Tomato question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would seed the tomatoes for two reasons: 1.) they effect the texture. A tomato seed is essentially a chunk of wood, and 2.) many people, myself included, wear dentures and tomato seeds can get under a denture plate and become uncomfortable, so be aware of your target audience before deciding.
i don't want to start an argument but tomato seeds are excellent fiber. do you seed every slice of tomato for any sandwich? when you order anything "out" do you order asking "without" tomato seeds in your salad? or do you just not eat raw with seeds tomatoes anytime? i am just curious, not trying to start a fight. i happen to love juicy tomatoes WITH seeds. and can't image a BLT with a tomato ring.

msmofet: The original query was about making tomato sauce, and yes, I do either deseed beforehand, or strain after blending. As to raw tomatoes, as in sandwiches and salads, it's really not that difficult to deseed a tomato chunk or slice under a quick faucet rinse, and you do have more left than just the ring. Admittedly, I'll eat a tomato slice on a hamburger or BLT at a restaurant - with a restroom nearby where I can rinse my denture plate afterward. As for fiber, there much tastier forms - wheat germ or oatmeal for instance.

msmofet: The original query was about making tomato sauce, and yes, I do either deseed beforehand, or strain after blending. As to raw tomatoes, as in sandwiches and salads, it's really not that difficult to deseed a tomato chunk or slice under a quick faucet rinse, and you do have more left than just the ring. Admittedly, I'll eat a tomato slice on a hamburger or BLT at a restaurant - with a restroom nearby where I can rinse my denture plate afterward. As for fiber, there much tastier forms - wheat germ or oatmeal for instance.
oh ok i was curious.

oh i love wheat germ i put it in all my baked goods and waffles/pancakes batter!! oatmeal yummy!! when my dd's were little i added wheat germ to their baby cereal along with vanilla yogurt. and also PB & J with wheat germ.

I was just watching Americas Test Kitchen. They were making a vegetable gratin. They were very concerned with getting rid of as much moisture from the veggies as possible so they removed the seeds and "jelly" from the tomatoes, but found when they did that they lost a lot of taste. According to ATK the "jelly contains 3x more of the flavor glutamate compounds than the flesh of the tomato. I am not claiming this is true or not, but this is what they said.

I was just watching Americas Test Kitchen. They were making a vegetable gratin. They were very concerned with getting rid of as much moisture from the veggies as possible so they removed the seeds and "jelly" from the tomatoes, but found when they did that they lost a lot of taste. According to ATK the "jelly contains 3x more of the flavor glutamate compounds than the flesh of the tomato. I am not claiming this is true or not, but this is what they said.
AND THATS WHY I NEVER REMOVE THE SEEDS AND JUICE FROM TOMATOES!! mom taught me at her knee ............ never remove the seeds or jucie from tomatoes when making sauce, always use the parsley stems because all the flavor is in there, always use the hearts and leaves of the celery for the same reason.

I absolutely agree with using the entire tomato when it is fresh! The only time I'd seed one (or peel it for that matter) was when feeding someone with diverticulitis. BUT when preserving it, you wind up with a lot of water, which is no big deal in some ways (if you have the freezer space, you can just pour off the water on the top of the container) and you're good to go. If, though, you're limited in space (as I am), seeding gives you a concentrate that takes up a lot less space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom