Lentil Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike in brooklyn

Senior Cook
Hi all - I'm a new member and would like to share this relatively low
cost meal good for family of 4 for 2 meals.

.5 lb Red lentils
1.5 lb carrots - 1/2 inch pieces
1.5 lb zucchini 1/2 inch pieces
1 lb red potato - 1/2 inch cube
1.5 lb turnip or daikon 1/2 inch pieces
1.5 lb mushrooms.
1.5 lb onions diced.
1 28 oz can crushed or whole tomato.
1-2 can chicken or vegetable broth.
Peanut oil for saute.
3-6 tbs Curry powder (I use Javin brand - local asian market)
2-3 tbs powder or fresh minced ginger.
2-3 tbs powdered garlic (or 1 whole head garlic minced)
2 tbs (to taste) cayenne.
2 tbs Turmeric.
Salt - to taste.
Bulgar wheat (optional)

In large pot (6 qts or more)
Saute onions in oil - when translucent add all spices and saute for a min or two more.
Add dried rinsed lentils, tomato and vegetable broth.
Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 min.
Add more broth or tomato if mixture is too dry.

Separately saute all vegetables except potato until they are cooked
but not too soft. Reserve vegetables.

After 20 min add potato to lentil mixture and continue to cook
till potato is cooked.

If stew is too watery after potato is cooked - add 1/2 cup of Bulgar
cover pot and allow to sit 15 min.

Add remaining cooked vegetables and mix everything together.

hint - I put the vegetables in the microwave for 3 min before saute - they cook quicker that way.

That looks FABULOUS Mike!! My husband isn't a lentil fan, but with all the other good stuff in there, he probably wouldn't notice - lol!! Anyway - thanks for sharing!!

Constance - without stepping on Mike's toes, I'd say definitely. I too can frequently only get brown lentils around here so often sub them for the other varieties. The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes the brown ones can take a little longer to cook than the smaller red, yellow, & green ones, but in this particular stew recipe I don't think that would be a problem. In any case, just taste-test one to be sure before serving.

This recipe fascinates me --- I love lentils, but don't eat them often. The "stew" idea sounds good! Since this has a lot of carbs I'll have to make it as a "party time" meal one week-end when I allow myself to "cheat' a little.

Thanks for the idea!!!

Hi all - nice to meet you.
Re: the recipe. I rarely use recipes - cook based on what is cheap
and good at the markets - taste and taste and taste during the cooking and adjust seasoning and spices throughout the process.

You can certainly substitute brown lentils - but they wont have the same
texture as red. The red lentils breakdown into a sort of a porridge - similar to oatmeal - when cooked.

You can also substitute any of the vegetables (except the onion - who can cook any stew without onion? :=) ). I always used to add red and yellow peppers and eggplant - but arthritis doesn't go well with these
niteshade family vegetables.

Goya packages red lentils and they are available at every market here in
beautiful Brooklyn NY.

:chef:

This soup is more like a stew

Brown Rice and Lentil Soup

1 and one-half cups diced carrots
1 cup chopped onion
one-half cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced mushrooms
3 cloves garlic, chopped
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 14 oz can tomatoes, corsely chopped
1 and one-half cups brown lentils
l cup uncooked brown rice
1 and one-half teaspon dried basil
1 and one-half teaspoon dried thyme
1 and one-half teaspoon dried oregano
one-half teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
In a large ketle, combine the veggies, stock, tomatoes, lentils, rice and herbs, excpet for the parsley. Bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 35 minutes or until the lentils and rise are tender. Season with salt and pepper, remove the bay leaves, add the parsley and serve.
Makes about 8 servings. Preparation time about 1 hour. Note: lentils do not need to be soaked before cooking. Enjoy Aria

Thanks for posting an alternitive Aria - I do make
the stew with brown lentils and even yellow split peas
and use either liquid smoke or smoked turkey wings as
an additional flavoring.

The Lentil Stew

This is a tradition at our house during the Holidays. There is an old saying: Eat lentils during the Holiday and you will be wealthy for the New Year. One of my neighbors told us. Her Mom told her and she passes it on.

We enjoy having a hot bowl during the Holidays and of course we will take
the wealth. It is a healthy dish. Aria

Lentil Soup is an old European tradition in my family as well. You're supposed to eat it on New Year's Eve to bring wealth in the new year. Unfortunately, my dear husband doesn't care for lentils, so I usually just buy a good brand of canned for myself & force him to eat just one spoonfull - lol!!

It is common in many diverse cultures to eat legumes on New Years.

Black eyed peas is a classic - believed handed down from African culture.

In Japan they eat black beans on new year.

This week the NY Times had an article saying cassoulet is a lucky dish to eat.

I wonder how and where this tradition started and will try to find out.

I make "Cassoulet" every year for New Year's Day. Not due to any feeling that it'll bring luck; just a way to use up the leftover Xmas roast goose! ;)

I just want to thank mike_in_brooklyn for the recipe. Im in the process of making it now and it is tasting great so far. I must admit i was a little uneasy about the tbs of spices to put in, but as its coming along, its tasting great and the flavors are blending well. Initially i wasnt sure the mushrooms would work, but as im tasting it, i can definitely see how the mushroom works with the spices. Im still questioning the turnip ( havnt added it yet) but everything seems to be going well so far, why not :)

larry

Back
Top Bottom