Sour Milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Does anyone else have a family where, when milk soured, we made pancakes? It was a big, fun deal, because we didn't make pancakes often. But if someone commented that the milk was sour (I have three sisters, and I never liked milk, and a sis of mine hates it, and my mom wasn't fond of it) So the supposedly spoiled milk always became pancakes, and we were in heaven!

Claire, my mom and dad didn't waste anything, so sour milk we got either pancakes or waffles...I loath milk but loved those goodies..My sister and I both looked forward to these breakfasts and sometimes dinner.:)
kadesma

due to pasteurization and homogenization milk doesn't really sour anymore...it rots. As it begins to "turn" it is quite usable in biscuits, pancakes, waffles etc. But if it is really gone, the taste would be not so good even in baking. I keep buttermilk (which is quite acidic) on hand for such baking and the results are great.

If the milk was going bad, my mom made pudding. It was from scratch and was always chocolate. We loved to eat it warm and had a great time with the "skin" that cooled on top. Now with instant puddings so prevalent, that warm pudding is often forgotten.

due to pasteurization and homogenization milk doesn't really sour anymore...it rots. As it begins to "turn" it is quite usable in biscuits, pancakes, waffles etc. But if it is really gone, the taste would be not so good even in baking. I keep buttermilk (which is quite acidic) on hand for such baking and the results are great.

The milk I buy is only minimally pasteurized, so it does sour. I never thought of pancakes. Would someone post their recipe? That would be great. :)

The milk doesn't get a chance to sour too often, but when it does, I usually make Sour Cream Cookies, or Sour Cream Coffee Cake.

soured milk will taste sour...have a hint of the yogurt or buttermilk taste, may seem a little bit thicker or even separated. Rotting milk will have a sweet fermented odor and a fairly nauseating taste as the sugars are doing their thing whatever that is. Once the green skim forms (mold) it's all over.

A number of Amish recipes call for sour milk. I think you can add a little vinegar to regular milk and it will work for your recipe. Search it on Google.

thanks! but what exactly is going on inside the milk that makes it different? im gussing that rotten milk has more to do with bacteria or other nasties begining to develop?

but then what exactly is sour-ing?

If you want to sour milk to use for pancakes....add 1 tbsp lemon juice to one cup milk and leave for 5 minutes before using.

Back
Top Bottom