"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine > The Wine Cellar
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #1
Cook

Best reasonably-priced wine/food matches?

We love wine and have a decent cellar, with some upmarket bottles. But I'm thinking more of a resource for weeknight cooking on a budget. No hideously expensive wines, nor ultra-cheap plonk, either. A range of $8-20 per bottle seems reasonable.

I'll open with a wine we love. We buy it by the case and have gone through many cases over the years. It never disappoints. Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel. $9-11 per bottle.

It's perfect with red-sauce Mediterranean dishes: spaghetti, pizza, lasagna, eggplant parmesan. Also good with roast chicken and light but savory meals.

Bitser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:23 PM   #2
Cook

I'll alternate red to white. Here's another wine we buy in case lots. Harken barrel-fermented chardonnay from California. About $12-14 retail.

Delicious! It has the classic California chardonnay richness with buttery oak, but not too much. More than once, we've poured it and had guests ask what it was. Some white wines give my wife headaches (probably sulfites) but this one doesn't.

Goes with white-sauce pasta dishes, fish, frittata, omelette, quiche, risotto.

Excellent stuff for a reasonable price.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

Hot dogs and Boone's Farm?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But seriously, I can't drink anymore, and was never a big wine aficionado, but the ex-wife and I used to enjoy drinking German varieties of wine with fresh fruits and cheeses. Wines like Riesling or Gewurztraminer.

CD
Old 06-10-2021, 08:35 PM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Hot dogs and Boone's Farm?

Not since my first year at college. How about sloe gin in a chocolate milkshake? It's a wonder we didn't get sick more often.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitser View Post
Not since my first year at college. How about sloe gin in a chocolate milkshake? It's a wonder we didn't get sick more often.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:10 PM   #6
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitser View Post
eh, about that getting sick part, I have stories...

Seeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I like the Bogle Zin too.

My daughter put me onto this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92BA3516-0D9B-4197-93D7-9D1E9F57F2FC_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	47307  
Old 06-11-2021, 09:29 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been known to keep a few bottles of wine cellared.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Cook

Catena Alamos Red Blend ($10-12)

A dark, dense wine that's excellent with grilled meats and vegetables. Rich without overwhelming the food, also pleasant for sipping with appetizers.

—65% Malbec: plum, blackberry, and black cherry flavors typical of Mendoza.

—16% Bonarda: (also called Charbono) adds color, dried fruit, leather and black olive.

—10% Cabernet Sauvignon: berry and slight herbal notes.

—9% Syrah: spicy black pepper and blueberry.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:07 PM   #10
Cook

Wonderful for summer: Airlie Muller-Thurgau Riesling. From Oregon's Willamette Valley, a crisp, mildly sweet white with a rounded fruit bouquet, accented by pear and orange blossom aromas. Great with appetizers and spicy Asian food. $15-18.

Airlie also bottles a dry Muller-Thurgau riesling that's equally good.

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #11
Cook

Australia, infamous for jammy, industrial plonk, also produces some excellent reds. The warm climate of established areas, such as the Barossa Valley, favors the red grapes grown in the Rhône valley of France: Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre, and Carignan.

Among the outstanding red blends, a favorite of mine is the Gamekeeper's Red from St. Hallett, established in 1944. The 2018 blends Shiraz (65%), Grenache (26%) & Touriga (9%). The winery bottles several excellent upmarket reds but The Gamekeeper's Reserve costs $12-14 and is meant to be drunk fairly young.

Medium weight, yet full-bodied, it tastes of red fruit with the supple tannins of Shiraz and raspberry from the Grenache, while Touriga (a Portuguese grape) adds accents of rose petals and spice.

It goes well with lamb or game, whether grilled or in casseroles or stews, and equally with Provençal-style dishes such as cassoulet.

Old Today, 05:37 PM   #12
Cook

Summer calls for fresh-tasting wines that can be chilled and not lose their edge. Sauvignon blanc grapes, whether in muscadet from France, fumé blanc from California, or the wealth of wines produced in New Zealand, are a standard with fresh seafood and shellfish, light pasta dishes, and (believe it or not) French onion soup.

Mud House, a South Island winery, is known for it's crisp whites: a sauv blanc from Marlborough and also an excellent pinot gris.

This is a wine we buy in case lots. When we lived in New Zealand we spent a lot of time visiting wineries, tasting and eating. A fault (to my palate) of NZ sauv blanc is an excess of grapefruity acidity— if you want grapefruit juice, then order it. This wine leads with melon and tropical fruit, and a creamy texture backed up with citrus. In that respect, it resembles another NZ favorite, St. Clair sauv blanc, which costs a lot more. At $12-14, it's a bargain.

Tags
food, rice, wine