Cooking my roasts in a Sunbeam Electric frypan.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussie girl

Senior Cook
I cook all my roasts in my Sunbeam Electric frypan. For a beef roast, I always use the Blade. The temperature is on 110 (the second lowest notch on the dial), and I time it to cook at 1hour/kilo or roughly translated, 30 minutes/pound. Turn the meat half way through cooking. If the meat is large and there's not room for the vegetables, I cook them first, and leave them warming in the oven.

Both my Mum and I have always done roasts this way, and have both received many compliments from the un-initiated. Even DH says my roasts are better than his Mothers!!! Does anyone else use an electric frypan/skillet?

We use one occasionally. He usually uses one when making country style steak.

I do believe we are talking about the same frypan. Mine is also 2 1/2 inches deep, the lid is 3 inches high and base is 12 inches square.

Never even thought of cooking a roast in it! But then again about all I use it for is fried chicken and candied yams...pretty unimaginiative of me....

How exciting! I just received my first electric frying pan as a gift from my Sister-in-law. She visits Germany regularly and she found them there.

I used it last night for fried potatoes. I never even considered making a roast in one. Will definitely keep it in mind.

Pam

I used to cook in them all the time, but for somereason, I have not had one for years, did not replace it when it died out. And now that I live alone, the big ones are not practical. I do have a rather odd appearing one that is a grill on the bottom rather than flat. I have used it and cooked an entire meal in it, using a metal measuring cup for frozen peas, and whole small potatoes in the bottom. Yeah, it is good that way.

Yes I have..works like a slow cooker. A friend introduced me to this idea at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. She would put her roast in one and when Church was over her dinner would be ready.
I guess we don't do it here because of the Crock Pots and Slow Cookers.

Brillant

That is how my Mum did roasts for years. It was a Sunday dinner thing and took all day in the old electris fry pan. Meat first then the vegies with a little dripping for flavour, then gravy from the residue. Fantastic way to cook.:-p

Back
Top Bottom