Have you ever tried Brawn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESS

Cook
:LOL: HI, again , ANOTHER MEAT ?
What about BRAWN me and family like it melted under the grill over chips (fries) (brawn is pigs head boiled down so all meat falls away ,strained and pressed !!) any one tryed it ?? :roll:

Thanks for sharing, Jess. My grandpa's crowd would have loved it.

When my grandad was dying of cancer (melanoma caused by years working in the sunshine) my grandmother was desperate for him to eat. He had yearnings for brawn. Our brawn includes other bits as well like tongue, I can still see the taste buds poking out of the jelly..... From what I recall, if you closed your eyes, it tasted quite acceptable.

I've tasted tongue and it was very good but the person who'd cooked was known for her skill with that particular body part. I wouldn't try it on a bet!

Umm well lets see that sounds .. how can I put it .. interesting ? I had pig knee when I was in prague that wasn't too bad :D

Nope, sorry Buckytom - I draw the line at brawn..... YUK!! nooooo, haggis? That's quite another story! :LOL:

Middie
I know it's the brawn you are saying 'no' to - and not my offer of delicious haggis? :LOL: 8)

i had haggis for the first time yesterday. it was actually pretty good. my neighbor across the street was given some, and then offered it to me as she was feeding it to the stray cats in the neighborhood. :shock: i'm not sure if i should be insulted (i have always been a garbage belly, but i don't know how she knew tho), but it was good.
it reminded me of a white pudding i had in drogheda a few years ago, full of whole oats and barley.

Hmmmm - it shouldn't taste like a white pudden, BuckyTom..... But I know a lot of haggis sold in the States is the tinned variety - not so good!

See, expansion of horizons in culinary experiences is GOOOOOOD!!!

Glad you liked it! :LOL:

oh, it was very different ishbel. but there was an abundance of whole grains in it, which reminded me of a really good white pudding (pudden?, just curious, is that slang or is that the proper spelling?) i had at a friend's house. i think it was homemade.
the white pudding here is pretty bad. i would have to drive up to mcclean ave in the bronx or out to sunnyside queens (2 very irish neighborhoods in nyc) just to get pretty bland imported stuff.

In Scotland we call the 'white puddens' (pronounced to rhyme with sudden!!) or mealy pudding. (from oatmeal, I presume)

Robert Burns' in his Address to the Haggis, refers to the haggis as 'Great Chieftain o the pudden race'.... :LOL:

The best white puddings in Scotland seem to be made near Aberdeen (don't ask me why - but friends assure me it's true!) - personally, I like the ones made by my local butcher 8)

Both white pudding and haggis use oats.

Hi Ishbel, as far as I can figure, I have to agree that brawn is the same thing we call head cheese if you live in the North, and souse if you don't.

One half of us loves the stuff.

But regarding haggis, Robert Burns was right. Unfortunately we can only get the tinned, which I cannot find, or the frozen stuff in the states. And the frozen stuff, or any human food in this country, cannot contain lung, and so they add far too much liver to compensate.

Not very tasty.

Have been to Scotland a number of times, and part of the reason we go, in addition to meeting the fine people, is the haggis.

Went with my FIL, and with a wee dram he tried the stuff in a pub and then asked to return for more the next day.

Those who make fun of haggis have never tried it.

Back
Top Bottom