Weird and wonderful Meat dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went to a friend's son's 1st birthday party at a Chinese restaurant. They were raised on this stuff, I was not. The shark fin soup was okay, but then when I reached for what I thought was an egg roll, it was a fried chicken head. They said I was lucky for getting that one. (woo. woo. lucky me.) Then, I just about died when they passed the duck feet. No duck, just feet. Standing there, all arranged on the platter.

Needless to say, we went to Burger King after that meal.

I've eaten Rocky Mountain Oysters (which around here are pig testicles), Alligator, turtle, squid, Rattlesnake, raccoon, squirrel and wild rabbit.
I liked everything except the raccoon, which was awfully greasy in spite of the BBQ sauce.

Fresh water fried turtle (which was yummy), frog legs, tripe onboard a French Navy ship (was good as long as I didn't think about what I was eating), forced to eat hog brains,ewww, armadillo (tastes like pork with funny bones). Word of warning, don't go looking for armadillo as we found out later that some armadillo are carriers of leprosy. I honestly don't know if it is dangerous to humans or not, but it will never pass my lips again. Have also had mystery meat in a taco in Tijuana. Only ate one bite and it was NOT beef or pig. :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

masteraznchefjr said:
Snake probably i never tried dog lol but it was there at the buffet i went to in Asia.

Dog, at a buffet in Asia? Please say your kidding!:wacko:

I've had frogs legs, escargot, and quail:sick: Hated all of them:mrgreen:

I would have to thank my Muslim neighbors I had once for the strangest things I have ever eaten. It was on the first night of Id-al-Fitr (the Feast of Fast Breaking) following Ramadan. I was envited over to participate in the salughter of the lamb (I kept trying to tell Sam it was a Goat - but he kept saying no, not, it's a lamb) and to participate in the feast. I don't remember how many grills they had set up in the back yard - but there were a bunch. After the goat was slaughtered, bled, skinned, and butchered the meat went onto the grills - and the men sat around a grill containing the "good" stuff ... the organ meats.

I felt honored to have been invited, and didn't want to offend anyone (there were about 20 people there) - so I couldn't refuse anything offered to me. But, I'll tell you, grilled goat's eyeball and lung are not among my favorite culinary memories!

Michael you are to be commended. Afraid I would have either fainted or gotten sick at the sight of that treat.

I forgot about frog legs, escargo and quail. I love all 3!

My grandmother used to flour the quail, fry it in a little oil till brown, then add a bit of water and cover the skillet to steam. She served it with mashed potatoes, quail gravy and bisquits, and it was finger-licking good!
She also used to fry frogs legs...she always cut the little tendon in the back so they wouldn't "jump" out of the skillet. (The heat from cooking shrinks the tendon and makes the legs draw up.)

Attachments

• frog1.gif
    frog1.gif
    3 KB · Views: 123
I've eaten assorted offal (heart, liver, kidney, brains, sweetbreads, tripe, tongue etc from assorted animals) and I actually like most of them except tongue. I've even eaten haggis, which includes the lungs - can't say I was all that impressed. I don't much like Black Pudding, which is a sort of sausage made from blood, but I'll eat it to be polite.

I've eaten quail and pheasant and frog's legs and escargot.

I've eaten kangaroo (tastes and smells like rancid boiled mutton); emu (like a heavy-flavoured steak which sticks to your stomach for days!); and echidna (very ant-y) and galah (the recipe for cooking it is to put a large stone in a pot of water with the bird and simmer until the stone is tender, at which time the bird will be edible).

I've also eaten emu eggs - as an omelette equivalent to 12 eggs. Very rich and delicious.

I've eaten buffalo and wild pig and crocodile and wild duck.

I am rather partial to octopus, but prefer the baby ones. I'm not keen on crab, but like yabbies.

BUT - I draw the line at eating snakes or rabbits, or eels or sheeps' eyes! (I saw Princess Diana do this once, without so much as a flinch, and I was her slave for ever more in admiration!) Nor will I ever knowingly eat things like monkey's brains, bear's testicles (or any other kind of testicles). And I'm quite sure I couldn't choke down guinea pig, rats, beetles or cockroaches, chocolate-coated or not.

Thailand is the place to avoid if you have a weak stomach. They eat anything that walks, crawls, slithers, flies or swims.

Back
Top Bottom