When can I harvest my Japanese Cucumber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I have several Japanese cukes over 12 inches long now (One is nearly 18"). But even the largest has sharp spiky thorns on it. I assumed the fruits would "tell" me when to harvest by smoothing the spikes into merely bumps, but now I'm not so sure. I read online that if you wait too long to harvest, even the burpless will start to get seeds. When can I start eating?

I would pick one and try it....
My cukes never lost thier spikes last year.
This year the darn things wont even grow, I'm jealous! I wanted to try making pickles finally.

Now you can eat them, depending if they are firm, but not hard, if that makes sense. Twist your hand around
the cuc to twist off prickly bumps and it's ready to munch. If the "spikes resist too much, wait a day or two more, but at that length, they should be good to go.
Enjoy. Let us know how tasty they are.

Thanks for the advice. I was nervous when Suzi said to try one because I thought "What if I get hurt?!" But what you said makes sense about swiping off the pricklies.

I will take a picture of them when I get home and let you know how it turns out.

Suzi- There's still time. Once mine started growing, I swear they went from flowers to 12" in two weeks!

Yeah I forgot to mention that part, I just wiped them off... :)
wouldn't want ya to get hurt eating cukes! Explain that to the dr!!!

I eat all my cukes at any stage untill they get over ripe. So better get them a little early, and whipe off the prickles, then waiting until they are over ripe and seedy.

Larry, is this what the dentist is doing when you are sitting there waiting for an hour, drooling all over yourself? Talking cukes with strangers?
Just curious. :mrgreen::LOL:

Last edited:
Larry, is this what the dentist is doing when you are sitting there waiting for an hour, drooling all over yourself? Talking cukes with strangers?
Just curious. :)

We're merely Semi-Strangers, I hope!

When I get home I will have to harvest 6 cucumbers, I think then, based on Larry's advice. Cucumber salad tonight for sure!

How about a nice salad idea for a gal with no tomatoes yet?
I do have:
Romaine
Red Onions
White Onions
Green Onions
Poblanos
Pepperoncinis (Not pickled, fresh)
Dill, Basil, Parsley, Oregano, Chives, Garlic Chives, Lemon Verbena, Sage
Zucchini
Raspberries/Blackberries (I never know what you guys'll come up with so worth a mention)

Here it is!
picture.php

Semi-strangers maybe, But I have no problems admitting im strange !!!!

That is one impressive cuke. A few years back, I grew Armenian cukes which were big, but nothing compared to that. This year just pickling cukes and something else from some left over seeds i had. It will be a surprise when they grow.

And NO, today was my day off, so i was in the garden most of the day.

In between patients, Im usually checking the responses to the DC forums :-p

YIKS!!!!!! YOU NEED TO HARVEST NOW, NOW NOW!!!

GIVE IT TO "peeper" for that sunburn!!!!

Seriously, pick it now. The middle is past done.
It should look like both your ends (Not yours, the cucs.Ha!)

It should look like both your ends (Not yours, the cucs.Ha!)

HA!
:rolleyes:
You're right- it was slightly seedy but delicious nonetheless. Here it is 10 minutes ago (now it's in my belly). A little too much dressing so I'll harvest the others to soak up some of that sauce in the leftovers.

picture.php

When it comes to cukes and zukes, I'm a big believer in harvesting early and often! The smaller the seed, the better. I grew that variety last year and it was very popular with my friends. This year I'm growing what hubby calls "albino cukes" and the kind you make little mini pickles with! But Hubby wants me to grow the skinny ones next year!

Yes, Claire these ones have been popular with the neighbors because they are so unusual looking. We'll grow them again next year.

Will I have luck making pickle chips with the Japanese variety?

Back
Top Bottom