Help! Searing Steaks in Stainless Steel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know that trick as well. Though like the others, I wasn't seriously burned. My burn scars come from a time when gas spilled on the right pant-leg of some blue-jeans, and flashed. Got second-degree burns on my entire right shin. That hurt beyond any pain I'd ever felt before or since.

And then there's the time I grabbed a hot glue-gun by the barrel, thinking it had been turned off and allowed to cool. Got a blister that ran diagonally accros the length of my palm.

And don't forget about...

I know what you felt. And it hurts. My sympathy goes out to you. But it will heal. And you've learned a good lesson.

I taught each of my children that lesson through association when they were very young (just learning to walk stage). I took their little hands in mine and placed them near enough hot charcoal for it to be extremely uncomfortable, but not cause harm. I then said hot and pulled them away from the grill. None of them ever went too close to, or touched anything we call hot, until they were old enough to do it safely. And none of them ever had to go through the pain of a serious burn.

Of course we only told them something was hot if it truly met the description. We figured that if you cheat, or mislabel something, then they would not know whether to believe us or not. Truth is a good thing.:)

'Leg, maybe we cluld do that you, put your hand uncomfortably close to a hot pan handle and say hot a couple times. Ya think it would work:ROFLMAO:? Just kidding. I know your hand hurts. Hope the pain soon goes away.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sorry to hear of your kitchen wars wound... I've been there, done that... you won't do it twice...

thanks for letting us hear about the steak... man you must have eaten before going to ER... that's dedication!

Yeah..i was not going to let those steaks go to waste. i wolfed them down and tried to tough it out.

thanks for all of your support, indeed i did learn something

every chef has burned, cut, gouged, etc him/herself at some point. It is a risk, but it teaches us to be better prepared, think through the mise en place, focus, etc. It is a growth opportunity...you will again put a handled pan in a hot oven.

Seriously...I love the OveGlove because it is something I wear when sauteing, and quick oven finnishing. I can't forget it as I'm wearing it.

What towels, oven mits, potholders, aprons, etc. is just as much a part of the mise en place as how many onions to slice.

heal up and keep cooking!

Back
Top Bottom