Unusual meatballs? ISO unique recipes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t like meatballs much, as they exist in American cuisine. I did a search on google for “meatball recipes for people who don’t like meatballs” and all I came up with were recipes for Swedish meatballs and “what you’re doing wrong” articles.

Anyone out there have a secret recipe, or even a secret ingredient that would boost the flavor and “wow” factor of the humble meatball? Is using a blend of meats the answer? Adding fat? Veggies?

Or should I just throw up my hands and say “ya know what, Joel? You just don’t LIKE meatballs. Dont try to reinvent them. Just DONT MAKE THEM!”

Joel , I re-read your OP and I have a question for you:
What is it about MeatBalls that you don't like?
Is it the texture, taste, smell, appearance?
All of our senses play a part in how we perceive food (and pretty much everything else in our world's), I'm curious what triggers your dislike. :question:

That link won’t work for me.
Well I'll be darned, you're right MsM. Normally I have no problem posting a link that works. Then again, I usually take it for a test drive by checking in "Preview". Didn't do it this time, so of course it didn't work! :LOL:

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results

OK, it worked when I just tested it. See if it works for you, too. If not, I used the "Advance Search" feature in the upper-right corner, filled in only the box for "Keyword(s)" on the upper left of the Search page, then clicked "Search Now" near the bottom of the page, searching in "All open forums". Hope this helps you.

Kofta in Swedish means cardigan or Indian meatball
so, yes that could be weird..

Well I'll be darned, you're right MsM. Normally I have no problem posting a link that works. Then again, I usually take it for a test drive by checking in "Preview". Didn't do it this time, so of course it didn't work! :LOL:

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results

OK, it worked when I just tested it. See if it works for you, too. If not, I used the "Advance Search" feature in the upper-right corner, filled in only the box for "Keyword(s)" on the upper left of the Search page, then clicked "Search Now" near the bottom of the page, searching in "All open forums". Hope this helps you.

Works for me! Thanks, CG. Meatballs....yum. There are sooo many good ideas there. Since I'm cooking for one, I usually make up a boatload of meatballs a couple times a year with simple seasoning and freeze them in small batches, so that I can pull some out and re-season them depending upon how I want to use them.

I also do what GG mentioned, and use a "panade" (I never knew it had a name :)) but basically bread soaked in milk to help make them nice and tender.

Hmm, I've had kofte many many times from places that range from street carts, to restaurants, to past (Turkish)and present (Lebanese) neighbor's houses, and they were never ball shaped. Oblong, or meatloaf-y, or patty shaped, or on kebabs, but never round like a meatball.

But a google search has proved that incorrect. So much for personal experience. :)

Well it is a ball of meat, it not a oblong of meat and calling something meat oblong sounds weird.

Usually oblong shapes are from having been on a skewer, but sometimes it's intentional such as with Salisbury steaks.
My mother used to make a Norwegian dish of oblong beef with onions, peppers, and chunks of bread in it that was called something like check-kage. So oblong might be otherwise called kage, kake, or cake.

I love all kinds of meatballs. I used to make spinach with feta meatballs served with the same sauce for stuffed grapeleaves, no meat. Swedish meatballs are the go to round here. If I had to say, I find them softer than standard Italian style meatballs. We always use 1/2 and 1/2 in Swedish meatballs. That's how grandma made them. I also like to make "Juicy Lucy" meatballs with the meat wrapped around cheese and fried onions or bleu and sauted mushrooms. Teriyaki meatballs, love meatballs. I offered meatballs as a choice tonight. The Elders opted for burgers, so burger night it is.

Well it is a ball of meat, it not a oblong of meat and calling something meat oblong sounds weird.

Usually oblong shapes are from having been on a skewer, but sometimes it's intentional such as with Salisbury steaks.
My mother used to make a Norwegian dish of oblong beef with onions, peppers, and chunks of bread in it that was called something like check-kage. So oblong might be otherwise called kage, kake, or cake.

Regardless of the shape or name, the recipe you use for a kofta or a meatball is close or the same. They give you more meat and seasoning ideas.

Regardless of the shape or name, the recipe you use for a kofta or a meatball is close or the same. They give you more meat and seasoning ideas.

Yes, agreed. They also usually help extend the meat to feed more people.

Kjøttkaker, is the norwegian meatballs and means Meat biscuits / cookies...

Thanks, I'll ask my mom about that tomorrow.

But she and my Norskie aunts and uncles specifically called it check-kah-guh, the proper pronunciaton of kaker obliterated by their Brooklyn accents (ask Italian-Americans about that). I think the check part might be some sort of reference to the Czech Republic in some way. It's an old family recipe.

I always thought that kofta was a vegetarian dumpling. Probably because the few Indian restaurants I’ve visited always serve malai kofta with, I think, a potato dumpling.

Yes, agreed. They also usually help extend the meat to feed more people.

Thanks, I'll ask my mom about that tomorrow.

But she and my Norskie aunts and uncles specifically called it check-kah-guh, the proper pronunciaton of kaker obliterated by their Brooklyn accents (ask Italian-Americans about that). I think the check part might be some sort of reference to the Czech Republic in some way. It's an old family recipe.
Click the icon of a loudspeaker in this link to hear how kjøttkaker is pronounced. It's probably close to what you remember.
https://translate.google.ca/#no/en/kjøttkaker

I always thought that kofta was a vegetarian dumpling. Probably because the few Indian restaurants I’ve visited always serve malai kofta with, I think, a potato dumpling.

I've had Kofta at an Indian restaurant as well.
We got it actually as a result of a mistake by the waiter ( we ordered something else, and they brought us a kofta). They told us it was on the house, and brought us the correct dish in addition. That was one of the best mistakes a waiter ever made on us. We love koftas now and order it frequently. The vegetarian version is usually made with potatoes, paneer along with other veggies (depending on the restaurant).

Fast forward a few years, I was in an Indian grocery store, and saw prepared koftas in the refrigerated section. I was excited, brought it home, heated it up and took a bite, just to find out it wasn't a vegetarian version ( I think it was lamb). Anyway, being a vegetarian, I did not eat them, and fed them to my dog ( at the time). I dont think she liked them much, maybe too spicy, so i left them out for the raccoons.

My grandmother used to make a greek styled meatball in a tomato/ white wine sauce. They were more sausage shaped than ball shaped, but I do remember they were really good ( Back in the day when I ate meat).

And for anyone in the Boston area willing to try a vegetarian meatball, a place called "Clover food lab", in the financial district ( not sure if they have other locations), makes vegetarian meatballs out of Impossible burger, and they were among one of the best meatballs ( meat or vegetarian) I have ever had. Above and beyond typical vegetarian substitutes. Disclaimer would be I only had them once, so it is possible they were just having a good day, but assuming they are consistent, I cant wait til I go back next year to have another bite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom