Hot Dog Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mugsy27

Sous Chef
Mods...if this isnt in the right forum, please move. I didnt see a hoof, toe-nail, and who-knows-what section! :ROFLMAO:

anyway...its freezing cold here and snowy, so im not going to the store for real food. the only thing i have in the house is some nathans-skinless beef (so they claim) hotdogs.

i have always cooked hotdogs on the grill, no other way. i dont wanna go outside, so im stuck with either microwaving them or boiling them.

as i said, i have not done either method. which is better, and how do i do it!!

also, i have a 6 month old jar of dill-relish (been kept in the fridge)...is that still good?

TIA!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh Mugsy... please don't let me think about any graphic details as I do occasionally enjoy hotdogs, too!!:mrgreen:

Anyway I usually broil our dogs in the oven, or split in half and pan fry it. They are much tastier this way than boiling or nuking!

You can also use a toaster oven if you have one.
And yes, the relish should be fine as long as it's been refrigerated.

Well, it's probably too late now, mugsy, but for the record, the way I was brought up, on EVERY Saturday, we boiled a saucepan of water, then turned it off, and dropped the dogs in. Cover and let them sit for 10 minutes. I rarely have them any other way.

Now, you really should have good dogs, ones with natural casings that will provide a snap. But it will work with any dogs. Top with yellow mustard, chopped onions, and relish (optional).

Of course, this was in the day before microwaves, so you can get the same effect by nuking. :)

Lee

Having enjoyed hot dogs for as long as I can remember, here are a few good ways to eat them.

Place lengthwise on a skewer and roast them over the flame on your stove-top.

Place in a pot of pork and beans and heat both until the beans sauce is gently boiling.

(This is a kid kinda thing:mrgreen:.) Eat cold by using your teeth to strip away the "skin" on skinless hot dogs and slowly munch away from end to end, trying to make the hot dog as skinny as humanly possible while watching TV.

Encapsulate in fresh bread dough, let rise, and bake in oven until the dough is cooked.

Slice and put in Cheese Macaroni

Boil (just until they start to swell with the heat) and eat with ketchup, horseradish, pickle relish, and diced onions.

Microwave until hot (anout 40 seconds) and place on bun. Cover with chili, melted cheese (cheddar is preffered) and diced onions.

Split and pan fry. Place on bread with yellow mustard, mayo, ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and a slice of American cheese. Cover with second bread slice and enjoy.

Wrap in raw bacon, secured to the hot dog with toothpicks, and bake in oven until the bacon is done.

Slice and cook with scrambled eggs, tomato, and cheese.

There are a thousand ways to cook hot dogs. My favorite is a tie between cooking with the beans, and skewering over the gas flame, though I sometimes revert to my adolescent years and peel the skin with my teeth.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

With the exception of the scrambled eggs version, I would agree with ya goodweed. Might I add, using a casserole dish, combine sliced hot dogs, pineapple from a can, and canned baked beans, its yummy and cheap.

When my DD was little I would cut slits in them crosswise, about 1/4" wide and about 3/4 of the way through. Grill them on the side opposite where you have not cut. Next do the uncut side. Then grill each of the other sides. The hot dog should curl as it "swells" with the uncut side being the inside of the curl. For years this was the only way she would eat a hot dog.

My kids used to like them split almost to the skin (sorta butterfly), spread with a little mustard, cover with mashed potatoes, then sprinkle copious amount of shredded cheese and bake until the hot dogs start to curl a bit. They are delicious and are a bit more healthy than some ways.

I like hot dogs any way you fix them, but we usually boil ours until they "plump" a bit.
One method that hasn't been mentioned is cooking them with sauerkraut. Just heat them in the nuke or a saucepan with the kraut.I like to toast the buns, then put mustard on one side and shredded mozzerella or other cheese on the other, top with hot kraut and hot dog. Sometimes I add a little sweet pickle relish also. Yum!
Another thing I love on them is the picallili our church makes. It has cabbage, green tomatoes, peppers, onions, and spices in it, and is so good on hot dogs!

They're also a good as Hot Dog Fondue. Mix a small jar of mustard with a small jar of currant (or grape, or apple) jelly in a saucepan and heat, stirring, until all is smooth and blended. Then add diagonally sliced hot dogs and let simmer. I usually put them in a crockpot.

Constance, your recipe reminded me of a way a friend of mine used to do hot dogs (and I've done them myself after she told me). She would put the hot dogs cut up in pieces about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long - add a jar of semi hot peppers. Heat them in a crockpot or saucepan. They are good warm or cold, but the longer they stay in the pepper mixture the hotter they get. Quite a surprise.

The ONLY times I eat hot dogs is girls "wine and junk food night". Ya know, when all the women get together and nag about men. :ROFLMAO: We had hot dogs one night cause a friend of mine that can't cook worth a hoot brought them over for dinner, and it became tradition.

anyhooo.... I cook them on a grill pan on high heat for a few minutes. I will have to share a few ideas with them from here, especially mugsy's so I can stop the madness and move onto a few of my more preferred foods that are much more nicely paired with wine. :LOL:

T'aint nothing like a hot dog on the grill. Slobber 'em up with mustard, ketchup (or is it catsup?), and onions (diced raw).

My normal way if the grill is unavailable is boiling until the "explode" providing more places to put mustard & ketchup!

Well, PeppA and her family are of the boil persuasion. Personally, I'm a flame-broiled person. I prefer mine with a little sweet relish, or topped with Wolf Brand and some grated cheddar.

eviserate em quickly cleanly and withoutn any pain to the poor puppy then grill em up on the bumpy grillpan on the stove top...or broil till toasty in the oven. with beans or chili in a toasted roll with mustard n onions...yum

I most often use the microwave to steam my dogs. DD likes them blackened all over on the grill.

if you are topping them with just relish, the ONLY way to eat hot dogs, besides the boiled ones at jankee stadium, is deep fried until the skin tears. they are called rippers, both for what happens to the skin, and to your butt afterwards.
the best rippers in the world can be found here: http://www.hollyeats.com/RuttHut.htm

Pan fried, split down the middle, put on a piece of toasted wheat bread, then topped with swiss cheese. Melt that in the toaster oven. Ad Mayo only and the other piece of bread. Mustard works too fo course. But I never mix it up. Too sloppy for me that way.

Just thought I'd throw in one more.

I was just at Penn Station in NYC and I asked for onions. I got this concoction of chopped onions in this tomatoey relish mix. Yuk. But I guess people like it that way.....? Hard to eat when you are standing around waiting for a train.

-jd
www.rwicooking.com

If you have plenty of time to kill (and toothpicks), here's a retro look at Frankfurter Crown Surprise.:LOL:

crown-frank.jpg

Back
Top Bottom