space.

I may start them 2 weeks earlier, so I can get a better late fall harvest.

Now I just got to work on Beets.

Dug up the rest of my carrots and picked the only meyer lemon on the trees.
I outdid myself with the carrots this year (when compared to years past)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 3.49.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 3.49.00 PM.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 3.52.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 3.52.59 PM.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 25
Good job, Larry! Remind me how you grow lemons in NY? I had a wonderful lemon tree in California. It had a couple of different kinds of lemons, one of them seedless.

About 7 years ago I bought 2 potted Meyer lemon trees from a local garden center. It already had 5 unripe lemons on it, which ultimately ripened.

Fast forward to today, after jackassing the trees in and outside each year, it finally crapped out another lemon after I had threatened it , that this was the last year they would make the round trip indoors.

Every year they had brush with death, as they would loose their leaves, then flower like crazy ( the flowers smelled wonderful). To there defense, I really dont have a good place in the house for them, so each year I push the limits.

My true pride and joy dismay pineapple. Started it 3 years ago from a cutting, and a few weeks ago I finally saw a fruit ( usually they have taken about 1 1/2 - 2 years in the past to fruit). Better late than never!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 5.24.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 5.24.30 PM.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 27
Thanks, Larry! Interesting and a great story too. My DH loves fresh pineapple, but he is picky about the quality of same. There is a short period where we get Maui Gold's up here and he is in heaven then! Fortunately, I can usually come up with a sweet & sour dish or pineapple meatballs to make use of the rejects! ;-)

You have far more patience than I do, Larry! But, if it makes you feel any better, I have never gotten a single fruit on my 21 year old kaffir lime tree, though there, it's the leaves I'm after.

You have far more patience than I do, Larry! But, if it makes you feel any better, I have never gotten a single fruit on my 21 year old kaffir lime tree, though there, it's the leaves I'm after.

Ironically, I actually got couple of kaffir limes ( didn't know what to do with them) until I finally killed the plant. It was aa single plants i'm not sure if they are self pollinating , or the many flowers on my fruitless Meyer lemon trees cross pollinated and made it possible.

I have 2 Yuzu citrus trees (potted) which are supposed to every cold hardy. Still in the pots, overwintered in my garage. Didnt lose a leaf and look healthy as can be. ( also have a grapefruit and pomelo, which I started from seed) which are doing well, in the same room, same window as the Meyer Lemons which are doing crappy. Anyway,we'll see what happens this year.

( Also may have killed ny cinnamon tree, which I've had for a decade, usually transfers in and out very well, this year dropped all but 3 leaves. Still vital trunk. Moved it to a better window. Hopefully it welcome back.

Back
Top Bottom