Is Dry Aged Beef better for a Standing Rib Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had both. The dry aged is... very nice, but not enough difference for me to warrant the price difference.

Good Angus beef is just plain great beef.

Here's what I found when I googled it (yes I just googled)
  • Quality dry aging makes the beef you buy not only more tender, but concentrates flavor and produces meat that is superb in taste and texture.

• Though rare in today's mass corporate produced and profit driven markets, the art of producing dry aged beef is still in demand for gourmet customers who know its unsurpassed quality.

What is the difference between wet aged beef and dry aged beef?

Wet aging or aging-in-the-bag has become the industry norm, 90% of aged beef is done this way. The beef is vacuum packed in plastic and sits at temperatures of 34-38 degrees for 7-28 days. Inside the plastic, the meat ages and becomes more tender yet there is no flavor development since there is not a concentration of flavor occurring with loss of moisture.

This method has become more popular because it is cheaper and more profitable. Dry aging is more costly due to the approximately 18% loss in shrinkage and extra trim required, time, storage, refrigerator space, and labor.

In a mass produced commercial environment where all attention is given to the profit margin, dry aging is being done only for a few discriminating customers.

Oh, my how did this thread came to life, it is an year old. Wonder how that diner ever turned out?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom