Franco American spag and hamburger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I know this sounds horrid but my mother used to make it and we liked it. My oldest daughter actually requested it one year for her birthday dinner.

Brown 1 lb. ground beef (drain)
Diced pepper (if you have one)
s&p
Add 2 cans or 1 large of canned spaghetti (my mother used Franco American but I haven't seen it in awhile)
Heat together and serve.

We use to have in with a baked potato. Now that I am grown up, I don't see how that went together.

So, have you made it lately? Does it bring back that "comfort" feeling? That's not a bad way to stretch a meal and potatoes are a "fill your tummy inexpensively" thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this sounds horrid but my mother used to make it and we liked it. My oldest daughter actually requested it one year for her birthday dinner.

s&p
Add 2 cans or 1 large of canned spaghetti (my mother used Franco American but I haven't seen it in awhile)
Heat together and serve.

We use to have in with a baked potato. Now that I am grown up, I don't see how that went together.

Campbell Company retired the Franco American name a few years ago and is now marketing those products under other Campbell labels Uhhhh can I use my own spaghetti sauce. ??:rolleyes:

They do but the one that I/my mom used didn't have any meat product in it.

s&p
Heat together and serve.

IMO it only sounds horrid if you're a food snob :ohmy:
Nothing wrong with jazzing up a can or box of something. There's no good "takeout" around me, so that's my version of tasty fast food. I remember Franco American, too. Wasn't that the one with the tiny meatballs? Too bad it's still not marketed. Makes you wonder how Spaghettios ever made it :LOL:

Mama used to make that Franco American spaghetti thing with hamburger and peppers. She used onions, too. I loved it and still do. That was the only spaghetti she knew about until we got a little Italian restaurant in the shopping center near us. We got takeout from there. My dad would never touch any kind of spaghetti product. We didn't care. More for us...

I'm going to be starting therapy for the guilt I'm carrying for feeding my toddler Spaghetti-O's. Good grief what was I thinking? She loved them and now that she's 47 years old, she still remembers eating them. ( I have a feeling that she still does). I can't believe I fed this to my child. :sick: I AM a canned food snob, but I had forgotten all about the dozens of cans of tamales my husband and I ate in the early years. We thought they were terrific back then because we had never been to a Mexican restaurant. Funny how tastes change.

s&p
Heat together and serve.

My mother would just heat up the spaghetti and serve it with fried hamburger patties, which I would cut up and dip in ketchup, and a vegatable, call it dinner? We didn't mind.

Uh-oh Spaghetti-O's!

Franco American spaghetti without meatballs was probably an attempt to cut into the Chef Boyardee market - by eliminating the meatballs they could sell their product for less - and Moms didn't have to count meatballs to make sure every kid got the same number. :ermm:

Spaghetti-O's didn't come out until about 1965 - and it was a genious idea ... kids could eat it with a spoon without making a mess, unlike spaghetti. It has probably survived to this day, under the Campbell label, because it still fits into the same niche ... and to compete Chef Boyardee has meatless "alphabet" and "dinosaurs" pasta in sauce - there is no challenge in eating an "O" - but you are a mighty hunter if you eat a "T-Rex", and you can't spell your name with your food if the only letters you get are "O"!

I pity the can snobs ... for they shall never enjoy some of the finer meals from the 1950's. :LOL:

Uh-oh Spaghetti-O's!

I pity the can snobs ... for they shall never enjoy some of the finer meals from the 1950's. :LOL:

I am a can snob and can't even imagine what canned spaghetti sauce could taste like, BUT, I do remember Spaghetti-O's. My kids loved them back in the mid 60's and couldn't get enough. Now the thought of it grosses me out. AAACCCKKK.

i didn't mind chix noodle soup or spaghettios or grillod cheeses with plastic cheese. i'm a food snob now & i own canned pasta. so.....

:LOL::LOL: When I was a lot younger I would buy Chef BoyArDee as a diet tool it was low in calories and fat and oh so bland so I ate just enough to quelch the hunger as it did not make me want to eat a lot of it. Kind of a sucky diet when you can have fresh salads etc but I just didn't know any better in those days.:)

Back
Top Bottom