Why add oil to pan before cooking fatty meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use oil because I mostly use carbon steel pans, and even if the food you are cooking is fatty, it will begin to stick before any of the fat renders. That said, I don't use a lot of fat - just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.

I'll also add that I truly believe fat has gotten a bad rap over the years, and I'm not afraid to use it when I cook. Fat = Flavor.

I use oil because I mostly use carbon steel pans, and even if the food you are cooking is fatty, it will begin to stick before any of the fat renders. That said, I don't use a lot of fat - just enough to coat the bottom of the pan.

I'll also add that I truly believe fat has gotten a bad rap over the years, and I'm not afraid to use it when I cook. Fat = Flavor.

Me too

Don't know about other people, but I don't add oil when cooking something fatty like a burger or chicken thighs for example.

I agree.

Meat will sometimes stick but it always seems to let go when it's ready to turn, just be patient and let it cook.

Don't know about other people, but I don't add oil when cooking something fatty like a burger or chicken thighs for example.

I don't add oil either. Its not needed for fatty meats.

I throw down some salt in my cast iron or carbon steel or stainless pan and add the meat.

I don't use oil for ground beef or for bacon, but otherwise I'll preheat at least little oil for even cooking until the fat in the meat starts to render. Sometimes that just means a quick spray with Pam or similar. There are few things I hate worst than trying to flip a pork chop or nice steak that's stuck to a stainless clad pan like it's glued there.

I'm still learning what I can and can't do with cast iron, but I don't really concern myself with the small about of fat that I may get from starting with a little oil. If it's a naturally fatty cut cut of meat, I'm not changing the nutritional properties in any significant manner. What fat renders out will still render, and what stays with the meat won't change.

Sometimes the answer might be "because that's how my Mom did it". ;)

Grandma's Cooking Secrets

Like the girl who shared her baked ham recipe. It said to cut the ham in half, so that’s why she always did it. When aske why, she didn’’t know so she asked her mother. Her mother didn’t know either so she went and asked her mother. Her mother said she cut it in half because her oven was too small to fit the whole ham in.

If it's all fat or nearly all as in a piece of salt pork/fat back, I start with a cool pan and let the fat render out as it heats. No extra oil needed.

A couple of years ago while grocery shopping, I was standing by a mother & daughter who were looking at fiddleheads. They had never had them and were wondering what they were like and trying to figure out how you cooked them.

Drag'n to the rescue! I said they were delicious - just with butter. To cook them be sure to rinse them really well and place in a pot of cold water, bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, drain them, add fresh water, boil again, drain them and once more, add fresh water, boil and drain. A good knob of butter and serve.

They thanked me and the mother asked as I was walking away - "Why do you boil them so many times like that?"

I hung my head and honestly, I actually blushed a little bit when I replied - "I don't know but that is how my Mother does it."

They both burst out laughing and I could still hear them chuckling when I was half-way down the aisle.

Another story in that line of thought.
When SC and I married he would cut a thin sliver off of each end of the potato before baking. He said his late wife did it that way but he never asked why and she has nobody surviving to ask.
Since then, I've always cut off the pointy potato ends and I'm convinced it actually improves the baked potato. I assume it's the moisture venting out through the ends.
Anyway, give it a try and see what you all think.

Another story in that line of thought.
When SC and I married he would cut a thin sliver off of each end of the potato before baking. He said his late wife did it that way but he never asked why and she has nobody surviving to ask.
Since then, I've always cut off the pointy potato ends and I'm convinced it actually improves the baked potato. I assume it's the moisture venting out through the ends.
Anyway, give it a try and see what you all think.
Do you do that along with, or instead of, poking holes in the potatoes with a fork?

Me three

Flavour and to help the meat not stick. Should say this Swedish ground meat isnt as fatty as American, ours are leaner so I seldom need to drain off fat.

Last time I did a test of Swedish ground beef vs Irish ground beef vs Scottish ground beef, I ended up with a 2 tablespoon fat in the Swedish one, 300 ml fat in the Irish and 100 ml fat in the Scottish.

Also I use cast iron pan and not nonstick.

Back
Top Bottom