Cheap butcher cuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife is Korean, when she first came to live in the US she was shocked how cheap oxtails were. About once a month we would spend the day making a big pot of oxtail soup. She would then freeze it in small portions. It's a long process but then she had soup ready to go all month.

Now with the price of tails we do this about once every six months. And its a smaller pot.

BTW this is the method that we use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL-GAV-5XpLOxQsZTlIWdtebuVFi-cHPSH&v=jAjcqrxYBzM

Yeah, I know that a whole lot of, what were cheap cuts, have become popular and are expensive / overpriced now. I don't think oxtails have been a cheap cut here since before the mid 1990s, when I first noticed them at Mourelatos.

I'm more interested in what is a cheap cut now. Surprisingly, pork loin seems to be one of the cheaper cuts now.

Tenderloins, pork loins, and pork shoulders/butts are the cuts that go on sale mostly because that is mostly all the pork they sell. Of course, there are hams (back legs), bellies (bacon), and ribs (extensions of the loin). I'm not mentioning hocks, jowls, or tails because so few people in general and even DC members, in particular, take any interest in them.

This is where ethnic markets come in so handy. When the suppliers of the "Krogers" see an increased demand in a previously low volume product, their response is to raise price. But in an ethnic market resistance to price increase is much higher.

I haven't articulated this very well but enough will get it to understand.

Bottom line: Support your local community by shopping your locally owned neighborhood market regardless of ethnicity.

Well, most of the ethnic stores around here aren't delivering. Until the pandemic has calmed down some, I don't see me getting my car working again so I even could go to the store to shop. In the mean time, I'm ordering almost exclusively from locally owned places. One of them even sources just about everything locally, for some values of local.

Well, most of the ethnic stores around here aren't delivering. Until the pandemic has calmed down some, I don't see me getting my car working again so I even could go to the store to shop. In the mean time, I'm ordering almost exclusively from locally owned places. One of them even sources just about everything locally, for some values of local.

It is a one-mile one-way walk to the Mediterranean Market. I planned to go tomorrow because of taxlady's prompt but it seems they may no longer be open.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a one-mile one-way walk to the Mediterranean Market. I planned to go tomorrow because of taxlady's prompt but it seems they may no longer be open.

Sorry for quoting myself but after calling Mediterranean Grocery, I am assured they have not gone out of business and I will happily call on them tomorrow.
:yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom