Help with easy, budget meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an entire category of Cheap and Family Friendly Meals, here's just a few:

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...9/29/hamburger-curry-stew-cheap-and-friendly/

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthede...08/10/tuna-not-like-the-lunch-hall-casserole/

Also, if you do a search here on DC you'll find a boat load of help:

https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f142/

Hope this helps

I'm going to re-think this recipe and say rather than make your own Velouté use a can of Cream Of ... whatever you've got! It's a Tuna Casserole ;)

Wow taxy and Ginny, good questions that I had in the back of my mind as well.
Myself, I make many donations to our local food bank. Mostly canned goods, dried pastas & beans, boxed-dried foods, canned meats like Spam® and Vienna Sausages.
I also donate frozen items like, chicken parts, hash browns/potatoes, vegetables.

Marlingardener, are these the types of items that are available through your food bank and market?

Also, your feeling is that your class this go-around are young-ish single Mom's, do they get WIC benefits? Are any other government programs? Where we lived previously, Mom's would get what every bulk items like a 5lbs. block of cheese that is about to expire.

That could make a huge difference. That can make a lot of meals that depend on cheese for protein accessible. Otherwise, cheese is often more expensive than ground meat and then it's not nearly as useful for a budget friendly meal.

How likely is it that your students will have some of the following equipment at home: food processor, immersion blender, meat grinder?

That could make a huge difference. That can make a lot of meals that depend on cheese for protein accessible. Otherwise, cheese is often more expensive than ground meat and then it's not nearly as useful for a budget friendly meal.

Right Taxy?

And Marlingardener, have we mentioned meat-less Lasagna yet?
I'm always donating dried Lasagna noodles and jarred/canned Spaghetti Sauce.

What I've taken to doing is when things go on sale dirt cheap I buy a bunch specifically for the food bank.
In addition, we have, for lack of a better term, a discount food store and I buy a bunch of stuff there too.

My Neighborhood Gal Pals and I, along with my Mother now, go to the community next to us to play Bingo. If I win, I take those earnings and buy food goods just for the food bank.

AND, if farmers are donating fresh veg, here's an idea for meat-less Lasagna that I high jacked from a chef in another forum:

"Using oven ready egg pasta sheets...One layer is spinach, another is diced zucchini, tomato, red onion, and the third is cottage cheese..A thin layer of tomato sauce in each layer, as I didn't want it to be a sloppy mess, and a bit of Parmesan, mozzarella and diced black olives on top. Then, I topped it up with some vegetable broth and baked for an hour.."

AND, if farmers are donating fresh veg, here's an idea for meat-less Lasagna that I high jacked from a chef in another forum:

"Using oven ready egg pasta sheets...One layer is spinach, another is diced zucchini, tomato, red onion, and the third is cottage cheese..A thin layer of tomato sauce in each layer, as I didn't want it to be a sloppy mess, and a bit of Parmesan, mozzarella and diced black olives on top. Then, I topped it up with some vegetable broth and baked for an hour.."

When I was a vegetarian, I did something like that. I used thin slices of eggplant instead of zucchini, because it isn't as soggy. I also used my homemade ground beef substitute. I would take some cooked or canned beans and put them through the meat grinder with some onion. I would fry that up and add it to the tomato sauce and use that for spaghetti or for lasagna. I also made the lasagna sheets, because it wasn't possible to buy wholewheat lasagna noodles back then.

The USDA and state Cooperative Extension offices have lots of recipes and tips on eating healthy on a budget. Here's an example, with a recipe for corn and black bean salsa. It could be a snack with tortilla chips or a side dish.

https://www.uaex.uada.edu/counties/...Can Be the Building Blocks to Your Meals.aspx

This "create a soup" recipe demonstrates how to substitute what's available and what people prefer to eat when putting together a soup, which can be a filling meal.

https://extension.unh.edu/blog/2020/04/create-soup

Last edited:
Kaneohegirlinaz Your
Instant Pot® Egg Bites, My Way

has the recipe and you broke down the cost/egg bite. That would be a nice one (individual portions and not expensive) for people that include animal products in their diets.

Kaneohegirlinaz Your
Instant Pot® Egg Bites, My Way

has the recipe and you broke down the cost/egg bite. That would be a nice one (individual portions and not expensive) for people that include animal products in their diets.

Yeah, but ya know Bliss, the prices are nowhere near what they were 2 years ago!

My original post as compared to the red font with today's prices:

Eggs: $2.50/dz. = 20¢/Egg - $2.72/dz. = 22.3¢/egg
Bacon Bites: ($1.33/30 Tbsp.) ÷ 3) ÷ 3 = 2¢ - $1.58/30Tb (etc) = 5¢
Cheese: (38¢/oz. X 2) ÷ 3 = 25¢ - 43¢/oz (etc) = 29¢
Milk: ($1.90/qt. ÷ 16) ÷ 3 = 4¢ - $2.17/qt (etc) = 4.5¢
Butter: (22¢/oz.) I used about 1 tsp. total = 11¢ ÷ 3 = 4¢ - 22.4¢/oz (etc) = 4.5¢

I come up with 55¢ per Egg Bite - 65.3¢ per Egg Bite

The prices of that same brand of prepared Egg Bites that I was comparing to is now $4.99 for 2 bites. So that now makes them $2.495 per bite.
That's a savings of $1.842 per bite !!!

And again, these are the prices at my local Walmart here in Cowboyville Arizona.

Last edited:
Lentils are an inexpensive and nutritious food that often gets a bad rap.

I cook 1/2 cup of lentils in 1 1/2 cups of water with chopped onion and a packet of GOYA beef-flavored bouillon for approx. 30 minutes until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.

The cooked lentils can be used in any recipe calling for ground beef crumbles.

I like to add the lentils to a jar of pasta sauce and serve them over angel hair pasta for an inexpensive meal.

They are also good in Sloppy Joes, Spanish rice, chili, lasagna, soups, etc...

I've read many articles that combining lentils with grains, nuts, and seeds in the same meal creates a complete protein similar to that found in meat or dairy products.

Information on simple snacks for kids might be welcome. Things like using plain popcorn on the stovetop or in the microwave, frozen yogurt pops, hummus from canned garbanzo beans as a dip, etc...

Once the group is comfortable you might open up a discussion of their strategies for stretching a dollar. Anyone that feeds a family on a SNAP budget is bound to have some real-world boots-on-the-ground experience that would be worth sharing.

Last edited:
KinAZ, the mothers do get WIC, but that has been cut back recently. They were on tight budgets before, and now it's even tighter.
I do want to thank you all for your help, deeply grateful!
I spent most of yesterday afternoon writing out the recipes I feel (hope) are within the skill and economic scope of the class members. There are three pages of recipes complete with explicit instructions, type of pot/pan to use, and anything else that might be helpful.

A local bank with a copier has volunteered to make the recipe hand-outs, and a local grocery and the church loaning us their kitchen have stepped up with needed ingredients for everyone to make one dish. This is becoming a community effort, but without all of you sharing ideas, knowledge, and recipes, it wouldn't be happening. Pat yourselves on the back!

Kaneohegirlinaz, thanks for doing an updated cost on those egg bites!

Looking at cost, for grains but more so with beans and legumes.

The price of produce, say broccoli is 99 cents/lb (depends on your area and which store). When you are preparing it, you may lose a small percentage to waste. Let's say you cut off the bottom of the crown, but then wash and chop both the trees and the stalks. What you are eating costs a little more than the 99 cent/lb, maybe $1.10/lb.

An orange, you only eat 2/3rd of it and throw out the peel, compost the rest, to fortify your flower beds or gardens.

The price of meat or eggs, stays relatively stable too. The steak shrinks a little, or when cheese melts it doesn't lose weight much, or cooking an egg, it stays pretty much the same $/lb.

The price of rice, for example a brown basmati rice, may cost $1.65/lb, but when you cook it, it gets hydrated. 4 cups turns into 3 quarts, so $3/lb dry rice turns into $3/6 lbs, or $0.50/lb.
The price of beans, for example black beans (not the least expensive of them), $2/lb. 4 cups (or about 2 lbs) costs $4/lb dry black beans, but once cooked, more than 3 qts of beans of 6 lbs of cooked blacked beans, $4/6 or $0.66/lb.

The price of lentils averages $1/lb here, same calculations, $0.33/lb cooked lentils.

How lbs fit into menu. Most adults eat about 5 lbs of food per day.
Somewhere in the middle, your food can cost $10/lb or $0.33/lb...so depending on your budget, you can move your food costs around to the way you like them. For 5 lbs of food, you can pay $50 or $5 per person per day. The cost can be brought down further with growing your own community plot or garden. In our state food benefits can be used for seeds and transplants to grow food.

Dehydrated egg noodles go well with pretty much anything. Over here you can get a pack of four for like $2.00.

Adding in some streaky bacon that can be cut into smaller sections works. It's probably about $0.80c per person if you're using only 1-2 slices each.

Optional additions are things like butter, herbs and spices. It's possible to do a twist on Shoyu ramen using the same ingredients, but it's a little more expensive.

Nothing exciting, but tasty and quite filling for not a lot of money.

KinAZ, the mothers do get WIC, but that has been cut back recently. They were on tight budgets before, and now it's even tighter.
I do want to thank you all for your help, deeply grateful!
I spent most of yesterday afternoon writing out the recipes I feel (hope) are within the skill and economic scope of the class members. There are three pages of recipes complete with explicit instructions, type of pot/pan to use, and anything else that might be helpful.

A local bank with a copier has volunteered to make the recipe hand-outs, and a local grocery and the church loaning us their kitchen have stepped up with needed ingredients for everyone to make one dish. This is becoming a community effort, but without all of you sharing ideas, knowledge, and recipes, it wouldn't be happening. Pat yourselves on the back!

Thanks for stepping up to do the class! And, thanks for including us in your process too! It is nice to feel that I contributed in even some small way!

Do you know how many students you will have in the class? Please do let us know how it goes!

You rock, Marlingardener!

A nice simple meal can serve 4 people. For example, a four-pound chicken, usually $2.79, can be stripped of its skin and bones, diced, and come to about four servings. You can mix the chicken with some potatoes and carrots, or to add a bit of flavor, add a tablespoon of dried parsley and minced garlic. Salt, pepper and maybe a little chili powder. A 10-pound bag of potatoes will cost you about $2.50. Add a chopped onion and a can of chicken broth and you have a hearty chicken and vegetable stew that will serve 4 people. Another recipe (more of a one-course meal) would be baked potatoes with salsa and sour cream.

Seriously? Around here the cheapest I see whole chicken for is about CAD 3.49 per pound.

yup, was just looking at a small chicken at "No Frills", don't know the weight but it was $14.00. Waterdown, Ontario, Canada. Whole Chicken is not cheap! and rarely comes on special.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom