"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 01:44 AM   #1
Certified/Certifiable

Tomato Growing Tips

I promised Lisa B. that I would share a very informative YouTube video that I found about growing great tomatoes. So for everyone who loves growing tasty tomatoes, and especially for you, Lisa B., here's a link -

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind od the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Cool video Chief, thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief!! Thanks so much for that most informative video from that delightful and bright young woman. The two of us enjoyed every minute of it together.
Souschef and I have so little land to grow anything. For years, we've had just two in ground tomato plants that we've enjoyed with mixed success stories. We learned so much from her. Who would have thought that molasses, Tums, or aspirin could be used for prolific tomato plants? Anyone growing tomatoes needs to watch this delightful video.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Chief!! Thanks so much for that most informative video from that delightful and bright young woman. The two of us enjoyed every minute of it together.
Souschef and I have so little land to grow anything. For years, we've had just two in ground tomato plants that we've enjoyed with mixed success stories. We learned so much from her. Who would have thought that molasses, Tums, or aspirin could be used for prolific tomato plants? Anyone growing tomatoes needs to watch this delightful video.
I don't really want to spend a half hour watching this, but I will say that Tums and aspirin are not useful in the garden. It's a long-standing myth that tomatoes with blossom end rot are deficient in calcium. The truth is that soil is rarely deficient in calcium and BER is most often caused by the plant's inability to take up calcium from the soil, usually because of heavy or uneven watering, like after a big storm. It's usually a temporary situation that resolves itself, but people who don't do careful research won't know that.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't really want to spend a half hour watching this, but I will say that Tums and aspirin are not useful in the garden. It's a long-standing myth that tomatoes with blossom end rot are deficient in calcium. The truth is that soil is rarely deficient in calcium and BER is most often caused by the plant's inability to take up calcium from the soil, usually because of heavy or uneven watering, like after a big storm. It's usually a temporary situation that resolves itself, but people who don't do careful research won't know that.
She actually mentions that not-enough-calcium is often caused by too much water. I think she mentioned that there was no evidence for the Tums helping, but that people always mention it in tomato groups. I don't remember what problems she said would be caused not-enough-calcium. I don't remember for sure, but I think the ASA (what we call Aspirin in Canada) was for something else.

I was kind of put off by the length of the video, but decided to watch a bit of it and decide. I enjoyed it and I probably won't be growing any tomatoes in the foreseeable future.

OTOH, at the end of the video, she said you should never put tomatoes in the fridge.
Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
She actually mentions that not-enough-calcium is often caused by too much water. I think she mentioned that there was no evidence for the Tums helping, but that people always mention it in tomato groups. I don't remember what problems she said would be caused not-enough-calcium. I don't remember for sure, but I think the ASA (what we call Aspirin in Canada) was for something else.
The problem caused by a lack of calcium is blossom end rot.

Kayelle seemed to have the impression that Tums was a good solution.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #7
Cupcake

I loved the video. Thank you!

Something I learned to help with Blossom End Rot is to put in a tablespoon of Epsom salts and a tablespoon of powdered milk when planting. Every month or so, I dust the base with powdered milk again. The epsom salts help the roots to absorb the calcium.

I do need to be more consistent with watering. I don't have a soaker hose and have a small garden patch. I will try to not water the entire plant after viewing this though.

~Kathleen

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:41 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I loved the video. Thank you!

Something I learned to help with Blossom End Rot is to put in a tablespoon of Epsom salts and a tablespoon of powdered milk when planting. Every month or so, I dust the base with powdered milk again. The epsom salts help the roots to absorb the calcium.

I do need to be more consistent with watering. I don't have a soaker hose and have a small garden patch. I will try to not water the entire plant after viewing this though.
There are a lot of myths about gardening that get passed down, but home gardening has been studied for decades by professors in university Cooperative Extension programs. One, Linda Chalker-Scott, has written a series of fact sheets on a wide range of topics. I encourage everyone who is interested in gardening to read through these. They contain great information:
https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

Some of the information in those documents is collected here, in an interview she did; this is part 1:
https://joegardener.com/podcast/034-...chalker-scott/

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, a type of salt. It is only effective if there's a documented deficiency of magnesium in the soil. Putting unnecessary chemicals in a garden pollutes the water table or nearby water sources. Here is Dr. Chalker-Scott's fact sheet on Epsom salt: https://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/...psom-salts.pdf

Blossom end rot happens when the plant can't take up calcium from the soil. It's rare to have a calcium deficiency in soil, so unless you have a documented deficiency, powdered milk isn't doing anything.

Tags
tips, tomato