Crock Pot Kalua Pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
002.JPG

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!
I was passing by my "Asian Store" here in Southern AZ
and thought I'd better stop and stock up on what I could
before we move on to Northern AZ, where they have no
CLUE about anything but cowboy food ;), and and and ...
I walked out having spent $75USD :LOL:
Well, I have to say that that isn't hard to do, considering almost
everything I purchase is brought in from Hawaii :yum:

:clap::punk: You're going to love it Kgirl. It's a perfect blend and really great on fish too!

PS..I LOVE that braclet..is it Hawaiian and does it say something?

Last edited:
:clap::punk: You're going to love it Kgirl. It's a perfect blend and really great on fish too!

PS..
I LOVE that braclet..is it Hawaiian and does it say something?

Why yes, yes it does KL.
(I was so excited I didn't realize it got into the shot :blush:)
That is my Hawaiian Bracelet made by a prominent jeweler in Hawaii, and it's my "given Hawaiian" name.
When you turn 16 you are considered now an adult in the community and you are given a name by a relative or close family friend. Your given name always says something about you.
My name is :
Kapualeipunahelepiliohana
The favorite flower lei that brings the family together
My name nearly wraps completely around my bracelet.
My "Auntie" Clara gave me my name, she was a very close family friend, you may know her better as "Hilo Hattie", a very famous entertainer.
My parents gave me my bracelet when I graduated from High School, which is another tradition.
On my 30th birthday, I bought myself another Hawaiian Bracelet with my English name on it. Many women in Hawaii wear several bracelets at one time; each with one of their children's name's.
Hawaiian Bracelets
I never take mine off.

Auntie Clara was a hoot!
... but I digress from the topic at hand KL, I apologize.
I wanted to also say on the topic of Kalua Pig, while in my asian market, I found frozen banana leaves to make pork ala k~girl, but I will also try it your style as well. :yum:
Kgirl,
You might check your local Hispanic/Latin/Mexican store for banana leaves. I know our local one carries fresh banana leaves.

That was what I was going to suggest too, but cinisajoy beat me to it. I have seen banana leaves in Mexican markets here in the northland.

This sounds delicious - I'm going to make this after I use up the pulled pork already in the freezer. Thanks, Kay. I'll get my hands on some of that Noh seasoning as well. :)

I have a 3 lb. Boston Butt ..will I need to cook it as long? It's boneless btw.

No, it won't take as long lyndalou. My last cook was with a 3 lb. but I'm sorry I didn't pay attention how long it took to get it very tender. Remember, don't add any liquid to the pot, it will make it's own liquid.

Last edited:
No, it won't take as long lyndalou. My last cook was with a 3 lb. but I'm sorry I didn't pay attention how long it took to get it very tender. Remember, don't add any liquid to the pot, it will make it's own liquid.

It will need at least eight hours, though, in order to melt the collagen and tenderize the meat. I've used this method for my pulled pork recipe.

Just read this ( Monday morning) I used your method and cooked it on low for about 7-8 hours. It was great. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, so I bought a Pork Shoulder "Roast" at Walmart again
and was ACTUALLY reading the packaging and it has been "enhanced with 10% salt solution..."
HMMM
So that's why the last why my Kalua Pig was a bit too salty last time I made it...:ermm::LOL:
The only place that I can find a Pork Butt that has not been fiddled with is at our Asian Market and that's just too dang far away from our house.
All the other markets close by are charging an arm and a leg for Butt or Shoulder. I always thought that Pork Butt was the least expensive cut of Pork.
SO... Kalua Pig and Lomi Lomi Salmon will be on the menu in a coupla days...

View attachment 23769

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!
I was passing by my "Asian Store" here in Southern AZ
and thought I'd better stop and stock up on what I could
before we move on to Northern AZ, where they have no
CLUE about anything but cowboy food ;), and and and ...
I walked out having spent $75USD :LOL:
Well, I have to say that that isn't hard to do, considering almost
everything I purchase is brought in from Hawaii :yum:

Reverse Hawaiian financing. :angel:

It just doesn't get easier than this, and it's delicious.......

1 6lb pork butt roast
1 1/2 Tbs.. Hawaiian sea salt, or any sea salt
1 Tbs. liquid smoke

Make deep slits all over the roast with a long knife. Make a paste of the salt and liquid smoke, and massage it into the meat. (I use latex gloves)
Place the roast into the crockpot without any liquid. Cover, and cook on low for 10 to 12 hrs. Shred the meat, and add the drippings as needed to moisten.

I was browsing Pinterest last night and found several recipes similar to yours K... even one published by Epcot Center... here's what I found amazing ... NONE of them included Liquid Smoke!
I found a new product I'm going to look for ...
https://www.amazon.com/Js-Hawaii-Kiawe-Liquid-Bottle/dp/B01FUHUNLI

I was browsing Pinterest last night and found several recipes similar to yours K... even one published by Epcot Center... here's what I found amazing ... NONE of them included Liquid Smoke!
I found a new product I'm going to look for ...
/dp/B01FUHUNLI

You mean the recipe's you found were just with sea salt Kgirl? Odd.:huh:

That product you found is liquid smoke, right?

Color me confused.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom