SOS Variations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
LPBeier mentioned having creamed ham on toast yesterday and that got me thinking about different SOS type recipes.

Not only can you use different meats, but the "shingle" part of SOS can also be very different.

Her suggestion of putting the gravy over waffles sounded really good.

I made a sausage gravy once and poured it over buttered cornbread. YUM

Another thing I like about the white sauce is it's versatility. Adding cheese makes a whole 'nother set of flavors, depending on the kind of cheese you add.

I want to keep an eye out for some dried chipped beef for an old fashioned SOS.

What are your favorite SOS type dishes?:chef:

Theoretically yes. ;)

But SOS will always be chopped Carl Buddig beef in bechemel sauce over white toast.

I havent eaten it in maybe 40 years but we kids loved it!

I don't have a "written in stone" recipe and it def isn't very gourmet-ish :)rolleyes:), but I came up with this one a while back and it was a hit! (The "shingle" here would be the biscuit.)

Turkey A La King

-Chopped smoked turkey
-One or two cans of Cream of Chicken w/ Herbs soup
-Cooked, chopped carrots (I used canned, drained them and cut them up)
-Milk (I use 2%)
-Pepper
-Frozen peas, rinsed and thawed.
-Hot biscuits

Thin the soup a bit with the milk (maybe one can milk per can of soup used) in a sauce pan. Add in turkey and carrots. Season to taste w/ pepper. Heat and let simmer while the biscuits bake. Add in peas and heat through. Serve over hot, split biscuits.

I really should write this stuff down....seems like I added something else (maybe some poultry seasoning to taste??) but I can't remember for the life of me.

We usually use Bob Evans sausage or the chipped beef. Toast or biscuits. I've done hamburger too but we prefer the other 2 meats.

I don't have a "written in stone" recipe and it def isn't very gourmet-ish :)rolleyes:), but I came up with this one a while back and it was a hit! (The "shingle" here would be the biscuit.)

Turkey A La King

-Chopped smoked turkey
-One or two cans of Cream of Chicken w/ Herbs soup
-Cooked, chopped carrots (I used canned, drained them and cut them up)
-Milk (I use 2%)
-Pepper
-Frozen peas, rinsed and thawed.
-Hot biscuits

Thin the soup a bit with the milk (maybe one can milk per can of soup used) in a sauce pan. Add in turkey and carrots. Season to taste w/ pepper. Heat and let simmer while the biscuits bake. Add in peas and heat through. Serve over hot, split biscuits.

I really should write this stuff down....seems like I added something else (maybe some poultry seasoning to taste??) but I can't remember for the life of me.

I add pimentos. Good example.

As for gourmet, these kinds of dishes are about foolproof delicious, and is very economical as you can take one serving of meat and stretch it into dinner for two.:LOL:

I add pimentos. Good example.

As for gourmet, these kinds of dishes are about foolproof delicious, and is very economical as you can take one serving of meat and stretch it into dinner for two.:LOL:

I thought pimentos would be a good addition, too. I may try it next time. Thanks!

When I lived in the Washington, DC area, I could get Carson's/Knauss dried beef in a 4-ounce vacuum package. It's about the best dried beef I've found. The other stuff is, to me, mediocre. Can't get it here. Now I mail order it via the Internet.

The way I make my SOS is to chop the beef a bit, then saute it in 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Add 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour and whisk until it's all coated. Once that's done, I slowly whisk in 2 cups of warmed whole milk and whisk on relatively high heat until it's all incorporated and the whole thing begins to thicken nicely. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt, if needed, and serve over hot biscuits or toast.

Sometime we have it for supper. That's when I drain a can of baby peas and add it to the mixture and heat through. We love it any way it's fixed.

We love SOS (stuff on a shingle) here at Casa de Hoot....Beef, Turkey, Deer, Chicken.
Shingles vary too....Toast, biscuits, tortillas. Mighty good!

Ooooh. Please elaborate....

Sawmill Gravy = Sausage Gravy. ~~ Brown your favorite roll (bulk) sausage..Jimmy Dean etc. Add flour straight into the pan (roux) Stir and cook long enough so the flour want taste raw....Add milk/cream etc to desired thickness...Add lots of black pepper....Serve over biscuits. ~~ It's basically a bechamel sauce with lots of browned sausage. ~~~ Delicious.

Hmm. Got me thinking. How about some andouille sausage gravy? Render the sausage, throw in some trinity until softened, add some garlic until fragrant and then finish like a sausage gravy. Of course, you've got to add more cayenne!;) Cajuns would probably call it etouffee, but same idea.

Craig

Sawmill Gravy = Sausage Gravy. ~~ Brown your favorite roll (bulk) sausage..Jimmy Dean etc. Add flour straight into the pan (roux) Stir and cook long enough so the flour want taste raw....Add milk/cream etc to desired thickness...Add lots of black pepper....Serve over biscuits. ~~ It's basically a bechamel sauce with lots of browned sausage. ~~~ Delicious.

Where did the name "Sawmill" come in? Is that a regional thing, your favorite restaurant thing... a UB thing? :LOL: I know there's got to be a story behind it :)

Okay, one of my favorites. Bechamel being the gourmet name for white sauce.

Evaporated milk is good too. I like to use it with baking mix instead of flour, especially when serving over biscuits.

I like your idea too Craig. Sounds good.:chef:

Where did the name "Sawmill" come in? Is that a regional thing, your favorite restaurant thing... a UB thing? :LOL: I know there's got to be a story behind it :)

Fred, I don't think anyone knows for certain..Lots of folklore surrounding it.
One story has it; One morning at an Appalachian Sawmill camp the cook was out of sausage to serve the men for breakfast...So when he made his gravy that morning he threw in a hand full of sawdust hoping to give the gravy some texture.:LOL: There are other "stories" but I think the truth is no one really knows for certain. ~~~ Here in My South, Sawmill Gravy is sausage gravy usually served over biscuits...'Country gravy' (aka milk gravy, cream gravy) is the same basic gravy without sausage, and is generally served over country fried steak...biscuits too.

Hmm. Got me thinking. How about some andouille sausage gravy? Render the sausage, throw in some trinity until softened, add some garlic until fragrant and then finish like a sausage gravy. Of course, you've got to add more cayenne!;) Cajuns would probably call it etouffee, but same idea.

Craig

I make a Tasso/Andouille gravy (no trinity) to serve over grits...Good eats!!

Back
Top Bottom