dumplings and noodles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
It used to be that I could get pasta for $.50 a lb, when I'd find it on sale (3 years ago)......now it's $1.00 a lb on sale.(yesterday)
Flour on sale is $1.39 for 5 lbs.

Seems to me it is more work but less money to make your own dumplings and noodles. (For instance, stuffed chinese dumplings yesterday were made fairly easily--and it's really pasta with stuffing and I used 2 cups of flour and it fed 3 people...well the teenager counts for 2, so 4 people.)

When I make chicken soup (in a huge nesco roaster) I put in spaetzle, fresh made, and then freeze it in serving size containers, and it turns out nice.

What's your take on pastas and dumplings and what do you do?
What would be a good project to make some on the week-ends to enjoy during the week--freeze them, dehydrate them...how would you do it?

TIA ~Bliss

When I make fresh pasta it is for tonight. Once I "store it" it is no longer fresh pasta.
I buy dried pasta when there are bulk sales or at the bulk stores. I buy only brands made with durham semolina ... barrilla, anna, creamettes are some of the best. I also really like Gia Russa, an Italian whole wheat pasta...so good.

If you are going for cost alone, and have the time and ability, yes making your own can be cheaper, and if you make good pasta, good eats too!

.....then it's labor intensive, & you would more often than not want a pasta machine, & that's $$, & you need room to dry it.....

.....then it's labor intensive, & you would more often than not want a pasta machine, & that's $$, & you need room to dry it.....
i have a pasta machine and prefer rolling by hand. i dry by coating with corn meal and on a wire rack over a sheet pan.

Back
Top Bottom