Bacon ends and pieces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I thought of this last night about 3:00 AM when I couldn't go back to sleep.

I used to buy a 3 lb. box of bacon ends and pieces at Krogers for a very reasonable price. Some of the pieces were short, but meaty, and good enough to fry. Others were mostly fat, and were great for seasoning any kind of beans or greens.
I'm sure if you go to a grocer who still has a real butcher, you can buy the same thing. It should be much cheaper per lb. than regular bacon...if it isn't, don't buy it.

I buy them regularly and vacuum seal in smaller portions that I use when I make crockpot beans (often). Some will be cut down into small pieces, precooked, and stored in the freezer for recipes calling for bacon pieces. You can't beat the price.

I used to buy them Miss Connie, but haven't in years. At the time they were a good bargain as my cooking back then required a lot of seasoning meats. I remember them being very good for frying and seasoning. I may pick up a box today, break it down and freeze a few bags!

I have a box sitting in my fridge right now. I need to get it portioned and frozen.

I typically use it for making bacon bits, clam chowder, and Coq au Vin.

I check the price of regular bacon and the ends box. When the price per pound is cheaper for the ends box, I buy them. When the price per pound is cheaper for regular bacon, I buy it.

Back
Top Bottom