Meatloaf, Oh Meatloaf, where art thou?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mignon

Cook
I'm a guy so forgive me if I make ignorant remarks. I love meatloaf because I can make it last for several meals. I hate meatloaf that swims in fat. I use a 5x9 loaf pan with an inner perforated pan that allows the fat to drip into the outer pan. Today I poured off the fat and overfilled an 8 oz. cup which turned solid in the fridge. Words like very firm, super lean, unspectacular taste, unmemorable, etc., come to mind in describing my meat loaf. Thinking to add filler like dry bread crumbs to retain some fat and therefore some taste, I experimented with different amounts. No improvement. I'm on the horns of a dilemma! How can I make a tasty meatloaf.

Incidentally, I've used chuck and very lean ground round — the ground round was not exactly tasteful. I've checked out the Internet and found nothing but boiler plate and repetitive drivel. I'm relying on this forum's elite ladies to straighten me out.

One other thing, I'm not interested in artistic creations or exotic ingredients from Madagascar — I want to make a great BASIC meatloaf using ordinary cow meat.

Hi, mignon. Sorry you're having meatloaf challenges. I've been cooking for a long time and even have a separate section in my recipe file simply for meatloaf.

Try this. Instead of using tomato sauce/juice for some of the traditional tomato additive, use salsa. Along the same lines, use crushed up tortilla chips in place of bread crumbs. These additions should perk up your meatloaf.

Another thing I like to do is to drape several slices of uncooked smoky bacon on top of the meatloaf for more flavor. I could go on and on.

And...don't forget adding garlic, chopped onions and/or chopped green pepper, too.

What do you use for filler>? myself use oatmeal, I use chuck and bake it in a bread pan, then drain the grease off before it rests a bit. Yum

plus whatever katie said ! - lol

:) If you post your recipe it would be easier to see what you are putting in your loaf and see if you are missing something etc.

I'm relying on this forum's elite ladies to straighten me out.

Guess some of us can't help you then. :dry: So do the search yourself.
Ol-blue has posted a couple meatloaf recipes some of us are happy with. Even us non-elite and non-ladies.....

I may not be elite but what the hey? It would be easier if you posted your recipe, it is always easier to figure out why the car won't go if you can see the car.

I always use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork. And if I can find it, and the cost is not prohibitive, ground veal. And always add diced onions, or for some who just don't abide anything crunchy in their meatloafs, onion powder. (By the time the stuff cooks there really isn't much of a crunch, but we all have an in law who is so picky you wish you could just nuke a slice of day old pizza for them).

Can add finely diced green/red/yellow pepper. Add Worcestershire sauce and some hot sauce. And I love Katie's idea of salsa, gotta remember that.

Can serve with a tomato based sauce or something different. And that can be as simple as a can of a gravy (am making this as simple as possible) to which a can of sliced mushrooms is added.

Just a couple of ideas. But if you post the great folks (distaff side and not) will be glad to help.

Last edited:
I always use Tempo Meatloaf mix, because my grandmother did, and because I love it. It's just breadcrumbs and seasonings. You add an egg and a little water, mix (not TOO well - it's nice to have little balls of the mix in your meatloaf) and you have the basic recipe. I add chopped onions and garlic, and sometimes sliced mushrooms (if I want to get rid of them). My house always smells incredible when I'm making meatloaf.

Let rest for 10 minutes, and pour off the fat before slicing.

I'm not sure if Tempo is a New England-only thing or not. Where are you, Mignon?

Lee

how about using ground turkey?

not he extra lean ground breast, but the other one (90% lean, i think?).

it produces very little of that scummy fat, and it's actually tough to tell the difference from lean ground beef because of all of the extra ingredients.

Basic Easy Meatloaf

2 lbs ground chuck
¾ cup ketchup
1 tablespoon mustard
2 eggs
1 sleeve crushed saltine crackers
1 pkg. onion soup mix

Form into loaf or round and put in the middle of a prepared casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for approx. 45 minutes. Uncover and top with catsup, Bake for 15-20 more minutes. The internal temperature should be 160 degrees.

Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil, and let stand 10-15 minutes.

You can substitute BBQ sauce or spaghetti sauce for the catsup if you wish.

Last edited:
While addressing Auntdot's remarks, three other contributors to my education emerged, meanwhile I wish to explain what I did to earn such minimal results.

My recipe was as thus: 1.5 lbs. chuck, 1 egg, I c. chopped onion, 1/2 c. diced bell pepper, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 c. chopped flat parsley, 1 slice of torn up white bread, 1/2 c. tomato sauce, S&P to taste.

I sautéed the onions, garlic, bell pepper, and parsley first. I whisked the egg, S&P, tomato sauce, and torn bread and then mixed in the contents of my covered skillet, and finally the chuck taking care not to over mix. Meanwhile my oven is coming up to 350 degrees. Then quick into the oven, and at 1 hour if the meatloaf registered 160 degrees — out it came. I let it rest 20 minutes before cutting.

Should have been a perfect meatloaf, right? Wrong, it was not perfect.

I'm not sure if Tempo is a New England-only thing or not. Where are you, Mignon?

Lee[/quote]

I'm laboring in Florida and I'm sorry to sat "Tempo" is only an excuse down here for living 1 mph.

i just had a situation with turkey meatballs that, from experience, would have come out tough and dry. so i added a good 1/4 cup of milk at a time until i reached the desired consistency. it's all in the feel.

while making adjustments, however, be careful not to over work the ground meat, be it turkey, beef, or pork. the minimum amount of mixing required to incorporate the ingredients into the extruded meat is optimal.

Did you put in any salt and pepper? Did you cover it with foil while baking?

Say, I think you have something — no one told me anything about covering with foil, maybe that's the problem. I've always left the top bare thinking a nice crust would form — never happened. Further, maybe a free form loaf is better than in a pan?

I still can't help thinking that I need something in the mix to keep the fat fat from leeching out of the meat. Maybe an extra amount of dry bread crumbs?

i just had a situation with turkey meatballs that, from experience, would have come out tough and dry. so i added a good 1/4 cup of milk at a time until i reached the desired consistency. it's all in the feel.

while making adjustments, however, be careful not to over work the ground meat, be it turkey, beef, or pork. the minimum amount of mixing required to incorporate the ingredients into the extruded meat is optimal.

I tried that, the extra liquid goes through my meat loaf like castor oil and ends up with the fat in my outer pan.

Interesting, Connie. I've never put foil on any of my meatloaves.

I don't have a pan-within-a-pan that drains the fat away from the meatloaf.

However, what I do do is to make a foil "sling" by taking a piece of foil that's as long as the pan, plus the measurement of both sides, then add about 6 inches. Fold this piece of foil in half and in half again lengthwise. Put it in the pan, end to end, which makes a nice sling. Put my meatloaf mixture in the pan and, when it's done cooking, lift the meatloaf out with the foil sling. Let rest and slice.

Best meatloaf

Mignon, despite the fact that you irritated some of us with your remark about the "ladies," I'm going to forgive you and give you my top secret very very best meatloaf I've ever eaten recipe. This is the result of many years of experimentation and research, and it is moist, flavorful and makes great sandwiches as well. First of all, don't cook it in a loaf pan - cook it free form to allow it to brown all over...

MY FAVORITE MEATLOAF RECIPE

Start out by sautéing a medium onion, chopped, with two minced cloves of garlic in a few teaspoons of olive oil. Cook it until it is a little translucent and add it to the following::

1.5 lbs ground chuck
1.5 lbs ground pork
2 eggs
2/3 cup quick oatmeal
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Pinch of thyme
½ cup evaporated milk
A shake or two of hot pepper sauce

Mix all of this together well, and with wet hands, form it into a loaf in a baking dish. Brush it with half of this glaze, that you have cooked for a few minutes in a small saucepan on the stove:

4 TBS brown sugar
½ cup ketchup
4 tsp. cider vinegar

OK, now drape the top (tuck under the sides) with 7-8 slices of bacon

Cook at 350F for about an hour and a half. Serve with the rest of the glaze………you can always add your own touches (chopped peppers, carrots, etc.). but to my way of thinking, this is the perfect meatloaf ). NOTE - when you make sandwiches, slice the meatloaf and fry it in a little butter. Then use fresh bread and mayo - heaven!

Last edited:
could you use turkey bacon, karen?

lol, just kidding. that looks fantastic! thanks. copying, printing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom