"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2022, 11:50 PM   #1581
Executive Chef

This is a big garlic garden from 2012.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:48 AM   #1582
Executive Chef

That was one heck of a garlic garden Bliss!!
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:32 PM   #1583
Executive Chef

Back to picking! The last two days I didn't pick anything (except okra, which I always do early), so I got a bunch more of several types. That Oaxacan Jewel still had 12 more on it with blushes, and countless small green ones.
All Oaxacan Jewels, from the same plant again. 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Several Amish Gold Slicers, a few others, plus some larger cherry tomatoes. 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

7 eggplants, plus the smaller cherry and grape tomatoes. 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And more of the cukes, beans, and bitter melons. A few peppers from the uncovered jalapeņos and Hanoi Market, though the HM was just knocked off - none ripe yet. This is average, starting a week or two into August.
An Armenian Cucumber, several other cukes, the last few bitter melons, some beans, and long Valor beans. 7-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 08-01-2022, 11:27 PM   #1584
Executive Chef

I picked some ripe Thai and Superchili peppers, plus some more Jalapeņo M peppers. Still no ripe Violet Kantharis, but they are loaded! And I tasted one - had a good flavor, with no bitterness, like some small unripe peppers are like, and it was maybe 30-40k heat units.

Thai peppers starting to ripen, 8-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ripe peppers from 2 Superchili plants, 8-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

More Jalapeno m peppers, 8-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 08-03-2022, 09:53 PM   #1585
Executive Chef

More Amish Gold Slicers and Oaxacan Jewels, plus a few cherry tomatoes today. I got 2 more trays of tomatoes in the dehydrator today, plus a tray of eggplant cubes, plus some blanched bitter melon slices - something new for me, but I found some references translated from some Indian language. No peppers dried yet, but there soon will be a lot of them.
Amish Gold Slicers, 8-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of these ripe Superchilis are from one plant! The ones from a couple of days ago were both from two plants.
All the ripened chles from just one Superchili plant. 8-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Two plants worth of Aruna peppers starting to ripen, with many more to come.
Ripening Aruna peppers, 8-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 08-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #1586
Master Chef

Calabacitas, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, bell peppers, strawberries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	52851  
Old Today, 12:04 AM   #1587
Executive Chef

Nice harvest, bethzaring!

I have 9 butternut squash out there now, with another bunch of flowers starting up, which is normal for this variety - Polaris. It gets a second crop, for the fall; the smaller variety - Honeybush - had early, smaller fruits, too, but the plants just died off last year. These others have a larger, late crop.

Also, they last a long time! Today I cut up my last 4 butternuts from last year! One little spot starting to go bad on one of them, so I cut all of them up, getting 75.5 oz of cubes, I'm putting in the dehydrator, and over a cup of seeds.
One of 4 butternuts from last season! 8-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

75.5 oz of trimmed butternuts, ready for dehydration. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About a cup of seeds, plus all the trimmings from the butternuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

4 trays of peppers in the dehydrator, joined by 3 trays of butternuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr