"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Culinary Gardener
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #81
Head Chef

I still don't know if I'll pull out the worst looking tomatoes, and plant the extras I have, as they seem to be recovering. 2 of the 5 extras are of the varieties worst hit by that cold; the other extras don't look as good as the recovered plants, which were barely bothered by it.

I just took my eggplants out to start hardening off this morning, and they have gotten quite large, quickly! Normally, they would have been planted by now, but the weather has not been normal this month! lol I put 7 outside, and I still have two smaller ones in the seedling room, but they will be outside soon.
Eggplants hardening off 5-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I have some Ichiban, my earliest every year, a Hari, a Neon from old seeds, and one from saved seeds (Not sure how these will be, since these are supposedly hybrids), and Rosita and Rosa Bianca - the two new ones this season, for me. I got rosita because it looks similar to the bright purple Neon, which it seems has disappeared from the seed catalogs. This is also why I tried saving the seeds, even though they are listed as hybrids. They have been my most productive variety since back in the late 80s/early 90s, though there was one other time it went unavailable for a few years. Here's a photo showing some of last year's neons:
Neon and Ichiban, 7-14. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I have more eggplants than I normally plant, but I might plant the extras in that raised bed, just to have extras, given the food situation. Last season I had extras with just 4 plants in SIPs...imagine how many 9 plants would produce!

And those greens and scallions are going crazy, as usual! Those purple napa are doing better in the raised bed - they bolted in the Jr Earthbox, probably because of the sudden drops in temps, which seems to trigger this in napa, more than high temperature.
Covered raised bed, 5-13-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Old 05-14-2020, 01:12 PM   #82
Executive Chef

Everything's looking good! And not that Im happy you're having issues with the tomatoes, but Im glad its not just me. These sudden burst of cold weather has kinda taken me back a bit. My cucumbers and kirbies are quite pissed off too. Good thing I bought/ started by seed , more than I need, cause im sure ill have to dip into my back up plants.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #83
Head Chef

My cucurbits are all still indoors - most going out this weekend. They were started a week and a half ago, along with the okra, in Jiffy pellets, and the squash, cukes, and some of the edible gourds have roots showing through already, which is what I look for. One squash, and the two bitter gourds are the only ones that did not germinate, so I started some more of each in a seed sprouter about 3 days ago, and the squash sprouted; the bitter gourds are always the slowest.

Today, I got some of the garden ready for beans - the ground is warm enough, despite the recent cold. I have 7 or 8 varieties of pole beans this year.
Old 05-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #84
Cook

I had to replant about half the garden, my covering up worked until the last night, but the last one was -3 and all the tomatoes, zucchini, and squash died, plus most of the peppers.
I had spares for a bunch, but had to go buy some more plants too.
I'm most annoyed about the super-hot peppers, I've restarted seeds but they will we very late.
GreenEnvy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #85
Head Chef

Sorry to hear about your garden, GE22. I hope there are no more cold snaps for you!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:15 PM   #86
Executive Chef

On a happy note, my garlic , arugula ,most of my asian greens, and radishes are doing really well. Even my potatoes seem to be thriving
Old 05-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #87
Head Chef

I got a bunch done today, despite the heat...it must not have been very humid, since the first hot day like this (got to 87, plus intense sun) usually stops me in my tracks, until I get used to the heat! Before I knew it, it was late afternoon, and getting cooler (though it's still 83 out there!).

I got 7 of my eggplants planted - 5 in SIPs, and 2 in that new raised bed. I still have 2 to plant - seedlings that were the slowest, but are growing quickly, now! I had a lot of extra eggplants in 2018 from 6 plants, so last season I reduced to 4 plants, and still had a bunch of extras, to freeze and dehydrate. Imagine what 9 plants will produce!
Ichiban eggplant 5-15. The one on the left grew considerably in the few days that I hardened them off. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Neon eggplant, from saved seeds 5-15 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rosita and Rosa Bianca in SIP 5-15 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rosita and Rosa Bianca, in the new raised bed. 5-15 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here are the two eggplants that will be planted in a couple of days - the Hari green one, and the Neon, from old seeds.
Hari and Neon eggplant seedlings 5-15 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I got most of my cucurbits planted today, though the two bitter gourds have still not germinated, despite having them in a seed sprouter! They are always the slowest, I guess because of the very thick seed shell. 3 of the 4 butternuts got planted, 4 of the 4 cucumbers, 1 each of the two bottle gourds (I'm planning on planting more a month from now), and both of the 2 Tinda gourds (a new one for me). All of these are in SIPs, except the butternuts, which are in a row with a new variety of moschata squash that I got from Baker Creek - Yuxi.....Gua (I forget the other two parts of the name!), which supposedly can be harvested immature, and used as summer squash, which is why I had to try it! It didn't germinate well, the first time, but it said the packed was overpacked, because of low germination! Second try, I put some in my sprouter, with the bitter gourds, and got 2 sprouts in less than 2 days, and they are on the way!
Cucurbits - butternuts at top, then cucumbers, bottle gourds in the middle, and Tinda gourds the smallest on the bottom. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Garlic is doing well, and I hope that we don't get the rain we did last year, in the month before harvest.
Garlic, and on the right 3 just planted butternut seedlings. 5-15-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And asparagus are coming up, though I haven't harvested, since I knew I wouldn't have much the first year, and I've read that it's best to leave them be, the first year or so.
Largest asparagus, so far. 5-15 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 05-16-2020, 06:19 AM   #88
Executive Chef

