What are your garden plans for 2021?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never heard of them until someone mentioned theme here ( In DC) possibly even in this thread earlier in the year. Basically they are onions but grow similarly to shallots . You plant one bulb and then when harvested, there are multiple bulbs. They are typically smaller than the average onion. and could vary in size and also apparently have good storage shelf life.

Im growing it more out of curiosity than anything else, as Iv never even heard of them until a few months back and Im always looking to try new things.

My regular onion crop was actually better than usual this year, so im not looking to replace what I did, just. try something new.

They also have multiple different names ( other than potato onion).

Just received 50 Saffron Crocus bulbs.
Apparently they are planted and bloom in the fall
First time doing it ( always wanted to).
I know it wont be a lot , but doing it more for the experience .

We have a fall Crocus here in the yard...I wonder if they are the same???

Not sure. I bought these specifically for saffron harvest ( or at least thats what they claim it to be). Honestly, im not even crazy about saffron, but want to experience growing and harvesting it at least once just say I did it :)

Not sure. I bought these specifically for saffron harvest ( or at least thats what they claim it to be). Honestly, im not even crazy about saffron, but want to experience growing and harvesting it at least once just say I did it :)
Be sure to pull out your knee pads and reading glasses. Oh, and a pair of tweezers. I grew those one year; I felt like an old lady by the time I pulled all the threads even though I was under 40. Didn't seem much different than store bought saffron. Probably cost more considering the cost of the bulbs and that they had only one really productive year. Either they flamed out, or the varmits ate the bulbs. Still, have fun with them!

Be sure to pull out your knee pads and reading glasses. Oh, and a pair of tweezers. I grew those one year; I felt like an old lady by the time I pulled all the threads even though I was under 40. Didn't seem much different than store bought saffron. Probably cost more considering the cost of the bulbs and that they had only one really productive year. Either they flamed out, or the varmits ate the bulbs. Still, have fun with them!

I hear ya. Im sure my back wont forgive me for awhile, but still looking forward to it. And yeah, Im sure im losing money in the deal, but im going for the experience so I can file under the ' been there, done that' list,

Some stuff is just more enjoyable, when you realize that you won't save money doing it, but you will learn and have the experience. Otherwise, the let down from realizing that you just spent more money to have to do the work too, can be off putting.

Last edited:
It was really disgusting outside today - every time I'd go outside briefly, it was so humid it was misting, even at 4 pm. So most of my time was in the basement, cleaning up, and getting the hydroponics setup. I didn't have the lid for the smaller one ready - that's something that I have to finish outside, and it's supposed to be nicer tomorrow...some time later in the day.
Getting the hydroponics ready, 10-5 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It wasn't really great out there today - still humid, and mosquitoes all over wanting to land on me, but fortunately, I sprayed myself, before going to work. I was hoping this melting Styrofoam would sort of keep them away from the area, but it didn't.

I cut the floating cover for the 12 gal hydro system, and it fits great. I got it in place, and filled both tubs to capacity, then added about 2/3 of the nutrients. They test about where they should, but I'll let it stabilize overnight, and check again, then tweak it up to where I want it. Then start planting!
Just cut the holes and the notches in the floating cover for the 12 gal hydro system, with this tool by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Both tubs filled up, and about 2/3 of the nutrients added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Looking good Pepper. Im a few weeks behind on getting Hydro stuff ready.

Nearing the end of th season, this is what I got going on.

Last of the peppers and eggplants will be picked by the end of the week.
Peanuts and Sweet potatoes to be harvest in about 2 weeks. In he one pic you can see the sweet potato vines covering the ground as the pole bean vines are climbing up the trellis
Garlic, shallots and potato onions will go in in about 2 weeks
Currently got Arugula, leaf lettuce and radishes just about ready to harvest
I have more lettuce seeds in large pots that I started more recently to emend the season, but will depend on the temperature
Also have some dill, parsley and cilantro that have sprouted and the rosemary and sage plant are holding there own.

Kale plants transplanted into the garden. Ill pick some leaves now, I will cover them and over winter them so I get an early start next year. I actually like when they go to flower, cause I stir fry up the flowers. the metal over the veggies is to prevent my cats from digging them up. I also have some carrots I will cover as well.

Gott some broccoli kohlrabi and cabbage that I bought as plants, but I usually have bad luck with them in the fall.

Getting ready to start the process of moving my more exotic indoor/ outdoor plants back indoors again ( coffee, citrus, curry, cinnamon, pineapple and banana.
Ill wrap up the figs that are in the ground in a month or so, and bring the ones that are in pots into the garage after they loose their leaves

Curious if thee shiitake log will produce any more this season, and eagerly awaiting my oyster mushroom kit so I can get that started.

Chestnuts falling from thee tree, and the kiwis need cooler weather to fully ripen.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.09.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.09.15 PM.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.09.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.09.07 PM.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.09.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.09.01 PM.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.08.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.08.52 PM.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.08.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.08.44 PM.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.08.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 8.08.36 PM.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I got a bunch of seeds planted in the hydro today - still a few more to go. Only thing I'm rooting from a cutting is the red epazote - the other things I usually root didn't do well late into the season, so I didn't start my cloner.

Some of the seeds planted on 10-08 - lettuce, Mizuna, Serrata basil, Zaatar (2 sprouted seeds), two dills, baby bok choy, spearmint. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also got my 3 lbs of seed garlic today. Metechi - a favorite of mine, since it is the longest storing hardneck I've grown. Music - one I went back too, since it also stores well, and they had a deal on it, along with Georgian Fire - one I grew several years ago, but only didn't grow it again because the places I would find Metechi and Estonian Red from, didn't have it. This year, I'll just use my own stash of ER, which I've been saving the largest from. I'll check to see about how many cloves I have of the 3 lbs, and see how much room I have to fill up with the ER.

Started up 4 Gardens today

I "planted" 4 gardens today. Tomatoes and peppers. Well, 6 tomato pods and 2 peppers. I've got a few Cherry type Tomatoes (Golden Harvest Cherry, Mega Cherry, Orange Hat & Micro Tom Tomato), 1 Bush Champion II, 1 Roma Tomato Inca Jewels and then 2 Jalapenos, 1 NuMex Orange Spice and 1 Pumkin Spice Jalapeno.

Tomorrow, I plan to plant some Herbs and some Greens!

IMG_5629.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

I've got all sorts of itty-bitty plants now. Just about 10 days in and there are tomato plants, pepper plants, lettuce, herbs...it is exciting to see them growing again. Will be planting flowers for the kitchen soon too.

IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5656.jpg

I got my garlic planted today, in one of my raised beds, for the first time. 138 cloves in 6 rows, separated by some landscape fabric, which I cut into rolls, one 3 1/2" for the edges, and two 5 1/2" rolls (though only one of the 50 ft 5 1/2" rolls was needed). I "fluffed up" the soil, before putting the fabric in, then put the Music garlic in the 2 center rows, then the Metechi in one row, and 8 cloves in one outer row. Georgian Fire went in the row to the left of Music, and 15 in the other outer row. This left a total of 25 spaces for Estonian Red - my favorite, due to the huge cloves, often only 4 per head, and intense flavor. Unfortunately, not my best for storage, but I always use them first, saving the largest for planting, unless buying.
Cutting 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 inch rolls of landscape fabric, to put in raised bed, with garlic. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished rolls of landscape fabric. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

10x4 bed, set up for the garlic, 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some of my largest Estonian Reds, ready to split up and put in the 25 empty spaces in the bed. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Estonian Red, sitting in the rubbing alcohol, before planting, 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Planting of the garlic bed finished, with 138 cloves, 10-28 by pepperhead212, on Flickering

After this, I put a thick layer of ground up leaves on top, to mulch (still had them from last season). Tomorrow's rain will pack it down some, and I'll have more leaves soon, for sure!

In my hydroponics, the seedlings are doing well, and all came up well. Just about every seed germinated, and I pulled out the smaller ones. Of the 3 types of basil, the serrata is the fastest, as usual.

The seed spearmint I'm trying this time, hoping that it does better than the cuttings, which I tried several times, but, unfortunately, while the plant grew like wildfire, they would eventually come down with aphids. They never appear on the plants outside in the mint patch, but were all over the ones inside, but not on the leaves - only the stems! I could not get rid of them, and other plants, that never got them, would get "spillover" from them, so I would remove them, and the aphids would disappear. Yet, peppermint would never get aphids! But unfortunately, it just doesn't taste as good.
Bok choy, 2 types of dill, basil, and seed spearmint, in hydroponics, 10-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

2 lettuces, 3 basils, and mizuna in hydroponics, 10-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Even though this is more planning for next years garden than this year, I just constructed a few raised beds for wine cap mushrooms and Morels. I order straw for the wine cap bed, and mixed some peat moss, compost and soil in the morel bed ( all also add some shredded leaves as they fall for more organic material). Ill add the mushroom spawn in the next week or two after I hydrate everything.

My garlic and shallots have sprouted and inch or so. This is the first year I pre treated / soaked the cloves before planting, so I was a little nervous that I may have screwed something up ( as it is new to me), so seeing things sprout makes me feel more confident that I didn't subject them to an early death.

Its that time of year to look over my notes for the season, and reflect on what worked and what didnt, what changes to make and what to leave the same. Which crops or varieties to retire and which new ones to add too next years rotation. I was pretty good with my noes this year, so it should be easier than usual. Looking forward to a more successful next years growing season.

Slowly moving the outdoor plants that need to be indoors, indoors. I have already soaked the soil to eliminate most pests in addition to spraying the foliage. they are now in their halfway house ( my garage to kinda reduce the shock before they come in for the next 6 months). I rarely loose any plants bringing them inside, but I definitely piss them off. Some plants wont make the full journey , as Ive run my course with them. Not worth the effort of bringing them indoors so they will stay in the insulated garage. I did that last year to a bunch and they did just fine, I have limited window space inside, so I want to focus on those plants that I care most about.

Already got parsley growing in the hydroponic system along with a few plants im trying to make cuttings from

The figs that arrow in pots will get wrapped and hibernate in the garage, That worked out very well last year. Didn't lose any growth. I have 2 huge fig trees outside that I wrapped last year. they also didnt loose any growth, and tripled in size, but no production. Ill prune them heavily and wrap them the same way I did last year and hope that since they're more mature, they will produce more.

Looking forward to garden catalogue season ( already got a couple) but usually doesn't kick in for a month for two.

Back
Top Bottom