Hot dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paolita

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!!!

As some of you know I am an Italian living in Belgium. I have met the boy of my life and we are getting married next summer. Eventhough I am Italian, I was born and grew in Colombia. I went to an American school and my parents took us on holiday to the United States at least once a year. It turns out I am half of everything now... and I sometimes feel a little American too. My parents now live in Florida, so each time I go "home", I end up in Florida, not complaining, though.

So, my half american life reflects many times in the way I cook and the way I like to eat stuff. One day I suggested to my boyfriend we do hot dogs just as in America... Here they like to put fat german sausages into bagettes and call that a hot dog. Its good but it just does not feel like a real America hot dog.

So anyways, we bought normal wieners and normal hot dog bread and started out with my favorite: ketchup and mustard. Later on we added mayo and fried onions. Now, we organize a hotdog dinner at least once a month and invite friends.... and it seems to have become a tradition. Adrien's friends love to come to my home and eat hot dogs in front of a soccer game. We put out the sauces (ketchup, mustard, mayo, bbq), fried onions, cheese, and crushed chips (the frito lay kind).

When Adrien discovered I had joined DC, he told me (perhaps he was joking) to post a thread asking people how they eat their hotdogs.... and so here goes my question:

When you guys make it a hot dog nigh, waht do you put in your hot dogs?

Thanks for the advice!

Paolita

Paolita:

You'll get a lot of different answers to this question!

I like hot dogs with mustard and sauerkraut. Sometimes with mustard and sweet pickle relish.

Chili dogs are popular as are corn dogs. Corn dogs are hot dogs on a stick, dipped in a corn batter and deep fried.

Hey Paolita sei davvero italiana!!? non lo sapevo ke ficoooo!! :)

Well it is also nice that you are such a cosmopolitan!! I have also seen more of the world than average people, but there are still so many places I would love to be acquainted with...

Well I do like my dogs with sauerkraut(cooked with a little butter and onion) and german mustard. And personally I also prefer german style sausages to the wiener!!

We usually put everything out and each eats them differently. Cole slaw, sauerkraut, chili, mustard, catsup, onions, cheese and I'm probably forgetting something, but they are all good. We don't have a hot dog nite - we save that for a cookout.

Mine have to be cooked over a camp fire
and then smothered in Ketchup, onions and pickles (either sweet or dill)

Corn dogs are great too. Just Ketchup on those though.

I like mine with a spicy brown deli mustard like Gouldins, not the neon yellow stuff, sauerkraut, and relish. Maybe sometimes some diced onions as well. I also like chili dogs.

Deli mustard and onions - and every once in a while, chili!

An old childhood dish was to chop up the hot dogs, mix with a can of baked beans, top with ketchup and brown sugar, and bake.

Never with Catsup......almost always with hot dog chili(no beans)..mustard...lots of onions and a little bit of celery salt.

Oohhh something I truly love! I'll take mine with minced onions, sauerkraut, mustard, catsup and mayo on a toasted bun, please!

Even better give me a Corn Dog slathered with mustard!

I like spicy brown mustard and onion, DH likes mustard,relish and onion, kids like, lets see one uses mayo and onion, one, mayo,onion and sweet relish, one ketchup and butter, baby likes his with just butter:LOL: and one puts, chili,onion,relish, mayo, mustard and ketchup, cheese, and crushed fritos, his is called the garbage plate:ROFLMAO: and no his mouth does NOT fit around the hot dog:ROFLMAO: I make him use a knife and fork!!!:-p

kadesma

For me, it is chopped onions, sweet pickle relish, a little ketchup, and mustard. I moved to South Carolina 9 years ago, and when I go to a hot dog supper (usually at church) they never put relish out. They look at me like I'm weird if I even mention it! Here they put chili and cole slaw on their hot dogs. I like cole slaw as a side salad, but not on my hot dogs or hamburgers!

:) Barbar

Barbara L said:
For me, it is chopped onions, sweet pickle relish, a little ketchup, and mustard. I moved to South Carolina 9 years ago, and when I go to a hot dog supper (usually at church) they never put relish out. They look at me like I'm weird if I even mention it! Here they put chili and cole slaw on their hot dogs. I like cole slaw as a side salad, but not on my hot dogs or hamburgers!

:) Barbar

Relish is good....onions good.....chili is good....slaw..I will try that.but catsup is a crime. Ughhhhhh:mad:

I like all of the above. But for me, the absolute best way to eat hot dogs is to heat them in a pot of pork and beans, with the beans. Then cut them into chunks in my bowl and eat each chunk with a spoonful of beans.

Though I love home-made baked beans, for this particular meal, It has to be Van Camp's Pork & Beans. This was my Dad's favorite way to eat hot dogs and he taught it to me. It brings back great memories of he and I together. My second favorite way is to cook them in and open campfire, on a freshly cut and sharpened stick, with ketchup.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom