Your Favorite Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I just got my 7 quart dutch oven yesterday so now I am thinking of things to make. The first thing I was to do is chili. I have had a craving for it and have just been waiting for this pot to arrive. What is your favorite chili recipe?

I don't have a detailed recipe to give you, but I like to add at least one can of black beans to mine. Also more cumin than you might think was necessary.

my secret is to not use ground meats , like beef and lamb, but buy small cheap steaks and slices of leg o' lamb and cut them into small, fairly even sized cubes.
also, if chilli doesn't set your mouth on fire at least a little bit, it's just a sloppy joe. doesn't even rank with loose meat sammiches.
te rest of my recipe is standard, browned onions and a ton o' garlic, several types of hot peppers diced, habichuelas roasdas y blanca y negro (spanish red, white and black beans), chilli powder, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.

buckytom said:
my secret is to not use ground meats , like beef and lamb, but buy small cheap steaks and slices of leg o' lamb and cut them into small, fairly even sized cubes.

I am so glad you said this as this is what I want to try. All the chili I have ever made has been ground beef and then a chili kit from the supermarket. This time I want to do it right and use actual chunks of meat as well as not using a kit ;)

oh, gb, i forgot you have to sacrifice a beer or glass of red wine into the chilli to appease montezuma, if you know what i mean....

LOL, bucky

I've been doing a chicken-based chili for some time now, using cream, butter, white pepper, poblanos and bell peppers, chicken stock and kidney beans. Add about 2 drops of habanero extract to a large pot, and add potatoes to soak up the "hot" of you like. Works really well.

buckytom said:
oh, gb, i forgot you have to sacrifice a beer or glass of red wine into the chilli to appease montezuma, if you know what i mean....
One for montezuma and two for me 8)

GB said:
buckytom said:
One for montezuma and two for me 8)

ok, mudbug got one, so there's 2 left for me, coool... 8)

mudbug said:
If wasabi were here she would make you sacrifice to Pele as well. Better pop another one.

And where is my icon for spitting tea???? These will have to suffice!

coffee_2SMALL.gif
coffee_2SMALL.gif
coffee_2SMALL.gif
coffee_2SMALL.gif
coffee_2SMALL.gif

Here's the one we like best: ;)

Chili Texas Style

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds chuck roast
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground chili peppers
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 large onions -- chopped
garlic to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon paprika
4 large bell pepper -- chopped
4 or 5 ea chili pods
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes with chilis
2 heaping tblsp. flour -- in a little water

Sear meat. Saute onions and bell peppers. Add tomato sauce and broth and stir thoroughly. Add rest of ingredients and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes. Thicken with flour and water mixture, Cook 30 minutes more. Shred beef when cool enough to handle.

Serve with the following bowls around the chili pot: beans, rice, green onions, cheddar cheese, and sour cream.

Yield:
"8 "

Serving Ideas : Serve with sides listed in recipe.

NOTES : Real chili--no hamburger or beans, please.

This is my boyfriend's chili recipe and he doesn't make it into the kitchen often. But when he does it's almost always awesome!! We have a pot of this on the stove right now and it smells incredible!

Hector's Chili
1/2 Tbls olive oil
2 medium yellow onions
1 lb hot sausage meat (loose ground or links w/casings removed)
1 lb lean beef stew meat - cut into bite size pieces
2 bottles (12 oz each) beer (smoked beer ROCKS!)
1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes in their juices
2-4 TLBS Chili powder
1 TBLS whole cumin seeds
1 TBLS dried oregano
1/2 tsp ginger (grated is better than ground)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 C water
1 can (15 oz) light kidney beans rinsed & drained
1 can (15 oz) dark kidney beans rinsed & drained
6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 tsp Caribbean style hot pepper sauce (or your favorite hot pepper sauce)

Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent to golden, about 10 minutes. In a separate skillet, crumble sausage and cook, stirring often, until sausage looses its pinkness, about 8 minutes, and drain off excess fat. Transfer the meat to the pot with the onions, add stew meat and turn heat to low. Add the beer (minus a swig for yourself) and the tomatoes with their juices, breaking up the tomatoes with with a knife. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, ginger, salt and allspice. Add the water and simmer, covered, for 1.5 hours. Add beans and garlic and simmer until done, about 30 minutes to one hour. Add hot sauce just before serving or put a bottle of hot sauce on the table and let people add their own. Garnish with sour cream and shredded cheese. Serve with warm cornbread.

Back
Top Bottom