Spam, cabbage & potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone still eat those pressed scraps known as canned ham, that came in that gelatinous goo? Bad memories from childhood keep haunting me.:ermm:

I grew up with this, favorite camping one was all the same but with canned corn beef.
it was also a way to use left over ham. Had it with kielbasa to. A simple didh that packs a lot of flavor

Does anyone still eat those pressed scraps known as canned ham, that came in that gelatinous goo? Bad memories from childhood keep haunting me.:ermm:
Obviously people do, Craig. You've made your view clear. You don't have to remind us every day that you don't like it.

Obviously people do, Craig. You've made your view clear. You don't have to remind us every day that you don't like it.

Ah, the post police returns.:mad: Didn't think canned ham was the same product as Spam, which is exactly what your post is!:rolleyes:

I used to take Spam sandwiches to work for lunches many years ago. Haven't eaten it for a long time now. Just don't think of it when I'm after sandwich meats.

I don't have any issue with it except that it seems a bit pricey for a 12 oz can.

Sorry, misread it. You just look petty constantly shitting on foods that people enjoy.

We know you like to correct people to verify your selfworth , even when you're wrong or misread.:rolleyes: What goes around.........

Did you cook it first? I wouldn't eat it without cooking it. It's much better when you pan-fry it and give it a crispy crust.

Right!
Not sure if that comes through on this photo, but I always get a really good crust goin' on when ever I use Spam in any recipe :yum:
Just didn't care for the texture on the Teri-Spam for some reason :wacko:

When we go back home next year; the first thing I'm looking for in the market is Portuguese Sausage Flavored Spam.
IMG_2284.jpg
Hormel released this new flavor in Hawaii first to see how it would fly... yeah, right off the shelves!
IMG_2278.jpg
When we were back in 2015 when they introduced it (at the annual Spam Jam in Waikiki, I tried the Spam Cupcake, good actually); not one store could keep it in stock! Each store only got one case a day, folks were grabbing them up, the whole case, and selling them on Ebay for ridiculous amounts of money, and people were buying it!

Right!
Not sure if that comes through on this photo, but I always get a really good crust goin' on when ever I use Spam in any recipe :yum:
Just didn't care for the texture on the Teri-Spam for some reason :wacko:

When we go back home next year; the first thing I'm looking for in the market is Portuguese Sausage Flavored Spam.
View attachment 27284
Hormel released this new flavor in Hawaii first to see how it would fly... yeah, right off the shelves!
View attachment 27285
When we were back in 2015 when they introduced it (at the annual Spam Jam in Waikiki, I tried the Spam Cupcake, good actually); not one store could keep it in stock! Each store only got one case a day, folks were grabbing them up, the whole case, and selling them on Ebay for ridiculous amounts of money, and people were buying it!
Jeez, I wish I could go to Hawaii. Spam Jam sounds like a great time, in addition to the other fabulous places to go and things to see.

Jeez, I wish I could go to Hawaii. Spam Jam sounds like a great time, in addition to the other fabulous places to go and things to see.

LET'S GO! I can be your tour guide :LOL:

Spam Jam was like a big Block Party, where they close off a main street in Waikiki and have bands, food ... loads of fun. Top Chefs compete using Spam, of course ... this last time back home, Hormel was test marketing Spam Snacks,
Hormel sacks SPAM snacks | Food Business News
I got like TEN bags and hoarded them for later in the "Middle of the desert", I thought they were pretty good, but I guess they just didn't fly outside of Hawaii, HOA!!! :ROFLMAO:

I will find this... Walmart is supposed to carry it @ some locations...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrAZBCWbvvE

Ross

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Oh braddah Ross!!
This was all the buzz back in May of 2015, forsure!! We spend a month back home and it just happened that we got to try it ... but as to trying to find it since, well, like the guy said, ONLY IN HAWAII!! ;)
I think you might be able to get it on Walmart.com though, I can't, our closest one doesn't have it, but my Mother does in Cali :D

:ermm:Spam can't be any worse than potted meat, right? I used to LOVE that stuff and I don't even want to know what's in it! We ate potted meat WITH mayo on the whitest of white breads, think wonder bread. I'd eat it now if I didn't know how full of sodium and fat it is!

Some history of Spam. - Sp stands for the Spices used in making the meat, and AM is the last part of the word Ham. Thus SPAM. It was developed to feed the servicemen during WWII. And it helped get England and Hawaii through the war. Today, Hawaii is still in love with it and they buy more of it than any other state. They have recipe books for Spam. I had a girlfriend that made criss cross marks on the whole block of Spam. She then placed a small piece of pineapple with a clove on each cut diamond. Her husband loved it and she would make it for him often. Served with a baked sweet potato, salad, a green veggie and dessert, and they had a very elegant dinner.

There are presently 13 varieties of this wonderful meat. Including a Low Sodium one. The meat is from the ham of the pig. And some of it comes from the smoked shoulder.

I love it fried, mixed up with mayo, relish olives and anything else I can find in my fridge.

Looks like you can get all the flavors from Amazon.

I dropped my Prime membership when I hooked up with Overdrive for books... I just don't purchase enough online...

K-Girl... Closest Walmart doesn't have it but, one a bit further away does... I'll buy it when we go that way...

Ross

I dropped my Prime membership when I hooked up with Overdrive for books... I just don't purchase enough online...

K-Girl... Closest Walmart doesn't have it but, one a bit further away does... I'll buy it when we go that way...

Ross

I don't have a Prime account either, but I still buy often from Amazon. Most of the time I can get all or part of my order with free shipping just by being willing to take the slowest route. The 5-7 days shipping option when offered for a product is free ground transport.

Back
Top Bottom