Oatmeal?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will only eat steel cut oats and I've never understood why everyone is put off by how long it takes to prepare the quick cooking steel cut oats the old fashioned way, on top of the stove in the morning. It takes less time to cook them than it takes to cook white rice.
Mine is ready in 7 minutes of simmering, and three minutes of resting. No big deal for a superior bowl of goodness.
And 10 minutes isn't long - it's enough time to make and drink a decent pot of tea or coffee to go with the oatmeal or to do your make-up (a mirror in the kitchen might be a useful addition) or you could even get out of bed 10 minutes earlier. Worth losing the ten minutes in bed to have a decent breakfast. It will reward the effort during the day better than 10 extra minutes in bed. Remember the adage for good health - "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and supper like a pauper"

Last edited:
I already wake up two hours before I have to get to work...that's so I have time to wake up before I must shower or drive. My mornings are strictly autopilot, once I am showered and dressed, I am out the door...too much cat hair for me to stop and sit.

Face it, some people cannot function first thing in the morning, an extra 10 minutes is not going to do anything but allow us to lose sleep, it does not make our mornings better or more organized.

Less air pressure at higher altitude, water boils faster. Quick bread need a boost in leavening over 3700' and yeast products may not work the same for you. I had an adjustment coming from a higher to a lower altitude...:) Look online for high altitude tips for baking, which is what seems to be effected the most.
Water boils faster at high altitudes because it boils at a lower temperature. This is why tea tastes disgusting on aeroplanes!!

Water boils faster at high altitudes because it boils at a lower temperature. This is why tea tastes disgusting on aeroplanes!!

It is the lower air pressure that allows the water to boil sooner. Airplanes are pressurized, the low air pressure of altitude does not have any effect on boiling water inside an airplane unless it is an unpressurized cabin.

My understanding that the pressure in airplanes are the equivalent of 6,000 - 8,000 feet. That's why there is a condition called jet lag and can effect medical conditions. Enough pressure to create a sea level altitude would cause too much wear and tear on the plane.

ATK did a show about cooking steel cut oats where they partial cooked them the night before, and then heated them up the next morning. Supposedily only takes about 10 minutes the next morning. I too love the steel cut, but I don't have the extra cooking time in the morining, so I usually go to Old Fashion.

Less air pressure at higher altitude, water boils faster. Quick bread need a boost in leavening over 3700' and yeast products may not work the same for you. I had an adjustment coming from a higher to a lower altitude...:) Look online for high altitude tips for baking, which is what seems to be effected the most.
Gosh, I never knew that. I knew about boiling water (tea on aeroplanes always tastes disgusting) but didn't realise that it affected bread rising as well. Are cake mixtures affected the same way?

Airplanes are pressurized, the low air pressure of altitude does not have any effect on boiling water inside an airplane unless it is an unpressurized cabin.
Well, perhaps you should tell the flight crew that because when I declined a second cup of tea on a long haul flight and commented that the tea tasted dreadful the stewardess explained that it was because the water boils at a lower temp due to the altitude.

Yes, cake mixtures are affected. I messed up a couple of cakes before I got it figured out.

As for the tea...the altitude has nothing to do with it if the cabin is pressurized. In an unpressurized cabin the water boils at a lower temp, I would question more where they get their water.

Yes, cake mixtures are affected. I messed up a couple of cakes before I got it figured out.

As for the tea...the altitude has nothing to do with it if the cabin is pressurized. In an unpressurized cabin the water boils at a lower temp, I would question more where they get their water.

Air pressure in an airplane in flight is not sea level air pressure. I have heard it's equal to about 5000 feet in altitude.

Nice to know, I figured they would do sea level or maybe the level they start at, easing off if they are going to a higher altitude.

Thanks, Andy!

I can make Irish oatmeal in my rice cooker, and I can make it while I am showering because I don't have to babysit the rice cooker. Like Ron Popeil says "Set it, and forget it!"

I made an apple cinnamon oatmeal the other day and it tasted AMAZING!!!! Found the recipe on pinterest

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Pressure changes inside a pressurized aircraft. You may be flying at 30,000 feet, but the internal cabin pressure is that of about 7,000 feet altitude. You can feel the pressure gradually decrease from take off, at ground altitude, until you get to cruising altitude. It's why your ears pop. A scuba diver feels the same ear-popping as he/she descends, or ascends through the column of water.

When the plane begins its descent, the cabin pressure is increased gradually so that the inside pressure is the same as the outside pressure when the plane lands.

So yes, the pressure inside the cabin decreases as the plane climbs, to a level that maintains enough density to insure sufficient oxygen content for human survival, and still nto blow up the plane with too much pressure.

Water will boil at a lower temperature when the plane is at cruising altitude.

Even at the altitude of the Great Lakes, we need to add 11.2 pounds of pressure to get water to boil at the same temperature as it does at sea level. And our altitude is at 702 feet above sea level, not near the 7,000 foot pressure that is in the airplane cabin.

Just sos ya knows.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I make mine the same way as 40_Caliber, with water, only I prepare it before I go to bed and then heat it slowly for a few minutes in the morning. The soaking releases the starches and that is what makes it extra creamy. I take mine with a pinch of salt except on Christmas or New Years Day when one adds a little brown sugar, a tiny splash of cream and a drizzle of Whiskey.Then it becomes Oatmeal Royale and sets you up for the day ahead. Well, it works for me!( quite Scottish I think)

Back
Top Bottom