Hot dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I saw a commercial on TV for a Nathan's hot dog cooker that you put on a burner (I think, since I didn't see the whole commercial). I has a bottom peice to catch drips and the top looked like the metal roller thing that places like convience stores have to cook hot dogs on. Has anyone seen it or have one?

Here's a link to the Nathan's Grill for you Devine. Nothing special - it's just a nonstick two burner reversable grill/griddle.

If you saw one on TV that is like the rolling dog cooker at the 7-11 store, you might be talking about the Hot Dog Express.

I'm with Goodweed on the Beenie Weenies thing - you've got to use Van Camp's Pork & Beans. Mom would sometimes chop up a slice or two of bacon and fry it before she added the sliced dogs to "saute" before she added the beans. Sometime she added grated onion, too. Sometimes she would add a little maple syrup and a dollop of mustard for a different flavor. But the beans were ALWAYS Van Camp.

The most memorable hot dog I ever had was when I was 4-yo at the State Fair of Texas, October 1952. It was in the "Hall of Tomorrow" exhibit ... cooked in a Radar Range that was about 3x3 ft square and about 6ft tall. It was a bare dog on a naked bun. To this day - a "nuked" dog is still comfort food to me.

I've had dogs boiled, roasted, grilled, nuked - split down the middle and stuffed with cheddar and wrapped with bacon and baked - and the selection of condiments is endless. I guess the only dogs I ever had that I didn't enjoy for the experience for the way they were had to be the chicken/turkey/soy bean/tofu "things".

Thanks for the links Michael, neither one is what I saw. It was used on the stovetop but had the rollers. Maybe it wasn't called Nathan's grill. I guess I need to pay more attention to the tube. LOL

:) I like mine with mustard,onions and dill relish if its a real sausage ( polish and so on) sourkraut,mustard and swiss cheese.

Question is! Who makes makes the best store bought hotdogs I used to love them but find they dont taste as good as I remember so Im in a dilemma.The last ones I tried was Qscar Meyer Premiums they were good but I dont know if its my mood or the brand that makes a hotdog taste good to me.Ive tried Nathans,Kosher brands and so on and can not make up my mind.I really believe you need a good dog to make a good hot dog.
What is your favorite?

Here's all the ways I like mine:

Spicy brown mustard (sometimes called Brat Mustard) with sauerkraut - and sometimes relish too. The kraut has to be cold though.

Hot dog chili, mustard, mayo-based chopped coleslaw, and chopped raw onions

Wrap a piece of bacon around the hotdog and grill - serve your favorite way.

Wrapped in a crescent roll (the kind that comes in the tube you pop open) and wrap one triangle around 1 hotdog starting at the widest end ending with the point. Bake in oven on a stone according to crescent roll directions. If you don't have a stone just a cookie sheet is ok but make sure it is a light-colored sheet.

jpmcgrew said:
I really believe you need a good dog to make a good hot dog. What is your favorite?

I agree 100%. If it's not a good dog, fuhgetaboutit.

Nathan's & Oscar Meyer are pretty good. But, for some reason, the hot dogs that always tasted the best were from Nathan's in Coney Island New York. And, you had to have the big fat wedge fries smothered in ketchup. There was a Nathan's in California, but imo - It just didn't cut the mustard. If you find a little rolling hot dog stand that says Sabrettes (sp?), those are very good.

MAYO - EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKK!
KETCHUP - ??? - Brooklyn, New York might be offended.

Pass me that yellow neon mustard, onions (cheese, sauerkraut, & relish on occasion).

P.S. I don't like a big crunch when I bite into the dog.

Almost forgot. If you're in California, Pink's are very good.

Last edited:
moved to Beef, Pork, and Lamb
LOL, I couldn't help but chuckle here kitchenelf, I think that your statement pretty much fits the bill when it comes to determining the contents of some types of hot dog weiners (and other processed meats) :ROFLMAO: :pig: :LOL:

IC, you read my mind. I was thinking, read the ingredients on the label. It might fall under miscellaneous. :LOL:

The best hotdogs I've ever eaten come from a little German butcher shop up the road in Albiers, Il. When it comes to the mass produced kind, I like Oscar Meyer best, but HB prefers Ball Park Franks.
I eat mine with mustard, kraut, and relish...if I'm feeling fancy, I toast the bun and melt a little cheese into the kraut.
Once in a while, I also like a chili dog (no beans) with shredded cheddar.
And I LOVE LOVE LOVE a good state fair corn dog. All I need for that is a dollap of mustard.
Sometimes I open a can of Cambell's Bean with Bacon soup to go with our dogs...they taste great together.

When I get the 'good' hot dogs made by a local company

I don't put anything on them. Just grill or pan fry until split

and lightly charred. When I have a 'regular' hot dog like a

nationl brand then I add any of the following. sauerkraut,

mustard, sweet pickle relish, chili, onions or bacon and

cheddar cheese.

Sloppy Joe sauce, hot chow chow, relish, onions, cheese, BBQ sauce if it is spicy, not smokey, mustard, only if it Dijon from Dijon.

Real good "wursts" for hot dogs are made in Germany, it is NOT the sausage sausage, it is pretty much the hotdog wiener but carry a smokey, intense flavour and the texture is firmer, not spongy... and of course they go wonderfully with sauerkrauts and bavarian mustards...

In the past, I've bought cheese-filled hot dogs at the market that were pretty good. I might give them a try again. There could be other "flavors" available.

i like my hotdogs with chopped tomato, raw onion, and chopped pickle... i think thats called "chicago style" mustard, no ketchup.

This is really great on hotdogs, and you really don't need to add anything else. Especially if you like mustard, kraut, etc on your hotdogs.

chowgrp.jpg

Icelandic hot dogs

Icelandic hot dog sausages taste different from any other hot dog sausage I've tried.

When I make hot dogs at home, I like to use ketchup, remoulade and crisp french fried onions, and I prefer to grill the sausage. When I eat at Bæjarins Bestu (Reykjavík's most famous hot dog stand) I order one with "everything": ketchup, brown mustard, remoulade, french fried onions and chopped raw onions. Legend has it that they cook their sausages in lager or beef broth (or a mixture of both) to make them taste extra good.

Other hot dog vendors also offer chili sauce, garlic sauce, salsa, cocktail sauce (a concoction made with mayonnaise, sour cream and tomato sauce), and pickled red cabbage. Some also offer hot dogs with french fries nestling in the bun with the sausage and topped with cheese.

Back
Top Bottom