Budget Friendly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
It’s likely a good sign that this page is slow. But I’m always checking in on it it’s one theme that takes me back to why I came here in the first place and makes me think I’m helping others how I was helped along.

Not needing this section is great but I do like the planning and day dreaming into meal planning and how great you can make so little.

So thought I’d say hi this page hasn’t moved in awhile

beans beans beans.
dried beans are very inexpensive - just add 'something' to kick up the flavors and you can do gallons on pennies....

we just had a 5 bean dish -
100 g each of: dark kidney, navy beans, lima beans, black-eye peas, black beans
diced green pepper, diced red pepper
diced onion
80 g catsup
bay leaf
20g dark brown sugar
splash cider vinegar

beans soaked overnight, cooked down about six hours - stunning.
we're not vegetarians, so I added a chicken bratwurst to the pot for flavor as spice chunkettes.

dried beans are extremely economical - one has to soak ahead, but the flexibility of dried beans provides a lot of opportunities.

beef, pork, ham hocks, fat back, chicken - beans and a bit of flavor go a long way.

Last edited:
Cheap And Friendly Family Meals

WOW!
Where to start?
When I first saw this topic Kevin, I thought seasonal, grow your own veg and so on.
Then I thought about some of the dishes that I've made:

DSC00999.jpg

Fried Cabbage and Kielbasa

4 servings

1 Kielbasa (I used Dickey’s BBQ Smoked Sausage), sliced
2 C. Onion, chopped
2-3 C. Cabbage, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
S & P to taste

In a Dutch Oven, heat 1 tablespoon of Olive oil over medium-high; sauté the Sausage until just crisp, remove to a plate and set aside
Add the remaining Oil and sauté the Onions until just starting to brown
Next add the Cabbage, Sausage, along with the Garlic and Paprika, give it all a good stir; turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until the Cabbage is crisp-tender.
Season to taste and serve.

I like to serve this dish over wide Egg Noodles and maybe a nice piece of bread.

This is a cheap & friendly family meal! Here’s how I figure it:

Dickey’s Smoked Polish Sausage $2.98
(this could go less expensive with a different brand of Kielbasa of course!)
Cabbage, Onion, Garlic, Spices $2.17
Wide Egg Noodles $0.50
Total $5.65 divided by 4 = $1.41 per serving, WOW!! ?

Tonight or tomorrow I'll make a very budget-friendly stew that most people would call chili. I don't call it that though cuz I'm tired of fighting Texicans about whut's allowed and whut isn't.

Anyhow, lately I've been improving the nutritional profile by mixing about 1 part ground beef liver with three or four parts 80% ground beef.

Chili is one of them things that go good with cornbread. Another budget-friendly dish that I make with whole-grain corn, a little whole-wheat flour, and mix some sauteed onion and jalapenos into the batter.

I just found out that millennial foodies discovered bean juice and renamed it "Aquafaba". Supposed to be a substitute for eggs. My versions of cornbread for one or two uses half an egg. So I'm gonna substitute a couple tablespoons of real thick pinto bean juice. Eavesdropping on their conversations, they seem to be asking each other if any bean will work or just chickpeas. None of 'em answered, far as I can see, but I'll report back here.

Wait, wait!

Let me toss in a Filipino dish:

Pork and Peas.jpg

Pork Guisantes or Pork And Peas

4 servings

1 lb. Pork loin, sliced very thinly (any boneless cut of Pork will do really)
1 Sweet Red Bell Pepper, sliced into small chunks
1 C. Sweet White Onion, chopped
1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 C. Tomato Sauce
1 C. Water
1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tbsp. Fish Sauce (I left this out, didn’t have any)
1 Bay Leaf
1 C. frozen Sweet Peas
Salt & Pepper to taste
Just enough Vegetable Oil to coat the bottom of a large Sauté pan

Heat a large pan with the veggie oil over med-high heat.
Sauté the Peppers just until they’re crisp-tender, about 1-2 minutes, set aside on a dish.
Add the Onions and Garlic and sweat until they are translucent; add in the Pork and cook `til just browned, don’t overcook it.
Pour in the wet stuff: Tomato Sauce, Water, Soy Sauce and Fish Sauce -if using- along with that Bay Leaf, give it all a good stir and bring to a gentle boil; reduce the heat to a simmer–cover and cook for about 20 minutes. The meat should be fork tender and the sauce reduced.
Add back in the Peppers and now the Peas, cook for 1-2 minutes, until the Peas are heated; season with S&P to taste.
Serve over hot steamed White Rice or Brown Rice

And here's how I figure the cost:

Pork (our Walmart cost) $2.99/lb (I could surely find it cheaper on sale somewhere)
1 Sweet Red Pepper $1
1/2 of a large White Onion 27¢
1/2 package of frozen Peas 42¢ (a 12oz bag at Walmart is 84¢)
8oz can of store brand Tomato Sauce 32¢
Garlic, Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Vegetable Oil 42¢
Brown Rice 20¢
Spices 5¢

Total $5.67/4=$1.41 per serving

Wait, wait!

Let me toss in a Filipino dish:

View attachment 39432

Pork Guisantes or Pork And Peas

4 servings

1 lb. Pork loin, sliced very thinly (any boneless cut of Pork will do really)
1 Sweet Red Bell Pepper, sliced into small chunks
1 C. Sweet White Onion, chopped
1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 C. Tomato Sauce
1 C. Water
1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tbsp. Fish Sauce (I left this out, didn’t have any)
1 Bay Leaf
1 C. frozen Sweet Peas
Salt & Pepper to taste
Just enough Vegetable Oil to coat the bottom of a large Sauté pan

Heat a large pan with the veggie oil over med-high heat.
Sauté the Peppers just until they’re crisp-tender, about 1-2 minutes, set aside on a dish.
Add the Onions and Garlic and sweat until they are translucent; add in the Pork and cook `til just browned, don’t overcook it.
Pour in the wet stuff: Tomato Sauce, Water, Soy Sauce and Fish Sauce -if using- along with that Bay Leaf, give it all a good stir and bring to a gentle boil; reduce the heat to a simmer–cover and cook for about 20 minutes. The meat should be fork tender and the sauce reduced.
Add back in the Peppers and now the Peas, cook for 1-2 minutes, until the Peas are heated; season with S&P to taste.
Serve over hot steamed White Rice or Brown Rice

And here's how I figure the cost:

Pork (our Walmart cost) $2.99/lb (I could surely find it cheaper on sale somewhere)
1 Sweet Red Pepper $1
1/2 of a large White Onion 27¢
1/2 package of frozen Peas 42¢ (a 12oz bag at Walmart is 84¢)
8oz can of store brand Tomato Sauce 32¢
Garlic, Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Vegetable Oil 42¢
Brown Rice 20¢
Spices 5¢

Total $5.67/4=$1.41 per serving

I like the looks of that and as I try to keep pork loin on hand as a staple I'm always looking for ways to use it. Only thing is, for thinly sliced pork loin, I'd cook and set aside with the sweet peppers. If I was using shoulder I'd cook per instructions above.

I like the looks of that and as I try to keep pork loin on hand as a staple I'm always looking for ways to use it. Only thing is, for thinly sliced pork loin, I'd cook and set aside with the sweet peppers. If I was using shoulder I'd cook per instructions above.

True dat SL!
But that's what I had on hand from Costco.
There's so many different recipes out there for Pork and Peas, even Chicken and Peas, but I started here, with Chef Keoni as my guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=343&v=AnpfgZfjPws&feature=emb_logo

To me, he's like a Hawaii-based Chef John, HEH! Keoni is Hawaiian for John, that just now hit me!!!! :LOL:

edit-you could do this dish with any protein, I just saw a recipe using Shrimp :yum:

I just went to the freezer this morning and the roast beef is thawing out now. A nice roast dinner and a pot of soup for sure but who knows what else will come out of it this week

I just went to the freezer this morning and the roast beef is thawing out now. A nice roast dinner and a pot of soup for sure but who knows what else will come out of it this week

IMG_5481.jpg

I used the last of our Christmas Rib Roast for Stroganoff, my way.
Loads of Mushrooms, caramelized onions and brown gravy... the sour cream portion only went atop my plate and I simply mixed it in :yum: All on a bed of Wide Egg Noodles

Cheap And Friendly Meal

This dish is an extremely popular Asian Dish in Hawaii.
You can find this in any local-style joint as well
on tables in homes.
I make this often

shoyu-chicken.jpg

Shoyu Chicken

5 lbs. Bone in Skin on Chicken Thighs $5.65
5 C. Water
3 C. Soy Sauce $1.98
4-5 fresh Garlic Cloves, crushed 20¢
1-2 Tbsp. fresh Ginger, finely grated 20¢
1 bunch of Green Onions, rough chopped 50¢
½ C. Beer (optional)

Chuck everything into a large pot, excluding the Green Onions
Bring to a boil; lower the heat to a simmer
Cook uncovered for 45-60 minutes, until the Chicken is very tender.
Remove from the cooking liquor and serve with freshly chopped Green Onion and a sprinkle of Sesame seeds for a flourish if you like.

I figure that 5 pounds of Chicken should feed at least 8 people.
Without the Beer the total is $8.53 ÷ 8 = $1.066
Add some Steamed Rice at 5¢ per serving
maybe some veg from the garden to round it all out.

I should preface by saying the prices that I've given,
I base off of our nearest Walmart and use their brand,
Great Value.

Last edited:
Budget Friendly Family Meal

I adapted this recipe from Rachael Ray's first published magazine years back.

