Ramen Noodles - More than just Sodium in a Bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I became very adept at transforming Ramen noodles whilst in college.

Dried Mushrooms (reconstituted, water used to cook noodles of course) help a great deal.

I always had fish-cake around, so I'd cut some up and toss that in too.

Kim Chi goes great on top. As does a little bit of nori, and/or some tofu. Furikake can add flavor, and dried bonito dashi can add a lot of flavor to the oft-weak seafood-flavored varieties.

Ramen is an excellent platform for leftovers in general. The noodles themselves can often be not half bad, but it always needs augmentation. You can really put almost anything in there.

I just love those Ramen Noodles. They are the most tastiest noodles around.
I like to cook them according to pkg. and then add crumbled fried hamburger and salt and pepper and a little butter. YUMMY!

I'm starting to feel like the odd one out :LOL: I don't think I've ever bought or eaten ramen noodles. It wasn't something I grew up with, so it's just never occurred to me to pick them up (when I was in college, I lived on Kraft Spaghetti with Meat Sauce, which they don't make anymore :( ), but there are lots of good ideas here.

We ate a lot of ramen when I was younger. My husband and I were just speaking about this last night. My uncle used to pour in a beaten egg and some green onion, and I have always loved the shrimp flavor with lemon and hot sauce. It has a very spicey picante flavor that will CLEAR those nasal passages right up! ;)

I don't eat them since I started trying to avoid MSG and hydrogenated oils. I'm actually a bit surprised that I'm the first to mention it. I haven't seen them all, but I've checked a number of brands and all the ones I've seen were fried in hydrogenated oil.

I do use instant chinese noodles, which I've only recently discovered. They are soft and refrigerated in a vacuum sealed pack. The cooking directions are to boil for 10 seconds, so they're quick and easy. No "flavor" packet, but I don't miss it.

the sodium content in many of those noodle bowls is outrageous! i bought a pack of them in costco and ended up giving them away because, when you do the math (2 servings per bowl x 52% of r.d.a. of sodium per serving = 104% :huh:) you'd be better off just standing around the salt lick with the other cattle.

i like the idea of chucking the spice/salt packet and making it into a healthier meal with some aromatic additions.

russel, if you want to avoid the oils, check out baked ramen. they're hard to find and a bit pricier, but a lot healthier. sans the salt packet, of course.

I always remenber my sister talking about them when she first moved out and on her own.(Many Moons ago) Her best friend and her shared an apartment and I guess the eyes were bigger then the wallet, money was tight and sometimes they didn't have much to buy food so then they found remain soup at our market most of the time is 10 for 10.00 they learned to survive and budget money. of course they never let on they were hurting. Wanted to prove they could do it I guess. Today they are doing great.

If you have an Asian market or a supermarket with a decent Asian food aisle you can find ramen noodles minus the spice/soup packet. Our local Walmart carries them & that's what I buy these days for my ramen noodle dishes, although I do enjoy the soups occasionally as well - especially the imported specialty ones the Asian markets sell.

I have always liked the idea of them but there is way too much salt in them for me. It is far better to make your own version of a Chinese noodle dish with your own seasonings.

I agree with BT's rather colorful description that you might as well have salt-lick next to you......when I have the time I like to add my own chcken broth, shrimp, pork and or chicken, chopped cabbage, broccoli slaw, chopped green onions, then topped it all off with bean sprouts......oh, and if I'm feeling partiularly spicy (which is most of the time), a touch of spiracha sauce..

I tried eating some a couple years back, I just can't do it. My body rejects the stuff. Brings back my gag reflex from all that time in college I had to live off the stuff.

How can anyone not love noodles?? lol

Oh, I love noodles. I can happily eat yakisoba a couple times a week, and I can seemingly NEVER get enough of the Mongolian grill. I just can't eat ramen. There's something about it, triggers a dark recess in my brain or something. I gag it back up, no matter how it's dressed up.

My mom makes a great salad with Ramen noodles. I do not have the measurements, but it is:

2 packages of Ramen noodles
Shredded Cabbage
vinegar
oil
sugar
salt
toasted slivered almonds

You add the seasoning packs to the dressing and crumble up the noodles and mix everything together. It is delicious.

GB,

That recipe sounds similar to one I make except I use sesame oil. The last time I made it I tried using only 1 pkg. of seasoning to reduce the amount of sodium.

Chinese Chicken Salad

2 packages of Oriental flavor Top Ramen noodles
4 oz. slivered toasted almonds
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup sesame oil
1 teaspoon pepper
½ cup rice vinegar
½ - 1 cabbage head
1 bunch green onions
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Crumble ramen noodles in a large bowl. Add almonds. In separate bowl combine and mix well: ramen seasoning packets, sugar, sesame oil, pepper, and rice vinegar. Pour mixture over ramen noodles and almonds. Shred cabbage and add to bowl. Slice onions including tops and add to bowl. Add cooked shredded chicken and sesame seeds. Mix well. For best results at least two hours. Serves: 4

GB,

That recipe sounds similar to one I make except I use sesame oil. The last time I made it I tried using only 1 pkg. of seasoning to reduce the amount of sodium.

Chinese Chicken Salad

2 packages of Oriental flavor Top Ramen noodles
4 oz. slivered toasted almonds
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup sesame oil
1 teaspoon pepper
½ cup rice vinegar
½ - 1 cabbage head
1 bunch green onions
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Crumble ramen noodles in a large bowl. Add almonds. In separate bowl combine and mix well: ramen seasoning packets, sugar, sesame oil, pepper, and rice vinegar. Pour mixture over ramen noodles and almonds. Shred cabbage and add to bowl. Slice onions including tops and add to bowl. Add cooked shredded chicken and sesame seeds. Mix well. For best results at least two hours. Serves: 4

Same here, except mine also has water chestnuts. I can't imagine it w/o them!

Back
Top Bottom