Corned Beef baked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I asked about this before, but can't find my old thread. some nice person on this list said Bake It!

I think it was boil for 20 minutes first to remove saltyness,
Wrap in foil and bake with appricot jam coating
then open foil and brown top under broiler.

I don't remember the time or temperature.
350f for 2 hrs
250f for 4 hrs?

maybe just check it after a while untill it is fork tender?

Thanks, Eric.

I have had it both ways. Prefer boiled. My family likes to use the pot liquor to mix in their veggies with butter.

Make sure you boil it first, or at least soak it for a while, changing the water 3 times or it will be really salty.

I forgot to do that once when smoking a corned beef, and it was horribly salty afterwards.

I should have first boiled the last one we got as a business gift from one of DH's customers years ago. I followed the directions on the package, and baked it without soaking or boiling. DH's parents were visiting, and they politely ate some, but to me, it was totally inedible. I threw it away, and made something else.

Last edited:
I've had pretty good luck making corned beef in the oven. Granted it's more of a braise then a bake, but I much prefer this cooking method to boiling because it retains the flavor better. I make my own brine (very easy and you can control the salt level) and leave it sit in the fridge for several days. Then I sear it and cook at 225F in a covered dutch oven with just enough white wine in the bottom to keep up the moisture level in the pot. It takes about 5 hours, but comes out very juicy and tender. You can easily do the same thing in a crock pot, if you want.

img_1491269_0_138d1f6081d6b48815038818a93a83f9.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom