What is your limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zhizara, $33 is not a lot of money. It's a stretch to think a person could eat based on $1/day. How do you do it?

We try to spend about $90.00 a week for 2 adults & 1 child... We are currently taking the Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University course so we are using the envelope system. Each pay day we put $90.00 in it, that way we can't go over!! And if you do then there is no money to spend because there is no cash in the envelope. Then each week if we spend under the $90.00 then we add whatever is left to the next week's Grocery bill. (Example: Last week we only spent 80.00 at the grocery store for everything so this week we've got an extra $10.00 to spend if we want too) Dave stresses highly about it. Says if American's would use his envelope system we wouldn't be able to overspend every week. We try very hard not to go out to eat that much anymore. I can cook almost anything that we could order at a restaurant so we normally just eat at home. But sometimes DH likes to go out to eat just so I don't have to cook everyday of the week (which is nice) but i'd rather save money so in the end we can live like no other - Dave Ramsey's QUOTE :ROFLMAO:

In Uk I spend about £100 ($150) per week on family of 4 + cat for food, booze and all other household stuff (including nappies (diapers)). I know people who can do it for £60 ($100) but it is either a very basic diet or vegetarian (no chance here).

That does all our meals as me and the boy take packed lunches and dh and the baby eat at home except one breakfast out a week on top.

Coupons aren't really a thing here - loyalty cards (you get points on everything you spend) are for 2 of the major supermarkets but I don't shop with them as it doesn't make up for the increase in price. I do have a couple of loyalty cards that I can use on amazon and similar online shops and on my gas/electric bills and I can then spend the points on food shopping but I get so little I tend to save them up for christmas.

We also need to bear in mind that the size of shopping carts has gotten larger over the past few years, with the specific intent of getting consumers to buy more.........marketing stratagies gotta love em! :glare:

We also need to bear in mind that the size of shopping carts has gotten larger over the past few years, with the specific intent of getting consumers to buy more.........marketing stratagies gotta love em! :glare:

The Wegman's where I shop has small ones now. I always use them, I can't afford to fill up the big ones anymore! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

do they have a stick wuth an orange flag on them aunt bea?

again, those are supposed to be for kiddies to tag along with mom and dad and pretend to shop.
:cool:

again, those are supposed to be for kiddies to tag along with mom and dad and pretend to shop. :cool:

The kiddie-carts are just shrunken versions of regular carts.

There are adult-height half-carts available at several stores.

52894.jpg

Never tried to figure a weekly average. There are many things like foil, dertergents etc. that are not purchased every week. Also, we will buy meat/seafood when on sale and stock the deep freeze. If I had to guess, probably $80.00 in food, for 2.

Those smaller-version carts are nice - easy to get stuff out of. The local grocery used to have about 10 of them along with the big carts. Then one day I couldn't find one - the clerk said they disappeared -- people apparently just take them home and the store wasn't going to replace them.

I am limited to how much I can spend. I receive $168 in food stamps. And that is for one person for the month. I have a grocery list in my computer. I go over it about two days before I head out the door to shop. There are some items I never remove. Like sugar, milk, etc. I buy these whether I need them or not. Right now I have three five pound bags of sugar and two large canisters of coffee. I will have to remember to remove them. At the end of shopping I usually have about $75 dollars left to get through the rest of the month. And I usually only use half of that. So the next month I have even more money. Son #1 has my EBT card and if he runs out of his food stamps, he will use mine. And I an fine with that. With all that he does for me, I have no complaint if he needs something I can give him.

When I am baking, I spend more. Right now I am just cooking for myself. When summer comes I will be making potato salad and other dishes for my daughter for her pool parties in the back yard. So I will be spending more. Right now I buy three or four potatoes. For her parties, I will be buying a five pound bag. My spending goes up in the summer and around holidays. :chef:

The only budgeting I do is for my lunches, $25. I make sure I spend less than $5 a day for my bag lunches. If I save enough, I can order out for lunch and spend a little more every other week.

I have a full freezer of meat and a well stocked pantry. I buy canned goods at Costco once a month and spend about $200 dollars on that. Fresh produce is bought on an as needed basis.

Working it all out, I think we spend about $120 a week on groceries.

The kiddie-carts are just shrunken versions of regular carts.

There are adult-height half-carts available at several stores.

52894.jpg

apparently, they have smaller carts for buying a sense of humour.

i owed bea for that one. she's busted my chops (on occasion) with extreme prejudice.

as you know, love ya bea.

Since the beginning of March, I've spent $25 on groceries, about $7 of which was for dish washer detergent (mostly dairy and meat). I tried making my own dish washer detergent but didn't like the results. I do make my own laundry detergent--have been for about 18 months and am very happy with that.

Just my Mom and I, and it's only around 250$ a month for food, 60$ for extra's, and dog stuff (food and nail cut every 2 weeks) is around 75$

Out of my $168 a month in food stamps. I buy two very large boxes of cereal and a two pound bag of rice for our local food bank at the church. I allot $10 for the food bank. Those three items alone eat up eight dollars. I may have to increase the alloted amount in a month or two. I started out with alotting five dollars. That lasted about one year. Then it started to creep up.

The reason for the cereal is that I want to make sure some children will have a breakfast in their tummies before they head out the door to school. And the rice is so that a family will have at least one staple that will feed the whole family for more than one meal. :)

Out of my $168 a month in food stamps. I buy two very large boxes of cereal and a two pound bag of rice for our local food bank at the church. I allot $10 for the food bank. Those three items alone eat up eight dollars. I may have to increase the alloted amount in a month or two. I started out with alotting five dollars. That lasted about one year. Then it started to creep up.

The reason for the cereal is that I want to make sure some children will have a breakfast in their tummies before they head out the door to school. And the rice is so that a family will have at least one staple that will feed the whole family for more than one meal. :)

This made my heart melt :)

Addie said:

This made me smile... You are doing something AMAZING for these children. And Im sure they all greatly appreciate it. We need more people like you in the world.

Back
Top Bottom