Tomato cages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my set up. Cattle panels hung on T-posts, about a foot apart.

I generally have about 40 plants.
img_1464379_0_9bdfe1b1ea74cf9d4493a29dc3e6c9b7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice!

By late summer you will have a tomato privacy fence!

I too use concrete wire. The rust has never been a problem for me. I don't know if you can find 6 inch square galvanized wire. The concrete were I like is the 5 foot tall, but 4 would work. If you use 10 square (60 inches) you will get a 20 in diameter cage. I snipe off the bottom horizontal wires to make little spears to stick into the ground to hold the cage. I have done this for many years with great success.

I don't sell my produce. I can a lot, eat a lot, and give away a lot. I keep thinking that when I retire I can sell my stuff at the farmers market, and maybe at least break even on the costs of production.

I actually have been working on my 'privacy fence'. Last summer I fenced the whole garden, and I have been planting clematis and other flowering vines on the house side of the fence, and pole beans along the the other sides. I have a neighbor up the hill-- his driveway runs along the far side of the garden. His wife runs a beauty shop in the house, so there is a little traffic there. (Jeez, sometimes 4 cars a day drive by! It is like the Dan Ryan Expressway!)

Otherwise, I am so country I don't even have curtains. :)

Back
Top Bottom