Yesterday was the first hot humid day of the season here, and its amazing how much growth and change there was in the one day. I dont have any pics, but before work I strolled the garden, and when I got home about 9 hours later, there was evidence of new growth on just about everything. Im not a big fan of hot and humid, but my plants sure do love it.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #89
Sous Chef

Well...its been a frustrating spring in North Georgia. I, as always, plant my garden soon after Good Friday and then put my tomatoes out after April 20th, which is the considered Frost free date. Well that all changed this year. April 15th it was 30 F at my house, then we go 9 inches of rain in the next 3 weeks. Then to make matters worse on May 10th it was 31 F. I covered my tomatoes but still suffered damage on my Brandywines. In short all my seeds rotted. the only thing that came up was my corn. So I replanted everything. i did have enough spare tomato plants to replace the ones that did not make it through the cold and wet. I am now patiently :( waiting for it to come up.
GA Home Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #90
Head Chef

I got a lot done, in the last few days! Well, actually Thursday and Sunday - Friday and Saturday were rainouts, though we did need some rain, and it was only 1.27", unlike some areas I saw in the news! I hope none of you are in those areas.

I uncovered my raised bed, and harvested some for that Thai curry I made. I re-covered it, to prevent the pests; there were a few plants that had bolted, but not many. I harvested just one huge scallion, that had started flowering, and it was equivalent to about 6-8 regular scallions, when I chopped it up.
Red Bor Kale, 5-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Rex Dragon Napa, and some large scallions, 5-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A good sized komatsuna, some kohlrabi, and some small leeks, 5-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

One of my most productive, and heat resistant brassica greens is Senposai, a cross of komatsuna and cabbage, which has gone into August, in my garden, before bolting. I just keep cutting, and cutting, and it grows back!
One of the huge Senposai leaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I got all of my okra planted - 6 emerald and 12 Little Lucy. Here are the Emeralds, planted Thursday. 3 days later, after all that rain, but also a lot of sun in between the rains, they have at least doubled in size.
Emerald okra, planted 5-21 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I planted my last two eggplants Thursday, too - the Hari and the Neon, from the old seeds. Smaller than the others, but they are usually the largest, eventually.
Hari and Neon (from old seeds) eggplants, last ones to go in, 5-21. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I got all but my largest inside plant outside (I'll need help with that thing, just to get it down to the floor!) - the smallest kaffir lime tree already has at least 8 areas of new growth on it!
The smaller kaffir lime tree, with several areas of new growth, after being transferred to outside. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Old 05-25-2020, 01:17 PM   #91
Head Chef

I also planted the rest of my peppers yesterday, but didn't take the photos of those yet. I think I only planted 23 this year! That has to be a record for me. I used to plant over 80, but there aren't as many people helping me eat them anymore.

I got my basil clones in my jr Earthbox, on my deck. I had to wait longer than I usually do, because of the cold, and the roots grew a little large.
My first basil clones, 5-21-20. Had to wait a little long to plant them, due to the cold. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Another herb I put in some of the jr EBs on the deck was parsley. Though I prefer flat leaf, I have to grow the curly in smaller boxes, as well as the hydroponics, as the flat leaf varieties all get overgrown in both. No matter which variety I tried, they would end up almost like Hamburg root parsley! The curly parsley grows well in both, and I can actually transfer it from the hydroponics, to the outside EB.
Twin parsley plant, from the hydroponics. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Separated twin parsley plants. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Larger of the two hydroponic parsley plants, in a Jr EB. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Smallest hydroponics parsley plant, in another Jr EB. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Trimmed parsley, from hydroponics plants, before transplanting to Jr EBs. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'm going to have to make something with a lot of parsley in it!
Old 05-25-2020, 09:57 PM   #92
Cook

Garden is now coming along pretty well. only issue is the various potatoes we ordered online in late April haven't arrived yet, so still have an empty bed (top right) waiting for those.might just give up and plant whatever generic stuff we can pickup at home depot, and use those special ones as a 2nd crop.

Pepper plants coming along, but dozens of dill plants coming up in that bed (top left), had dill there last year and it seeded itself very well. I'll leave them a bit longer so we an harvest for canning season.

Tons of sunflowers coming up everywhere. Having to just rip them out by the dozens as I have no where to transplant them too anymore.

Some of my hops is already over 10 ft high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GardenCam-20200525-1701456952.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	41180  

GreenEnvy22 is offline   Reply With Quote