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...08/10/tuna-not-like-the-lunch-hall-casserole/

My Tuna "Not like the lunch hall" Casserole

tuna casserole.jpg

Once again, using WalmartGrocery.com as a pricing guide,
I calculate this recipe to serve 6 as follows:
Grand Total (excluding the Bread Crumbs, `cuz I save stale bread to make it)
$4.37 ÷ 6 = 73¢ per serving :ohmy:

This recipe makes a 9 x 13 inch casserole, plenty for 6 hungry folks.
It's so much so that I make in two 8 x 8 dishes and share one of them with a neighbor.

I think budget cooking is a great topic even when you don't "need" it. No sense in wasting money. As my grandma said, "waste no, want not".

High Protein Bean Salad

12 oz czn ea. with can Juices
Dark Red Kidney Beans
Chick Peas
Black Beans
Yellow Wax Beans
green Beans
1/2 cup red or orange lentils, Cooked
1 cup water
1 sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp coriander seed
1/4 tsp. ce.ery seed
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar2 tbs. mustard seed
sugar
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add sugar, stir it in and taste. Let sit for 20 minutes in the fridge, and taste again. Add more sugar, or vinegar to balance the sweet/sour flavor. Let sit overnight to allow flavors to develop. Serve cold, with salad juice Very refreshing, and tasty. All ingredients are inexpensive. Will serve 6 as a side dish.

French Canadian Pea Soup, with a Twist

Ingredients:
1 lb. dried, yellow whole peas
8 cups water
1 lb. ham hock
1 Large yellow onion large, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup carrots, grated
1 bay leafs
1 tsp. summer savory
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 stick butter.
1 cup yellow lentils
1/4 tsp. ground cumin

Place the ham hock into your pressure cooker, or slow cooker with one cup of water, and cook until fall-off-the-bone tender. Remove from the cooking vessel. pour off the juice into a sauce pan. add another cup of water, the onion, lentils, and cumin. bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until lentils are completely cooked. Pour into your blender, or use as stick blender and process until silky smooth. Add the remaining water to the same pot (large dutch oven, or soup pot). AsAdd all other ingredients, including the lentil puree, to the pot and cover Bring to a simmer. Remove the meat from the ham hock and add to the soup. Continue cooking until the peas are soft.

When the soups is done, add the butter and stir in for a richer flavor. Serve with a crusty, rustic brad. The pepper is what really sets this soup apart, along with the mild flavor of the whole, dried yellow pe You can garnish with fresh parsley if you so desire.as.

Swiss Steak, Mom's Way
2 lbs. cube staek.
1 cup AP flour
1 tbs, ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 t bs. granulated garlic
1 yellow onion, chipped
12 oz can stewed tomatoes, chopped
2 cups uncooked rice, or, 1 pkg. linguini noodles
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil

mix together the flour and spices. In a seperate bowl, whisk togetether the egg and milk to make an egg wash.

Flatten the cube steaks with a meat mallet until uniform, and thin. dredge in the flor, the in the egg wash, and again in the flour. P
lace the oil in a heavy, high sided skillet/frying pan over medium-high heat. Lace the beef into the pa when the oil is hot and cook on each side for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Add the onion, and tomato, with can juices. Cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 1 hour.

Cook the rice, or noodles. serve Swiss steak on top, with pan juices.

Grandpa's Swiss Steak

Same as above, except replace the tomato product with sliced cremini mushrooms. When all is cooked, remove to a bowl. Add 3 tbs flour, and 3 tbs. butter to the pan. stir to make a light brown rough, scraping to incorporate the fond. Add whole milk slowly, whisking it until a pan gravy is formed. Return the meat and mushrooms to the pan. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for thirty minutes more. Serve with creamy smashed spuds, and a good salad.

Stuffed Pumpkin, or Winter Squash

This will work with small pumpkins, sweet dumpling squash, acorn squash, or similar winter squashes.

1 pumpkin/squash for every two people
1 lb. 80/20 ground chuck
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
2 tsp. slat
1 tbs. black pepper
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
1 tsp. dried Marjoram
1/2 tsp dried summer savory
1 large egg

cut the top off of the squash and set aside. Remove seeds with a spoon.

Combine all other ingredients in a large, non-reactive bowl. Stuff the squash with this forcemeat, and cover with the squash tops. Place onto a foil-lined baking sheet and place into a preheated 350' F. oven. Bake to 1 hour. Test at the meat center with your meat thermometer. It's done at 165' F.

Easiest American Goulash

1 pkg. elbow macaroni
4 cups water
1 lb. ground beef
19 oc can chopped tomato
1 tsp. salt
pepper to tasted
Kraft Parmesan/Romano cheese (from the green container)

Brawn the ground beef with the salt and pepper. Boil the pasta until al dente. Combine all ingredients and stir together. Cover and let simmer for ten minutes. Serve with the cheese and buttered bread. For desert, Jell brand cook and Serve Chocolate Pudding, hot over vanilla ice cream.

This isn't as good as my goulash, but it's quick, cheap, and fills the belly.

If you have middle Eastern stores around, goat is very tasty, and not too expensive. There are so many recipes for goat and mutton.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom