What are you planning for your kitchen garden this spring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
I am excited this is the first year I will have my own garden. I have been living in apartments for the last 10yrs and have missed growing stuff and getting my hands in the dirt.

I only have small front and back yards the back (SW)will be for veggies and herbs. It will be mostly in containers thinking of starting with basics like tomatos kitchen herbs and squash eventually I would like to cut a pit in the concrete for a fig tree and maybe a grape vine.

Anybody have anything cool in the works for thier gardens this spring?

We are optimistically planning on an "asian" garden...
Bok choy, napa cabbage, basil, daikon radishes, 3 types of greens, some
other herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers and I forget what else.

Pray for our history setting drought to end soon, LOL!

Tomatoes, peppers, herbs, I think that is about it unless we start some watermelon, cantaloupe, or honey dew for the kids later on.

We are optimistically planning on an "asian" garden...
Bok choy, napa cabbage, basil, daikon radishes, 3 types of greens, some
other herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers and I forget what else.

Pray for our history setting drought to end soon, LOL!

DH planted string beans, peas and onions this past weekend. This coming weekend, in will go various lettuces, spinach and garlic. When the lettuce and spinach are done, we'll do roma and Better Boy tomatoes and one or two heirloom varieties, tomatillos, cucumbers, bell peppers, hot peppers - not sure what else as far as veggies.

I have a fairly large herb garden - sage, bay laurel, rosemary, thyme, mint and lemon verbena are perennials here, so I already have those. And my tarragon survived! That was a surprise :)

The local chapter of the Herb Society of America has an annual sale in April, so I get annual herbs there - lots of sweet and Thai basil, flat-leaf parsley, a few others. I also want to get a Meyer lemon tree.

Luckily, we have a well, so even with the drought, we can water the garden as much as it needs.

I have 1100 :huh: heirloom tomato seedlings in my sunroom even as we speak. Thirteen different varieties, plus some eggplants, perennial flowers, and herbs.

All but a couple dozen will be sold to benefit our local humane group.

I also ordered 4 hardy Kiwi plants. I understand that fruiting is kind of iffy here, because the season is a little too short, but the arbor will serve as a privacy barrier. Any fruit will be a bonus.

Flat leaf parsley, cilantro,marjoram,basil,thyme,sage,chives,some onion sets, tomatoes,cucumbers,rosemary,and red lettuce and anything that catches my fancy at the nursery..
I already have 2 apple trees, 3 peaches, I nectarine, one white peach/white nectarine mix, grapes,we just put in a walnut, have a tangerine tree,and am seriously thinking of giving several artichoke plants a try again..

kadesma

I started my gardening hobby in containers a few years ago and have now moved up to raised beds. Tomato plants do well in containers but be sure they are good-sized containers. Bush cucumbers do well also. I have planted peas in window boxes and let them vine up trellis. Peppers also do very well as do green beans. If you have large wiskey barrel you can plant radishes and lettuce even carrots with your other plants.

This year I will be planting in my raised beds peas, onions, radishes, carrots, beets, lettuce and greeens next week. Later in the spring I'll plant heirloom tomatos, (Polish Linguisa and Brandywine), peppers, zuchinin and crook-neck squash, runner beans and green/yellow/purple beans. I have grown all of these in containers at one time. So if you have the sun, anything is possible. Just remember containers can dry out quickly.

Dave

I was just out weeding the herb garden and I have Greek oregano and chives out there, too :) And I want to get some lemongrass this year, since I want to start working on my Thai curry skills :chef: Cilantro just bolts to seed here :unhappy:

We always put in tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions. I also have a large crop of rhubarb. My son-in-law always keeps us supplied with sweet corn( the peaches and cream kind). Oh my goodness, it is so good.

While I do like to put in a large regular vegetable garden every year, I ALWAYS plant a few things in large containers on the deck in the event that any/all of the critters around here decide to throw a veggie buffet party. That way I still have something to rely on - lol! Plus, it's nice to able to step out the door to pick something if it's rainy or dark without having to traipse out to the hinterlands.

