Video: Why is Red Meat ... Red?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The video didn't work (for me) but oh....a wild guess...the redness is due to blood!?

Last edited:
OK - on further inspection, it does seem to be that myoglobin is responsible for meat being red.

It will be a while though before this filters through public perception sufficiently to be taken on board though I feel. For instance, most cooks are saying to let meat rest after cooking, to stop it bleeding.....

OK - on further inspection, it does seem to be that myoglobin is responsible for meat being red.

It will be a while though before this filters through public perception sufficiently to be taken on board though I feel. For instance, most cooks are saying to let meat rest after cooking, to stop it bleeding.....

It's filtered through my perception for quite some time now. :) I would guess that most cooks know that resting meat after cooking helps redistribute the juices.
--------------------------
Thank you for posting the video, Taxy. :) It's very explanatory and helpful.

Last edited:
My only complaint with the video is that steak was medium rare... my rare steaks don't really leak any oxygen rich protein water, they don't get hot enough. :chef:

Those cooks don't know what we know. You let the meat rest so the JUICES can be reabsorbed.

Eating kosher , I know there is no blood in any meat, not only blood is drained, meat is salted and soaked to draw out whatever little blood was not drained originally, and yet, the meat is still red. So the video is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Back
Top Bottom