To salt or not to salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LMJ, am not supporting Mrs. Dash, but it does not have salt.

The idea is that it provides a mixture of herbs that can replace salt.

Salt

I usually do not use salt at all except on fried eggs and french fries. I use a lot of herbs from my garden. Sometimes if I just want a plan grilled steak I will add seasalt and fresh ground pepper just before grilling.

:mrgreen: :LOL: GO DUCKS

Salt

I usually do not use salt at all except on fried eggs and french fries. I use a lot of herbs from my garden. Sometimes if I just want a plan grilled steak I will add seasalt and fresh ground pepper just before grilling.

:mrgreen: :LOL: GO DUCKS

I do not add table salt. It has to be kosher salt for meats and veggies and sea salt for seafood. I only use table salt for baking.

I'm with bangbang and others. I salt and pepper before grilling and as GB says, I sometimes have to salt and pepper again.

I believe you need to season before you cook. The flavor is different. Not as sharp when compared to salting after.

If a steak is particularly nice, I prepare it kosher style. In other words, I smother both sides with kosher salt and let it drain for an hour at room temperature, then I wash the excess salt off and grill. Amazingly, it's not too salty unless you try this with a thin piece of meat. I only do this with 2" or better steaks.

Every time I salt meat before cooking it tastes too salty when done. Either I like the taste of "plain" meat better, or I'm Doing It Wrong, again.
Honest, I'm not throwing tablespoons of the stuff on the goods!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom