Simple cooking tips with easy recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quickfoodie

Assistant Cook
So I was looking for help cooking for my family rather than getting fastfood all the time and I came across Walmart's new cooking show with Cheryl Dent. All her meals are quick and she offers great tips for any future cooking I do, which is hopefully a lot more now that I know there are healthy and quick options that are way cheaper than eating out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you understand cooking methods, recipes become much easier. I like Julia Child's old videos.

Once you understand cooking methods, recipes become much easier. I like Julia Child's old videos.
True... I'm just usually in a pinch and have to resort to less than par ingredients than Ms. Child's :)... lol I loved that movie so much!

Less par? Roasting a chicken works with those you can get at wal-mart. It's about method, not using fancy ingredients.

I guess you're right... I do remember some show that had someone prepare the same meal using dollar store ingredients versus gourmet ingredients and the taste tester said there was a difference but both were very good.
anyway, thanks for the support

We have hired a cook which does not prepare food as good as my mother but certainly better than having food outside. She does not charge much, only 300 bucks per person which i guess is far cheaper than having food outside daily. In cases where she does not turn up for a day, we are not left with any other option than to order from outside.

Julia Child Quote

My favorite Julia Child quote sums up my philosophy of cooking:

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients."

And often you don't need very many ingredients either.

There are some foods I will get at Wal mart, and some that I won't. i won't purchace their fresh meat. It is very low quality. I will pay the little bit extra from our local supermarkets, or go to our local butcher. The meat is so much better. I won't go into the horror stories I've heard about Wal Mart meat. I can't substantiate them. But I don't trust them either. I'll purchace name brand, pre-prepaired meats from them, such as Nathan's Hot Dogs, and such though.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i won't purchace their fresh meat. It is very low quality. I will pay the little bit extra from our local supermarkets, or go to our local butcher. ... I'll purchace name brand, pre-prepaired meats from them, such as Nathan's Hot Dogs, and such though.

I am the same way, and I have found that the meat at walmrt is not always the cheapest, specially if you watch the sales.

I think it may depend on your particular Wal-Mart store. Mine has very good quality meat - always fresh, good cuts without obvious blemishes. A high turnover rate helps. It's also nice that a store butcher is available if you have a question, complaint or special order. It's just not very cheap meat, but keeping my attention as long as I can find markdowns.

My WalMart store is number 2 (The second store ol' Sam ever opened.)

i buy everything from my vons market. their meat is good. produce , ok. i use them because they deliever to my house. they always have bargains in different departments. some buy one get one free and card discounts. works for me.

Back
Top Bottom