My "deck kitchen garden" necessities consist of several different tomato varieties (cherry, slicer, paste), several different peppers (hot & sweet), several different eggplants (Italian & Asian), several okra plants (the flowers are lovely), along with various herbs - Italian flat-leaf parsley, several basils (lemon, lime, & regular), sage, rosemary, thyme (regular & lemon).

Once in awhile I'll sow some greens & beans in deck pots, but for the most part, everything else goes out in the regular garden.

I just put in a yellow and a large cherry variety of tomato out in the garden. I'm also trying habanero peppers this year; supposedly they have a special flavor to them but we'll see. And I just started some sweet potato slips that'll go out once they get big enough.

I also bought a blueberry plant which I potted up in a large container with lots of peat moss. It's more of an experiment to see how well they grow here (Houston). Other than that, we just have the usual bananas, grapes, and citrus trees that produce year after year.

I also bought a blueberry plant which I potted up in a large container with lots of peat moss. It's more of an experiment to see how well they grow here (Houston). Other than that, we just have the usual bananas, grapes, and citrus trees that produce year after year.

Interesting on the blueberries in H-Town wonder how they will do in all that heat and humidity I am surprized that you do good with grapes. I need to find a grape variety that will do well here in cold hot humid dirty philly....

This time of year I miss Texas (lived in Houston for 6 years) spring is allready full force down there while up north I have only a few sad crocus and daff sprouts.

lemon grass, lemon basil, basil, parsley, cilantro, thyme, sage, chives, oregano, Italian oregano, green onions, tomatoes, jalepenos, bell peppers, carrots, peas, a salad mix, asparagus, corn, acorn squash, raspberries. I think that covers it. Oh yeah, and we have a honeycrisp apple tree and a plum tree but they are really young and probably won't produce fruit yet. I think I'll add a peach tree to the collection too.

lettuces, arugula, radishes, spinach, and maybe swiss chard and carrots are going into the ground from seed the week after next.

i'll leave a few feet between the rows of each of these so that the warmer weather stuff: tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, cukes, and beans have a place to go when mid-may rolls around.

the spring stuff comes to fruition just after the summer stuff is put in. i love seeing the garden full with so much promise like that.

lol, dw thinks i just like to grow stuff and that i get annoyed during harvesting. i'm just waiting for perfection, that's all...:angel:

A co-worker told me today he started seeds of 6 kinds of heirloom tomatoes and offered me some of the plants when they're ready. So I won't have to buy those this year :cool:

I always grow extras of everything for giveaways.

In fact, the wife of an Indian gentleman who works for my husband is the most FABULOUS cook of authentic Indian home-style cuisine that I've ever encountered. Since she knows I love Indian food, she frequently sends leftovers to work with her husband for my husband to bring home to me.

Since I know they garden, in the spring I, in turn, send dear husband to work with cartons full of potted transplants of heirloom tomatoes, hot & sweet peppers, okra, herbs - literally whatever I've started indoors from seed - for her to use in her garden.

We've developed quite the little symbiotic relationship - lol!!

hmm well i live in a unit on the 4th floor, so i am trying to grow a couple things on the verandah atm lol

currently, there are 50 millions chilli plants, a couple with a few chillis starting to grow, theres this random bean plant that is growing with what looks like 2 beans, there are a bunch of small tomato plants growing, parlsey and basil.

where the chilli and tomato plants are going to end up...i really don't know cos there is seriously NO ROOM on the verandah :( oh i so want a garden. my mum ended up with heaps of plants already!

I always grow extras of everything for giveaways.

That's why I planted three bunches of lemon grass. The starts were really cheap, and very hard to find. It costs $4 for 3 lemon grass stalks at the local grocery store, and there is only one store you can buy them (and they are always old and gross) so I planted a bunch to share with the neighbors.

where the chilli and tomato plants are going to end up...i really don't know cos there is seriously NO ROOM on the verandah :( oh i so want a garden. my mum ended up with heaps of plants already!

When we lived in an apartment, DH wired window boxes to the outside of the fire escape railing - that was my first herb garden :) Maybe if you can put the herbs on the railing around the verandah (since presumably the containers are smaller and lighter), you'll have more room on the verandah for the larger tomato and chile plants? HTH.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom